Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 10:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Lottery

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 6 years ago by johnb73.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19904 Posts
Posted: November 10, 2010, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

How about a lottery that picked its winner out of the pool of players who actually purchased a ticket. Kind of like a super 50/50 draw. Any interest?

That sounds a lot like Ohio's New Year Raffle.  They are selling 500,000 tickets starting with number 000001 and ending with 500000 and on New Year Day 2011, they will pull numbers, not names, and award prizes to the holders of tickets with those numbers.  Top prize is $1,000,000.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kingston Ontario
    Canada
    Member #100367
    November 10, 2010
    10 Posts
    Posted: November 10, 2010, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

The administrator is the government, not one person who works for them. The government is always the biggest beneficiary of the lottery. They supposedly use the money to fund education, healthcare and other government programs.

It seems like we're getting a little off topic, I was just simply asking if there would be any interest in a lottery with better odds for large jackpots. Some of the largest jackpots in the world like Powerball and Euro Millions have astronomical odds of winning. In a 50/50 type scenario, more like 80/20, there would be a guarenteed winner and the jackpots could be limitless.

Kingston Ontario
      Canada
      Member #100367
      November 10, 2010
      10 Posts
      Posted: November 10, 2010, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

How much are the tickets?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: November 11, 2010, 4:11 am - IP Logged

How much are the tickets?

I think you would have a lot of options and maybe that's the way a national lottery could go.

Different ticket prices for different prize levels and so forth.

And have the vig go to pay down the national debt.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Kingston Ontario
          Canada
          Member #100367
          November 10, 2010
          10 Posts
          Posted: November 11, 2010, 10:08 am - IP Logged

What if we opened up the lottery to the world! With the power of the internet it would be easy. Massive jackpots, more large prizes per draw, way better odds.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7344 Posts
            Posted: November 11, 2010, 11:44 am - IP Logged

What if we opened up the lottery to the world! With the power of the internet it would be easy. Massive jackpots, more large prizes per draw, way better odds.

State lotteries are looking for ways to increase their sales to get get more profits for their state because they already get around a 50% return on most of their games. While larger jackpots in games like PB and MM help states get larger sales, I don't see how offering better odds would help them maintain their profit margin unless the spike in sales was extraordinarily higher.

Kingston Ontario
              Canada
              Member #100367
              November 10, 2010
              10 Posts
              Posted: November 11, 2010, 11:53 am - IP Logged

I'm not really worried about the state maintaining their margin. However, if you sold tickets around the world (internet) your could raise the stakes for everyone and still give better odds. I'm surprised you're concerned about the states take and not about your's.

Jack-C's avatar - us
                San Diego, CA
                United States
                Member #61467
                May 24, 2008
                28146 Posts
                Posted: November 11, 2010, 11:56 am - IP Logged

That sounds a lot like Ohio's New Year Raffle.  They are selling 500,000 tickets starting with number 000001 and ending with 500000 and on New Year Day 2011, they will pull numbers, not names, and award prizes to the holders of tickets with those numbers.  Top prize is $1,000,000.

A number of states do that from time to time.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7344 Posts
                  Posted: November 11, 2010, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

I'm not really worried about the state maintaining their margin. However, if you sold tickets around the world (internet) your could raise the stakes for everyone and still give better odds. I'm surprised you're concerned about the states take and not about your's.

I'm not concerned about lottery profits just know from experience, they won't lower the odds unless it's for a free ticket. The odds against winning MM and PB are exactly the same in every drawings, but the players can get better payoff odds on the same buck by waiting until the jackpot gets higher. $140 million for $1 is better than $12 million for $1 if that's their reason for playing.

For secondary prizes with fixed payoffs nothing changes, but players can get better payoff odds by playing Megaplier or Powerplay. However this doesn't change the overall odds of 1 in 35 or 1 in 40 of winning any prize. Even if a new type of lottery game raised the payoffs on secondary prizes, it wouldn't help much. The odds against matching 4 MM numbers is 15,313 to 1 just to get a $150 payoff and 19,030 to 1 on PB to get a $100 payoff. 

Lotteries could raise the secondary prize payoffs by lowering the percentage of the Jackpot roll, but are people playing for larger jackpots or larger secondary prizes?

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: November 11, 2010, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Or we could hold a "Price Is Right" lottery.  Whoever has the closest numbers to the actual numbers drawn without going over, wins the jackpot.

Or wins the chance to pick "Door #1?  Door #2?  Or Door #3".  The money would be behind whichever door was not picked by the "winner".  Just like they do on television.

What could go wrong?

Winged-Dove's avatar - butterfly3
                      Tallmadge, Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #99273
                      October 22, 2010
                      296 Posts
                      Posted: November 11, 2010, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Or we could hold a "Price Is Right" lottery.  Whoever has the closest numbers to the actual numbers drawn without going over, wins the jackpot.

Or wins the chance to pick "Door #1?  Door #2?  Or Door #3".  The money would be behind whichever door was not picked by the "winner".  Just like they do on television.

What could go wrong?

I am sure that there probably is something that could go wrong....

Kingston Ontario
                        Canada
                        Member #100367
                        November 10, 2010
                        10 Posts
                        Posted: November 12, 2010, 10:13 am - IP Logged

Myself, I don't play the large jackpot lotteries to win a hundred bucks and I don't think anyone else does either. If the ticket sales were large enough they could easily give several million dollar secondary prizes. That would greatly increase your odds of winning a significant prize. If you had a jackpot worth $200 million, why not reduce the jackpot to $100 million, and have 20, $5million secondary prizes.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: November 12, 2010, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Myself, I don't play the large jackpot lotteries to win a hundred bucks and I don't think anyone else does either. If the ticket sales were large enough they could easily give several million dollar secondary prizes. That would greatly increase your odds of winning a significant prize. If you had a jackpot worth $200 million, why not reduce the jackpot to $100 million, and have 20, $5million secondary prizes.

I like that idea.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10392 Posts
                            Posted: November 12, 2010, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

johnb73,

You're right about playing to win a jackpot and I like the idea you present, but given the current format with one set of winning numbers, how would the top prize be cut in half and the other half be divvied out 20 ways?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kingston Ontario
                              Canada
                              Member #100367
                              November 10, 2010
                              10 Posts
                              Posted: November 15, 2010, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

I'm talking about a format where you buy a ballot, not a numbered ticket. All the ballot buyers are assigned a number and the winners are picked from the pool of people who purchased.  So you're odds are determined by the number of ballots sold. Think of it like a massive 50/50 draw only the prize would be more like 80 or 90% not 50.