Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winner Case Study

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 6 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
Miami
United States
Member #62793
July 9, 2008
673 Posts
Posted: December 21, 2010, 3:34 am - IP Logged

A buddy of mine is married with two small children. His wife's parents live five minutes away. My buddy and his wife struggle financially, while his in-laws are a bit better off. From what I've seen whenever I've visited, they seemed to be close. Grandma and grandpa help with the kids whenever they can, and they all spend at least part of every weekend together.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I like to look at the winners report for the Fantasy Five to see if any winners have been sold in my neighborhood. As I'm scanning the list of winners I see a name I recognize: my friend's mother-in-law. She'd won well over $200,000 a week earlier.

When I called him to ask if he knew he said he didn't, but that he'd ask his wife. Her answer was that the name was spelled differently, which I found absurd. The uniqueness of her name, her hometown in another state, and where she bought the ticket; the odds it's not her are higher than they are for the actual game!! Not to mention the mother-in-law bought a condo CASH fours days later.

That leaves one of three possibilities.

1. The in-laws won and decided not to tell their daughter and son-in-law.

2. They told only their daughter and she then decided not to tell her husband.

3. They told both of them, but they're sworn to secrecy so they denied it when I asked.

My hope is that it's the latter. I hope it's not number 1, and for the sake of his marriage I certainly hope it's not number 2.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19830 Posts
    Posted: December 21, 2010, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

Why do you think your buddy's in-laws having a couple hundred thousand bucks would have any effect on his marriage?  What his in-laws have is none of his business.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49784 Posts
      Posted: December 21, 2010, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

A buddy of mine is married with two small children. His wife's parents live five minutes away. My buddy and his wife struggle financially, while his in-laws are a bit better off. From what I've seen whenever I've visited, they seemed to be close. Grandma and grandpa help with the kids whenever they can, and they all spend at least part of every weekend together.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I like to look at the winners report for the Fantasy Five to see if any winners have been sold in my neighborhood. As I'm scanning the list of winners I see a name I recognize: my friend's mother-in-law. She'd won well over $200,000 a week earlier.

When I called him to ask if he knew he said he didn't, but that he'd ask his wife. Her answer was that the name was spelled differently, which I found absurd. The uniqueness of her name, her hometown in another state, and where she bought the ticket; the odds it's not her are higher than they are for the actual game!! Not to mention the mother-in-law bought a condo CASH fours days later.

That leaves one of three possibilities.

1. The in-laws won and decided not to tell their daughter and son-in-law.

2. They told only their daughter and she then decided not to tell her husband.

3. They told both of them, but they're sworn to secrecy so they denied it when I asked.

My hope is that it's the latter. I hope it's not number 1, and for the sake of his marriage I certainly hope it's not number 2.

Wow! How can anyone remain semi-anonymous with a friend yelling from the roof tops the identity of who Won.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
        Texas
        United States
        Member #92330
        June 5, 2010
        887 Posts
        Posted: December 21, 2010, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

When I win I plan on telling two people, my mom and my dad, and I don't want them to tell anybody else. Maybe after a year or two they can, but right away I don't want anyone knowing other than them, and I probably wouldn't even let it go how much I actually won. I won't even tell my close friends that I've won, and I have a few of them that I'm closer to than my actual family (even closer to than my parents). It's my business and I'm the only person who needs to know (I know in the past I've said I'd tell people here, but that's different than telling people you actually know in person).

I don't see what's wrong if those people did win and didn't tell anybody, regardless of how close they are. It's their win, their money, their business.

Miami
          United States
          Member #62793
          July 9, 2008
          673 Posts
          Posted: December 22, 2010, 3:30 am - IP Logged

Why do you think your buddy's in-laws having a couple hundred thousand bucks would have any effect on his marriage?  What his in-laws have is none of his business.

Two things:

If they told and/or made an arrangement with his wife and she keeps that from him then they don't need to be married.

I would expect the grandparents of my kids to at least put something into a college fund for them. A gesture.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Miami
            United States
            Member #62793
            July 9, 2008
            673 Posts
            Posted: December 22, 2010, 3:32 am - IP Logged

Wow! How can anyone remain semi-anonymous with a friend yelling from the roof tops the identity of who Won.

You're so predictable. I always know what you're gonna say.

I told him, no one else. Not exactly yelling from the rooftops.

Miami
              United States
              Member #62793
              July 9, 2008
              673 Posts
              Posted: December 22, 2010, 3:35 am - IP Logged

When I win I plan on telling two people, my mom and my dad, and I don't want them to tell anybody else. Maybe after a year or two they can, but right away I don't want anyone knowing other than them, and I probably wouldn't even let it go how much I actually won. I won't even tell my close friends that I've won, and I have a few of them that I'm closer to than my actual family (even closer to than my parents). It's my business and I'm the only person who needs to know (I know in the past I've said I'd tell people here, but that's different than telling people you actually know in person).

I don't see what's wrong if those people did win and didn't tell anybody, regardless of how close they are. It's their win, their money, their business.

The responses to this story reveal some very sad and shallow relationships, if you can even call them that.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19830 Posts
                Posted: December 22, 2010, 8:56 am - IP Logged

The responses to this story reveal some very sad and shallow relationships, if you can even call them that.

If my in-laws expected me to pay for their kids college education, I would just as soon have a shallow or no  relationship with them.

Evil Looking       

Miami
                  United States
                  Member #62793
                  July 9, 2008
                  673 Posts
                  Posted: December 22, 2010, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

If my in-laws expected me to pay for their kids college education, I would just as soon have a shallow or no  relationship with them.

Glad we're not related.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49784 Posts
                    Posted: December 22, 2010, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

You're so predictable. I always know what you're gonna say.

I told him, no one else. Not exactly yelling from the rooftops.

Posted on LP Forums: It's been heard around the World. Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19830 Posts
                      Posted: December 22, 2010, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Glad we're not related.

Ditto!

Evil Looking       

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #92330
                        June 5, 2010
                        887 Posts
                        Posted: December 22, 2010, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

See it as you will, just I've seen, read and heard how money can change people and would rather that not affect my friendships. My friends don't need to know that I've won the lottery, if asked about the money I can simply say I got it as an inheritance or some bonds matured that my grandparents had gotten for me when I was born. That's actually what a few websites and people will tell you to do if people ask about your new money (I've even heard past lottery jackpot winners use those same excuses for explaining their riches to their new rich neighbors).

As for not telling more family than my mother and father? Most of my family is very untrusting and have done many things in the past that show they care only about money. I'd help my parents for all they have done for me but beyond that I wouldn't feel the need to help out other members of my family unless they desperately needed it (and even then I wouldn't let it go that I won the lottery, I'd have some other reason for having the money).

If you think everyone in your life would still feel the same about you after you've won millions in the lottery, then you're in for a rude awakening if you ever win. I don't care how close you are with someone, money trumps that in most cases.

India
                          Member #102597
                          December 22, 2010
                          1 Posts
                          Posted: December 22, 2010, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

When I win I plan on telling two people, my mom and my dad, and I don't want them to tell anybody else. Maybe after a year or two they can, but right away I don't want anyone knowing other than them, and I probably wouldn't even let it go how much I actually won.

Miami
                            United States
                            Member #62793
                            July 9, 2008
                            673 Posts
                            Posted: December 23, 2010, 2:00 am - IP Logged

Posted on LP Forums: It's been heard around the World. Thud

I wrote "A buddy of mine..."

No one's identity was revealed.

Always a pleasure, Raven.

Miami
                              United States
                              Member #62793
                              July 9, 2008
                              673 Posts
                              Posted: December 23, 2010, 2:06 am - IP Logged

See it as you will, just I've seen, read and heard how money can change people and would rather that not affect my friendships. My friends don't need to know that I've won the lottery, if asked about the money I can simply say I got it as an inheritance or some bonds matured that my grandparents had gotten for me when I was born. That's actually what a few websites and people will tell you to do if people ask about your new money (I've even heard past lottery jackpot winners use those same excuses for explaining their riches to their new rich neighbors).

As for not telling more family than my mother and father? Most of my family is very untrusting and have done many things in the past that show they care only about money. I'd help my parents for all they have done for me but beyond that I wouldn't feel the need to help out other members of my family unless they desperately needed it (and even then I wouldn't let it go that I won the lottery, I'd have some other reason for having the money).

If you think everyone in your life would still feel the same about you after you've won millions in the lottery, then you're in for a rude awakening if you ever win. I don't care how close you are with someone, money trumps that in most cases.

If you go back you'll see that's who I'm talking about: parents/children. Anybody who wins and can't share that with a parent or an adult child and their spouse has more serious problems.