Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you agree - Pick 3 is played by poor people mainly

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Cupcake10.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7309 Posts
Posted: November 14, 2010, 10:39 am - IP Logged

Stack47,

Yeah, I know, 1 in 9 for 5/39. I play it everyday but certainly don't hit something every 9th play!

Bang Head

As for rich and poor, lotto crosses all categories, people from every financial strata play, but lottery vendoes in poorer neighborhoods statistically sell a lot more tickets.

While waiting in line to buy tickets, I heard a guy telling the clerk he was cheated because the back of the ticket said "1 ticket in every 3.85 was a winner" and he bought 5 tickets and won nothing. It was one of those discussions I just don't get involved in because I knew it would become very heated and it did.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7309 Posts
    Posted: November 14, 2010, 10:49 am - IP Logged

If you buy a Straight ticket your odds are 1 in 1,000.

If you buy a box ticket your odds are 1 in 220 though 10 of those are triples 2-2-2 that pay a straight prize whether the Straight or boxed box is checked.

IMO Poor people (homeless) buy scratch tickets because they want the immediate payoff. 

People who feel the Pick-3 prizes are worth winning, play the Pick-3.  This puts them in a class where a little more cash can make a difference in their lives.  They may or may not be poorish, not exactly the same as money being tight.   Maybe their mate has them on a budget, maybe there is unavailable money in the bank, yet a dollar a day must be squeezed from lunch money to buy a ticket to win secret pocket mad money.

Spend your money while it's still worth something.  BobP

"IMO Poor people (homeless) buy scratch tickets because they want the immediate payoff."

I Agree! though I don't believe poor people make up a significant percentage of scratch-off sales. 

The pick-3 game has evolved from back in day when players could wager a "dime" on a number.

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
      Northern Virginia
      United States
      Member #83350
      December 5, 2009
      1315 Posts
      Posted: November 14, 2010, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Yes. I seldom play the lottery anymore, but Pick-3 and Pick-4 are now the only games I play for two primary reasons:

- The payouts are: you get 50%, the lottery gets 50%. I object to the prize payouts of bigger games, where for smaller prizes, you get less than 1%. I would consider playing Cash 5 / Powerball / Mega Millions if their payouts for smaller prizes were greater. 

- Pick-3 and Pick-4 are the only games in which I have a real interest, because the numbers that come up can represent birthdays (e.g. 226, 517, 0101, etc.). I haven't really figured out how you could get a birthday like January 1 to come up in a jackpot game without a bonus ball, although in a jackpot game with a separate bonus ball, you could use the bonus ball as the month, such that if the winning numbers are 1, 4, 8, 12, 25 Bonus 1, winning birthdays could be January 1, 4, 8, 12, and 25. My primary interest in Mega Millions and Powerball are seeing in what state the jackpot ticket was sold.

Even if I were a millionaire, I would still play only Pick-3 and Pick-4.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
        Member #91718
        May 23, 2010
        690 Posts
        Posted: November 14, 2010, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

Yes. I seldom play the lottery anymore, but Pick-3 and Pick-4 are now the only games I play for two primary reasons:

- The payouts are: you get 50%, the lottery gets 50%. I object to the prize payouts of bigger games, where for smaller prizes, you get less than 1%. I would consider playing Cash 5 / Powerball / Mega Millions if their payouts for smaller prizes were greater. 

- Pick-3 and Pick-4 are the only games in which I have a real interest, because the numbers that come up can represent birthdays (e.g. 226, 517, 0101, etc.). I haven't really figured out how you could get a birthday like January 1 to come up in a jackpot game without a bonus ball, although in a jackpot game with a separate bonus ball, you could use the bonus ball as the month, such that if the winning numbers are 1, 4, 8, 12, 25 Bonus 1, winning birthdays could be January 1, 4, 8, 12, and 25. My primary interest in Mega Millions and Powerball are seeing in what state the jackpot ticket was sold.

Even if I were a millionaire, I would still play only Pick-3 and Pick-4.

I agree with you Hermanus104. Pick-3 is my only interest for now because the odds are more in your favor. Although, any game is your choice. If you should win Mega or Power, the payout is much higher. Pick 3 is fun if you think you know what you are doing. If the numbers are truly random, you can possible win more.

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40422 Posts
          Posted: December 7, 2010, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

I have a set limit, once I reach that I am done, if I win I get to play longer depending how much I win.

I love the thrill of picking the next number whether I play that day or not.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
            Ohio
            United States
            Member #49980
            February 21, 2007
            34133 Posts
            Posted: December 7, 2010, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

No I am not poor but I can be if I keep playing the wrong ones. For that day!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
              Member #91718
              May 23, 2010
              690 Posts
              Posted: December 7, 2010, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

I only heard the statement that poor people play it. I have not verified any of it.