Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have you ever wondered why many lottery retailers are owned by members of certain racial minorities?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 6 years ago by CarHauler.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
SE PA
United States
Member #93582
July 3, 2010
1873 Posts
Posted: December 17, 2010, 12:51 am - IP Logged

This isn't the place for a big political discussion. Simple: I'm a liberal because I believe in a strong social safety net, more equal distribution of wealth (the fact is that the top 1% own the vast majority of the wealth and the inequality is only increasing, ) think corporations and banks need the hand of government to prevent them from going against the public good too much, the environment must be treasured,  think affordable health care is a right, I believe all peaceful options in foreign policy should be explored,  believe in not discriminating and letting people live their own lives (like with reproductive choice, sexual orientation,) etc.

I'll leave it at that.

United States
    Member #97729
    September 22, 2010
    321 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2010, 1:37 am - IP Logged

5) continued. Lets contrast two business models for example, we will compare FEDEX Kinkos or a UPS store against the US Postal Service. If you go into a privately owned UPS store, more times than not you will be greeted by cheerful staff that are happy to help you, and go about their business in a quick manner. Now contrast that with a government run program, USPS. If you have ever had the misfortune of going into a post office, you will no doubt remember standing in a long line, only to face a rude clerk, who does not care. I know someone who worked at the post office. He told me about an employee that had been accused of, and admitted to numerous accounts of sexual harassment. Did the USPS fire this guy? NO! They just transferred him to another department. I will give you a couple of personal examples of dealing with both.

First, I will hilight the excellent customer service I recieved from UPS. I had just graduated truck driving school, and a I was getting ready to go out on my very first trip driving a tractor-trailer all on my own. This was at my very first job after getting my license. I really needed the map that was being delivered that day, and I knew from checking the tracking number online that it was on the truck out for delivery. I was going to get it that day, but I did not know when. I had to leave soon to go out on the road, so I called UPS and asked if there was any way I could find out when it was going to be delivered, because I needed it before I went. They called the driver, and then called me back. She told me that the driver was going to be at a certain location for a few minutes, and that I could meet him there and get my package. I met him, and he was going through his truck. He found my package, scanned it and handed it over.

Second, I will tell you about service that I have recieved from government employees that have not a care in the world. I had a package that was being delivered via first class mail, it was not just an envelope. I called the post office, and asked when it was going to be delivered, and she just told me that there was no guarantee on mail delivery, and that it should be delivered within seven to fourteen days. I asked her if there was any way she could see if I could go pick it up from the post office before it got on the truck to be delivered. She told me that this was not possible, and kept on proudly repeating that they have upi to two weeks to deliver it. I could tell that she was proud to stand behind that guarantee. She would not take any steps to help me, and she had that policy to fall back on. Such behavior would not be tolerated in the private sector.

Do I even need to bring up full body scans and pat downs, and the groping of young children, nuns, and radio hosts? Should I mention the video where a father is taping TSA agents roughandling and molesting a little girl? Here it is :http://www.nydailynews.com/travel/2010/11/17/2010-11-17_stop_touching_me_tsas_security_patdown_of_3yearold_girl_caught_on_camera_.html

Most of the callers to the radio station said that they would not have been able to have recorded, and that they would have ended up in jail over what they had done. I would have been in jail too if I had a daughter, and they did that to her. Watch the video several times.

Do I need to mention the woman who was a flight attendant for over twenty years, but did not have her name badge positioned just right, so an agent ordered her to re-align it facing backwards. Another TSA screener then singled her out because it was not displayed the right way? She had breast cancer, and had a prosthetic breast, and had to take it out for TSA agents to inspect!

And what makes me the angriest: in the years since their creation, they have not stopped even one terrorist from boarding an airplane that was intent on harming Americans. Not even one. But to avoid being accused of profiling, they will let anyone with a turban on their head, no questions asked. But let an old woman, a priest or anyone else near them, and they go to town harassing them. Look at some of these videos and news reports:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q8H7UBG8p8&feature=player_embedded

http://hillbuzz.org/2010/11/24/sick-woman-singled-out-for-tsa-groping-because-agents-wanted-to-touch-her-breasts/

"It was pretty obvious. One of the guys that was staring me up and down was the one who pulled me over," said Sutherland. "Not a comfortable feeling."

One poster left an interesting comment, and a very good point. Here is just one of many:

The left has not been overly critical of the Obama administration's TSA enhancements and would probably eventually accept body cavity searches in airport security lines as an effort to help their president make us safer. Contrast that to their reaction to the Bush administration when liberals saw the Patriot Act and the electronic surveillance of international phone calls as a dire threat to civil liberties.
    Here is another:
    80% of the American non-flying public support breast and genital fondling to secure from Anglo bombers.

Make sure to read the comments. You have to enable them first.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/25902334/detail.html

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
      Miami, FLA
      United States
      Member #62793
      July 9, 2008
      680 Posts
      Posted: December 17, 2010, 3:05 am - IP Logged

I'm surprised Rdgnr hasn't jumped into this thread with some Tennessee wisdom on race and politics.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

lima ohio
        United States
        Member #53429
        July 7, 2007
        200 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2010, 3:15 am - IP Logged

one day this country will be  owned by people who wasnt born here......this land is your land from california to the new york islands.

United States
          Member #97729
          September 22, 2010
          321 Posts
          Posted: December 17, 2010, 3:38 am - IP Logged

This isn't the place for a big political discussion. Simple: I'm a liberal because I believe in a strong social safety net, more equal distribution of wealth (the fact is that the top 1% own the vast majority of the wealth and the inequality is only increasing, ) think corporations and banks need the hand of government to prevent them from going against the public good too much, the environment must be treasured,  think affordable health care is a right, I believe all peaceful options in foreign policy should be explored,  believe in not discriminating and letting people live their own lives (like with reproductive choice, sexual orientation,) etc.

I'll leave it at that.

That is fine, and I can certainly understand you not wanting to get into a debate about these issues, but I will respond to what you wrote.

You believe in a strong social safety net. Who is supposed to pay for that? I think that has already existed in nature for all of history, through all civilizations. It is called family support, and after that if you somehow have no family, there are churches, charities and so forth. There is food stamps, unemployment, welfare, free or low cost clinics, the list goes on and on. All types of entitlement programs. There is Medicaid and Medicare.

You believe in more equal distribution of wealth. Who do you suppose should decide what each person is allowed to keep. What is a fair amount? After all, $50,000 a year might be average to some people, dirt poor to others, and extremely rich to yet another. It seems to me like you are saying that whoever busted their ass their whole lives does not deserve to keep what they have earned. I guess the fact that that the top 5% of wage earners already paying over half of the income tax is not enough? The top 1% of wage earners pays over 33% of all taxes, and THAT is not enough????

You do not believe that everyone with the drive and the intelligence can't make anything out of themselves that they want? You don't think hard work and initiative pay off? Why belittle someone who has more than you, why not try and reach the same level of success as them? It sounds to me like you believe that the government, with the force of a gun, should be able to take anything they want, from anyone they want, and give it to whoever they want, even if that person never even attempts to get a job. Is that right?

You think corporations and banks need the hand of government to prevent them from going against the public good too much? I did not know that any corporations could force anyone to buy any of their products. No one forced anyone to purchase the homes that they were not qualified to purchase. As a matter of a fact, it was Clinton that made the banks to make loans to to people that were unqualified, loans that they never could pay back. See, there are also other unforeseen consequences to all of these things. Now that the banks are being regulated even more, all of the fees on everything else the banks do has gone up. I do not think there should have been any bailouts. See I think that the banks that made these poor decisions should be allowed to fail. By supporting them, you are only sending the message "don't worry how bad you screw up, we will back you up, no matter what." Who has to pay for this? I do. You do. Everyone does, and so will their children and grandchildren. I wish I could start a business, and the government would guarantee me that if I lost millions they would pay me back.

We should all be good stewards of the environment, but we do not need to go crazy. We broke many record low temperatures this week. That surely must be global warming. There are so many examples of insanity. Let's suppose that a coal-burning power plant is removing 95% of all pollution. Now the government wants these power companies to cut back pollution by less than even a whole percentage point, but they must spend additional billions of dollars to accomplish this. Why? Well to drive up the price of course. That is what cap and trade is all about. These government intrusions are going to cost the average family of four several thousand dollars extra a year in energy costs alone. Think about that for a moment.

Health care does have some problems, but no, health care is not a right. Someone has to pay for it. Nothing is free. What the government is saying is this: We can take from those who have been successful, and make them pay for someone else's health care. They can take your money by the force of a gun. What that means is that in reality, they can put you in prison, or if you resist, even kill you, to force you to pay for someone else's health care. Perhaps you want health care like in England, where over 2/3 of those who have curable prostate cancer die in the period of over 6 months before they are treated. This will lead to rationing like it does everywhere else that it has been tried. This will lead to older people being told that they just have to die, because we can no longer afford to treat you. Instead of treatment, you get "end of life" counseling.

I guess that If you won the largest Powerball jackpot in history, you should be willing to share it with all of the members of LP. After all, it is not fair that you won all of this money, and we don't have as much as you. My biggest win has only been $150, while yours has been $200. That is not really fair. Won't you help distribute the wealth by sending me $25? After all I could really use the money. I need it. I have three children. Remember, that if this were the government doing this, they would have the power of a gun.

I think peaceful options should be tried, but what do you do when diplomacy fails?  A nuclear Iran, who has threatened to wipe Israel off the map and to destroy the United States must be stopped, no matter what the cost. I believe in peace through strength. No one will attack us if they know that the moment that they do, we will wipe them off the face of the earth. We need to keep investing in missile defense systems to keep us safe from madmen who are also dictators. We need to keep the space program alive. Obama says that if we need to go into outer space, we should just hitch a ride with the Russians!

I do not believe in discriminating against anyone, period. I fully believe in equal protection, equal rights and the pursuit of happiness by everyone. Equal rights for everyone, and special rights for none is my philosophy on that matter. I do believe in profiling when necessary.

It was Muslim extremists who tried unsuccessfully to blow up the World Trade Center, back in 1993, and then flew airplanes into them in 2001, along with the Pentagon, and tried to fly one into the White House(I sure hope they don't try that one again). It was Muslims who beheaded Nick Berg, and streamed it live over the internet. It was Muslims who hijacked the athletes at the Olympics. It was Muslims who blew up the USS Cole. It was Muslims who blew up both US embassies within minutes of each other. It was Muslims who blew up Pan Am Flight 103. It is almost entirely muslims who are pirates, taking ships crewmwmbers as hostages. Need I go on? So why are we molesting and harassing Americans at the airports? After all, Americans black, white, Chinese, Korean, nor any other race  have never flown any airplanes into any buildings or bombed any others flights, or tried to shoe bomb or underwear bomb any flights. It has been Muslims 100% of the time, but do we racially profile? No way, that's not fair! That's racist!

Homosexuals have all of the same rights as everyone else. There is not any gay man or lesbian woman that does not have the same rights as a heterosexual.

Reproduction is a choice: Wear a rubber, don't have sex, or find some way to prevent conception. But after conception has occurred, there is not a choice to be made, there is a live human being growing inside his or her mother's womb. It is not a choice, it is a living human being. Why is it acceptable to partially deliver a baby and then kill him or her, but after you cut the umbilical cord it is capital murder? How can you explain that one?

United States
            Member #97729
            September 22, 2010
            321 Posts
            Posted: December 17, 2010, 3:47 am - IP Logged

one day this country will be  owned by people who wasnt born here......this land is your land from california to the new york islands.

Only if we let them.

SE PA
              United States
              Member #93582
              July 3, 2010
              1873 Posts
              Posted: December 17, 2010, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

All your details can have lots of rebuttal. I just don't want to do it here.

A few things, though:

Less defense spending and higher taxes for those who can afford it (the top 1% has more wealth than the bottom 90% together) will help pay for a stronger social safety net. Taxes are a part of life, so the government isn't forcing anyone to do anything. If I was rich, I would certainly have no problem paying more. No one has ever won in the Middle East, so we would leave there - just beef up security at home. Corporations and banks can go to far, where they actually get predatory - who would want that? The banks caused this crisis. A woman and ONLY the woman should decide to have a baby or not. It's not my business. You're ignoring the fact that many more people have access to health care in England, and that end of life stuff is such propaganda. Single payer health care is cheaper because you take all of the administrative costs out. Health care is a right, period. Gay people DO NOT have the same rights - think of Don't Ask Don't Tell and the fact gays can't marry. I'm not gay, but I believe they should have those rights like any other person.

But we are so diametrically opposed so this won't go anywhere. Back to Lottery talk.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                The Ville, FL
                United States
                Member #95879
                August 19, 2010
                1708 Posts
                Posted: December 17, 2010, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

I have my popcorn out for this one. Im just going to be a spectator..

carhauler - I see you are making new friends in this thread as well as the other one.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19901 Posts
                  Posted: December 17, 2010, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

That's what the Europeans had in mind when they first came here and saw a bunch of Indians running the country.  They quickly started making out deeds and deeding it to themselves and the rest is history.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #97729
                    September 22, 2010
                    321 Posts
                    Posted: December 17, 2010, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Hello, B$Rizzle. Feel free to share your opinion as well. This is a discussion forum, where thoughtful and intelligent ideas can be exchanged. We are not all going to agree on everything. That is what makes America beautiful, unlike some countries where there are only two classes of persons: the extremely wealthy elite ruling  class, and the very poor underclass. Here in America anyone with the drive and intelligence can achieve anything they want. Being born in a certain family does not  dictate whether or not someone is just a peasant, or a king.

Just take our President for example. He has proven that a black man who was a Junior Senator, with virtually no private sector employment history, who has never run a business, a city, let alone a state, can become President of the most powerful nation on earth. We have not only poor and rich, we have everywhere in between. Whatever someone is comfortable is comfortable with is what they will end up with. If someone wants to work at a job that pays minimum wage all of their lives, then that is what they will do. On the other hand, it is the entrepreneurial spirit that allows people to rise to whatever level of excellence they choose. You chose your own destiny.

Matt and I have been buddies on this board for a while, and I am sure that our respectful disagreement is not going to change that fact. Don't you know that lawyers and prosecutors fight tooth and nail against each other in the courtroom, Republicans and Democrats fight all day long in the Senate, but at the end of the day, many of them are good friends. They go out to dinner or have a beer after work.

United States
                      Member #97729
                      September 22, 2010
                      321 Posts
                      Posted: January 8, 2011, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

MY QUESTION IS >>>>>>>>>>> WHY IS EVERTHING HANDED TO THE HUMAN PEOPLE OTHER THAN AMERICANS? <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

It started back in the 1960s by our dearly deceased Teddy Kennedy and all of his Democratic pals. That is when things started really going downhill fast. You see up until that point, almost all legal immigration to the US was from Europe. Now almost all immigration to the US is from third world countries.

These worthless Democrats decided that America needed to be a part of one of the most disastrous social experiments on earth: to become a melting pot, but that the pot needed new ingredients, new types of people.  See, all of this rotten third world garbage somehow makes America better, they say. We should learn their languages, learn their culture, and be sensitive to these new peoples needs. There is no reason why they should have to learn English, or learn our culture, our way of life.

We have outlawed CHRISTIAN prayer in our schools, but you had better not dare tell that Muslim that he can't take out his prayer mat and face Mecca and pray three times a day. You had better not interrupt HIS religion. The liberals all love these people, but where are all of the feminists to protest the way that they treat women? Why aren't they crying out about the injustice in the fact that a Muslim women who loses her virginity before marriage must be killed? What about those that kill their daughters over here and claim that it is religious freedom? Where is their outrage?

The three most important things that define a country are language, culture and borders. We used to have all three, now we are barely clinging to the remnants. Up until the last 20 years, homosexuality was not tolerated anywhere on earth, and is still punishable by death in some countries. There is no support for it in Christianity, Judaism, or any other religion for that matter. It has no roots in nature either. It is biologically incompatible with reproduction.

I remember going to middle school in the 80s, and they were attempting to brainwash us then. I mean, I was in the most conservative district in the nation. Newt Gingrich was from our district, and they were trying to make us believe that homosexuality was just a different way of life, and that it was an alternative lifestyle. They told us that it was not really any different than a man and a woman.

Almost everything this country has become disgusts me, and I am quite literally wondering why God has not destroyed the earth by this point. It is like the media and the democrats stand for everything that is immoral, unclean, illegal and just plain wrong. If there is anything wholesome, Christian, or traditional then they are against it. What is worse is that the Democrats did not seem to get it, even after the election. Nancy Pelosi is blaming the loss on George Bush!

I can't wait for the revolution to begin. It will happen no later than when the dollar collapses. I am just itching for it. I do not think the government has any idea of how fast we will eradicate it if need be, and start all over again. We faced seemingly impossible odds roughly 230 years ago, and look at us now. We overcame our fear and did what was necessary for us to be remain free. Now we might just have to do it all over again, so that we may regain our quickly eroding freedom.