Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How long would you wait before claiming your prize?

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 6 years ago by bomatt.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
New Jersey
United States
Member #99032
October 18, 2010
1439 Posts
Posted: January 16, 2011, 12:17 am - IP Logged

Not sure.  Given my current situation, I'd probably wait a while, and have my parents loan me some money and tell them I'd pay them back with SUPER-interest.  (Well if I won millions, they'd get a nice early retirement regardless)  That's if it was like a huge jackpot.  I wouldn't want to go crazy thinking about and spending money, along with all the taxes I'd have to do while I'm in school.

Reminds me of this time I was telling my Dad a story.  "So I wrote down my numbers, but the line got really long and I didn't buy the ticket"  To which he replied "Good."  I said "No, because if I waited online you'd be 75000 dollars richer!"  (I wrote down the exact first 5 Mega Millions numbers that came out that night!!!!  I already decided if I ever won I'd give him a huge chunk)

Alas, I missed my chance.

It'd also be fun to know that I'm financially secure - and see everyone freaking out b/c someone won and didn't claim.  So yeah, if I won a jackpot I'd wait until I'm on break from school to cash it.  If it was a multi-million jackpot I'd borrow some money from the parents for the time being.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1954 Posts
    Posted: January 16, 2011, 1:07 am - IP Logged

The very next day. You can bet your butt I'll be waiting outside Hoosier Lottery headquarters waiting for someone to unlock the doors.

Gonna win.Big Smile

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6290 Posts
      Posted: January 16, 2011, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Well it depends if win in Texas or Oklahoma...............if it's Texas the next day....... seeing that you can't go anonymous in Oklahoma(you can if you have a trust) a few weeks top...........

Litebets27's avatar - power
        Maryland
        United States
        Member #10465
        January 14, 2005
        6065 Posts
        Posted: January 16, 2011, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

ASAP

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40561 Posts
          Posted: January 16, 2011, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

ASAP

LOL YEP, Cheers

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

JAP69's avatar - alas
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #6
            November 4, 2001
            8790 Posts
            Posted: January 17, 2011, 11:01 am - IP Logged

At my age I would need enough time to do the paper work for the prize to be shared by more than one person.

I could claim it alone then my heirs would have the added burden of inheritance taxes. Combine my tax as an indivdual plus inheritnce tax would be something like 70% of the prize amount. Plus all the legal fees for my estate settlement.

Give it away now rather than later. What in hell would I need all that money for at my age.

MAGA

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
              Texas
              United States
              Member #92330
              June 5, 2010
              887 Posts
              Posted: January 18, 2011, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Well it depends if win in Texas or Oklahoma...............if it's Texas the next day....... seeing that you can't go anonymous in Oklahoma(you can if you have a trust) a few weeks top...........

You can't really go anonymous in Texas either. You can get minimal publicity but that still releases your name to the public so anyone you've met will know it's you who won (unless you have a very common name).

It is nice because they won't have a photo to send around but I'd still have to consider setting up a trust if I won. As I've said before, it would depend on if it was a multi-state lottery or just Lotto Texas.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                United States
                Member #33372
                February 20, 2006
                1044 Posts
                Posted: January 19, 2011, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

How long is a nano second?

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: January 19, 2011, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

You can't really go anonymous in Texas either. You can get minimal publicity but that still releases your name to the public so anyone you've met will know it's you who won (unless you have a very common name).

It is nice because they won't have a photo to send around but I'd still have to consider setting up a trust if I won. As I've said before, it would depend on if it was a multi-state lottery or just Lotto Texas.

ttech10 you are correct about going anonymous in Texas......... I just went to the Texas Lotto website and saw all the names of the past winners of the Lotto Texas their were several with Trust & LLC & Partnerships but majority were the winners first & last name.....

Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #79361
                    August 30, 2009
                    93 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2011, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

I would wait until my bankruptcy became final then I would not be under the control of the court.  Then depending on how much the winnings are, I would pay back the debts on my own terms.