Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Computer verse Paper

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 6 years ago by pamelab.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
lakerben's avatar - spherewall
New Mexico
United States
Member #86099
January 29, 2010
11114 Posts
Posted: January 19, 2011, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

Excel for me.  Many new systems are coming out and its nice to have a program to eliminate the confusion.  I like to type in a number and get the results!

Party

NASHVILLE, TENN
    United States
    Member #33372
    February 20, 2006
    1044 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2011, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

I began using paper and pencil.  As time proceeded, my thoughts grew extremely complicated and the workouts time consuming.  Looking for a faster, more accurate metod,  I forced myself to learn VBA.   Now I use Excel exclusively.

I long for the good ole days of paper and pencil.  Life, especially Lotto Life, was much simplier "back in the day".

north carolina/virginia
      United States
      Member #2097
      August 17, 2003
      126 Posts
      Posted: January 20, 2011, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

You know when you have studied Excel, its hard not to put that training into use with the lottery, especially the Pick 3.  Even though you see more results with pencil and paper.  I guess I keep thinking I can make it more precise. WRONG! Everyone tells me I should have been a statistician when they see my spreadsheets for the lottery.  But the truth being told I've won more money before I ever thought about Excel.  I do have a strong desire to learn VBA,  but first I've got to fight through learning the pivot tables.  I don't understand why because like I said I've won more   never knowing Excel.

Jordans121's avatar - nw bookeep.jpg

United States
        Member #69169
        January 5, 2009
        2122 Posts
        Posted: January 20, 2011, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Excel is 1000 times better than a piece of paper because you can create your own wheels which is the basis of the game for any ball game. Plus I get to use LotsoftPro in collaboration.

"Many Strategies|One Game"

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
          Dallas, Texas
          United States
          Member #4549
          May 2, 2004
          1655 Posts
          Posted: January 20, 2011, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

I use both. Computers will crunch large amounts of data quicker. But if it makes a mistate, it will continue to make it over and over unless it is caught and corrected.

Being involved in the paper process uses your brain, so you have a better understanding and are more likely to catch your mistake sooner.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2011, 12:12 am - IP Logged

After using Excel in every way I can find possible, and other software, seems like old fashion pencil and paper is better.  I done some backtesting looking at lottery books and writing the number down daily seems like I just get a better "feel" of the numbers.  Do anyone else feel this way?

Paper or PC, the wins spend the same. Wink

I start on paper when I have the beginnings of an idea. If it looks workable then I code it for backtesting to see how it performs long term. Many trends that look like a "WOW!!! Eek I iz gonna be so rich!" system at a short term human-eye subjective glance fail under a long term mechanical-rules backtest.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
              Member #69169
              January 5, 2009
              2122 Posts
              Posted: January 21, 2011, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Paper or PC, the wins spend the same. Wink

I start on paper when I have the beginnings of an idea. If it looks workable then I code it for backtesting to see how it performs long term. Many trends that look like a "WOW!!! Eek I iz gonna be so rich!" system at a short term human-eye subjective glance fail under a long term mechanical-rules backtest.

Well Said. I track numbers by the current trend.

United States
                Member #69169
                January 5, 2009
                2122 Posts
                Posted: January 21, 2011, 1:21 am - IP Logged

Well Said. I track numbers by the current trend.

I never use back testing b/c the game is consistently changing. Therefore, there is no systematically fixed way to approach the pick 3/4, or for that matter, the pick 5 which I am currently interested in converting from my 3/4 spreadsheet (need excel 2010-more cells).

Most numbers that come out are a product of a recent trend. The key is being patient and knowing when to attack. Even when I had a method that hit 40 times str8 out of 60 draws (month) playing online, I still would have been at a loss of profit if I did not know when to attack. Granted, the wager is much more that the profit but it could be used effectively in both Pick 3/4. Nevertheless, I put that approach in my back pocket.

One of the reasons why I chose to abandon Paper and pencil methods is b/c psychologicly I knew of no system that could fulfill my gambling/winning dream. lol. So with persistance and my laptop I started researching and digging in as far as my brittle brain would take me and it took me to Excel. I think its a shame it took the pick 3 for me to have interest in learning a magnificent, time-saving peice of software.  As of now, I am still searching for other tracking Ideas that I can master in hopes of manipulating it into a procedural approach.

Some of the macros and formulas in my sheet are quite amazing and forever will prohibit me from ever buying a wheel or service for a wheel. Wheeling is a basic and fundamental approach when designing numbers to play whether they are boxed or str8. I think its imperative to have both wheels present when designing winning numbers.

Obviously, with so many systems and methods available online, many have tried and failed, including myslef. The agony of having the losing number while wondering "why" lead to my lottery goal that states "Never again shall a number drop without me knowing all things that are associated with that number VISUALLY". 

After all, the most daunting task when using or trying multiple systems together is that they rarely coincide with one another consistently that  could  potentially result in HUGE wins which we all seek and rarely find.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40248 Posts
                  Posted: January 23, 2011, 8:14 am - IP Logged

I like paper, alot of my workouts involve going back a week or 10 days and it easier to find what I'm looking for and I can spread it out for comparision.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

tennesseeme2's avatar - batman31
                    Lebanon,tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #54353
                    August 15, 2007
                    503 Posts
                    Posted: January 23, 2011, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

i can study the numbers better with pen and paper .just seem to get a better feel for .have hit numerous times just relaxing and studying and looking at last weeks drawing,and mirror numbers also.remember if ur looking at 0 ur looking at 5 also and so forth.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                      Chicago
                      United States
                      Member #70678
                      February 8, 2009
                      889 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2011, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

I have Excel but still haven't taken the time to learn how to use it. I don't own any lottery software but am under the impression that you just input some numbers and the system picks some numbers for you?

I do paper and pencil and I agree that it gives a better feel for what numbers to play. I stopped wheeling numbers long ago so I don't need software for that.

Just get me thru this so called life......

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40248 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2011, 6:45 am - IP Logged

whats fun about paper , when you get mad you can crumple it or just burn it.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

retxx's avatar - mrthumbs
                          BOSTON
                          United States
                          Member #48
                          September 9, 2001
                          3582 Posts
                          Posted: January 27, 2011, 10:38 am - IP Logged

hi jordans121. Would you care to post your excel spreadsheet to share with those who like to test it in our states. Might be interesting to see the results. thanks

north carolina/virginia
                            United States
                            Member #2097
                            August 17, 2003
                            126 Posts
                            Posted: January 27, 2011, 10:51 am - IP Logged

My spreadsheet consist of stats, then a breakdown of stats of digits by position.  So its not a spreadsheet to give me the number as a whole to play.  Its only looking at overdue/hot digits.  Maybe one day I will try the formulas that will give me the exact number to play.  The great thing about looking at workouts on paper is you get to see repeated numbers that usually hit.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                              Chicago
                              United States
                              Member #70678
                              February 8, 2009
                              889 Posts
                              Posted: January 27, 2011, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

whats fun about paper , when you get mad you can crumple it or just burn it.

OMG HAHAHA!!!!!

You should see my papers.....numbers written in all directions....numbers circled. HA only I can decifer what it all means.

Just get me thru this so called life......