Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you agree - Pick 3 is played by poor people mainly

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Cupcake10.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
Member #91718
May 23, 2010
690 Posts
Posted: November 12, 2010, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

I'm just asking a question because I have read or heard this several times and would like to know how true is it. I think many people really don't know that it's one of the easiest game to win. The odds are more in your favor vs. the other games. It may pay out less but if you know what you are doing than it can work for you and pay out much more.  The question is - Do you really know what you are doing?

Do that thang, do it.

Monkey Butt, USA
    United States
    Member #54569
    August 23, 2007
    1124 Posts
    Posted: November 12, 2010, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

I'm just asking a question because I have read or heard this several times and would like to know how true is it. I think many people really don't know that it's one of the easiest game to win. The odds are more in your favor vs. the other games. It may pay out less but if you know what you are doing than it can work for you and pay out much more.  The question is - Do you really know what you are doing?

Do that thang, do it.

The only poor people playing pick 3 are the ones who just purchase a ticket and not fully understand the game.

To be honest I would say pick 3 and pick 4 are the most expensive games you can play on a daily basis.

We spend more money everyday or week playing pick 3/4 per drawing than we do playing any of the other lottery games. 

Yes the odds are low but when you really look at it most of the time you end up on the losing end.

To me the real winners are the winners that hit in exact order. Anything less than that is chicken feed.

But that's just my opinion.

Sunny California
      United States
      Member #40295
      May 31, 2006
      7712 Posts
      Posted: November 12, 2010, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

Well nowadays in this economy who isn't poor,lol.

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8360 Posts
        Posted: November 12, 2010, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

The only poor people playing pick 3 are the ones who just purchase a ticket and not fully understand the game.

To be honest I would say pick 3 and pick 4 are the most expensive games you can play on a daily basis.

We spend more money everyday or week playing pick 3/4 per drawing than we do playing any of the other lottery games. 

Yes the odds are low but when you really look at it most of the time you end up on the losing end.

To me the real winners are the winners that hit in exact order. Anything less than that is chicken feed.

But that's just my opinion.

I don't know who we are but state lotteries sell more scratch offs than any other game. Usually they give a rundown on what games took in how much money and every state lottery website i have looked at reported that the scratchers were the big money take in.

This is not to say that pick 3 wasn't a runner up sales are good for that game. Just no way near the take in on scratchers.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          GA
          United States
          Member #98098
          September 30, 2010
          254 Posts
          Posted: November 12, 2010, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

Well nowadays in this economy who isn't poor,lol.

Jester Laugh I know right? But I agree with Perdue.  I don't see how "poor people" per say could play everyday like most true cash 3 and 4 players do.   And I agree the chances seem to be way better then scratch offs I NEVER WIN ON THOSE! LOL So I don't buy into that whole "poor People" thing. I read and seen that to but just look @ some of the post some people win almost 900+ a day on cash 3.  If your not playing to hit it straight then it might be a loss but im happy with winning anything more then i spent LOL.

United States
            Member #75358
            June 1, 2009
            5345 Posts
            Posted: November 12, 2010, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Do that thang, do it.

I would hope that poor folks wouldn't play any lottery If the money being used takes away food from the table. If they're able to have a tight budget and set aside a small amount every week for entertainment purposes and not affect their needs, then I believe it's fine.

Playing 5 bucks or so a week on JP games, and hoping for a way out of the financial burden is another reason poor people play. But you have to define what poor is. There are a lot of rich miserable folks, but not because of the money, but because they are not happy with their lives, even If they were poor. They take granted for what they have, and don't remind themselves on a daily basis that they have it made. Instead, they are so engulfed in their soap opera lives, they aren't even aware it's happening.

Then you have folks who work paycheck to paycheck like me, but I'm not poor. Folks in my position just want a better life than the one they have now. And I think I finally found the answer I've been looking for since 1988.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10348 Posts
              Posted: November 13, 2010, 2:15 am - IP Logged

I heard this once on a talk radio program and it is real kick in the keister for almost all of us:

Poor people plan for the weekend, rich people plan for their great-grand children.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: November 13, 2010, 4:40 am - IP Logged

No, both poor and rich play it about the same.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                  Clarksville
                  United States
                  Member #487
                  July 15, 2002
                  17638 Posts
                  Posted: November 13, 2010, 5:13 am - IP Logged

I don't know of any "poor" people who play the P3 and P4.  Most really poor folks I know are trying to survive off of nothing.  Most of the folks I see playing P3 and 4 have new cars, homes, etc.  If you go to any lottery shop, you won't see folks in there trying to buy stuff with food stamps.  They have cold hard cash.  Most of the denominations are 20's 50's and 1's.  If they run out, they can use the cash withdrawal machine which is there.  For my personal opinion, if a person makes less than $20,000.00 a year, they can't afford to do anything but pay the rent.  Most poor folks will not take a chance with their cash because they have so little of it.  If they have vices, they will save their money for their vices like drinking, smoking or whatever.  The occasional 1 dollar scratch off or lottery jackpot ticket is about par for the course.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: November 13, 2010, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Well, I don't know if I would be considered poor or just a low-down, pickup drivin, trailer dwellin, stump-jumpin, sidewindin, ridge-runnin, shine drinkin, redneck, white trash, backwoods hillbilly, but either way I don't hardly never play the dadgum Pick3 no how.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7302 Posts
                      Posted: November 13, 2010, 10:11 am - IP Logged

Do that thang, do it.

"The odds are more in your favor vs. the other games."

Most 5/39 games give overall odds of 1 in 9 and I've seen scratch-offs as low as 1 in 3. What are the odds of winning something buying one pick-3 ticket?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10348 Posts
                        Posted: November 13, 2010, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Most 5/39 games give overall odds of 1 in 9 and I've seen scratch-offs as low as 1 in 3. What are the odds of winning something buying one pick-3 ticket?

Stack47,

Yeah, I know, 1 in 9 for 5/39. I play it everyday but certainly don't hit something every 9th play!

Bang Head

As for rich and poor, lotto crosses all categories, people from every financial strata play, but lottery vendoes in poorer neighborhoods statistically sell a lot more tickets.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                          Clarksville
                          United States
                          Member #487
                          July 15, 2002
                          17638 Posts
                          Posted: November 13, 2010, 11:00 am - IP Logged

I don't think the odds are in anyone's favor and if anyone thinks that they are sadly mistaken.  They don't make scratch offs or games to lose money.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23260 Posts
                            Posted: November 13, 2010, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Lottery Discussion forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                              Dump Water Florida
                              United States
                              Member #380
                              June 5, 2002
                              3102 Posts
                              Posted: November 14, 2010, 4:17 am - IP Logged

If you buy a Straight ticket your odds are 1 in 1,000.

If you buy a box ticket your odds are 1 in 220 though 10 of those are triples 2-2-2 that pay a straight prize whether the Straight or boxed box is checked.

IMO Poor people (homeless) buy scratch tickets because they want the immediate payoff. 

People who feel the Pick-3 prizes are worth winning, play the Pick-3.  This puts them in a class where a little more cash can make a difference in their lives.  They may or may not be poorish, not exactly the same as money being tight.   Maybe their mate has them on a budget, maybe there is unavailable money in the bank, yet a dollar a day must be squeezed from lunch money to buy a ticket to win secret pocket mad money.

Spend your money while it's still worth something.  BobP