Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpot winner dangers!

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 6 years ago by zerxfi.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Artemis's avatar - Alice
New England
United States
Member #100508
November 13, 2010
96 Posts
Posted: January 21, 2011, 1:25 am - IP Logged

I was just thinking, what if someone went to scan their tickets on one of those self service stations, and found out they hit a big one.

A lot could happen, such as..

- Having a heart attack OTS

- Fainting

- Getting jumped for your ticket

- Being in such shock that you throw the ticket away, and bring home one of your losing tickets instead

Has anyone else ever worried about this? Blue Thinking

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
    Texas
    United States
    Member #92330
    June 5, 2010
    887 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2011, 2:42 am - IP Logged

If I was older the heart attack would worry me, but I'm relatively young so not much an issue. About the last two, I don't go to the store to check so non-issues, though if I did do that my main worry would be getting followed back home.

The only thing I've ever really thought about is the idea of getting into an accident on my way to Austin to claim my prize. It's a pretty long drive (~7 hours) so I'd have to wake up early to drive there, so not only would I be anxious to get there but I'd also be tired. I've made the same drive (or similar drives to Dallas/Ft. Worth/Houston) without problems, but knowing that I'd be driving with (essentially) millions in the car would add some paranoia.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6290 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2011, 2:48 am - IP Logged

like tttech10 said....I don't check my tickets at the counter either...... but if I did I would probably faint.....

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40293 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2011, 7:56 am - IP Logged

I check my tickets at home , I won't even cash a ticket over $100.00 with a big crowd hanging around.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3300 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2011, 10:40 am - IP Logged

i did have a flush of blood to head when i got a 5/6 hit, waiting for the last ball i felt light headed, and although i was standing infront of the TV by the time the ball dropped i dont recall getting out of my chair and walking over there. lets say i was light headed. sure a faint may have been possible!

evne though some poeple claim dont put ya name on the back, if you are susceptible to fainting fits etc, id suggest you write ya name on the back  as soon as ya buy the ticket.

my win of $1300 on keno didnt have any affect except happiness, and a bit of a downer as i realised it was 2am, and i had to ttake it to lotto office next day to collect the cash. its rare for me to check numbers infront of tv now that the internet is here,  doubt the excitement of old will be there like watcvhing the balls fall into slots and wait for that last 1 to hit.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Monkey Butt, USA
            United States
            Member #54569
            August 23, 2007
            1124 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2011, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

i did have a flush of blood to head when i got a 5/6 hit, waiting for the last ball i felt light headed, and although i was standing infront of the TV by the time the ball dropped i dont recall getting out of my chair and walking over there. lets say i was light headed. sure a faint may have been possible!

evne though some poeple claim dont put ya name on the back, if you are susceptible to fainting fits etc, id suggest you write ya name on the back  as soon as ya buy the ticket.

my win of $1300 on keno didnt have any affect except happiness, and a bit of a downer as i realised it was 2am, and i had to ttake it to lotto office next day to collect the cash. its rare for me to check numbers infront of tv now that the internet is here,  doubt the excitement of old will be there like watcvhing the balls fall into slots and wait for that last 1 to hit.

you write ya name on the back  as soon as ya buy the ticket.

IN INK ONLY!!-

IN INK ONLY!!-

IN INK ONLY!!

I know it may sound insulting, but you know people do stupid-stupid things.

Remember the guy from TX that ran his winning ticket through the printer? <dumb azz!!>

And make sure you write your CELL NUMBER ON THE TICKET AS WELL!!

You can always get a new cell number and give it to the people you want to have it.

I write my name on the back in Block Print and My Cell number all in ink.

Don't want anyone trying to forge my signed name.

NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #104853
              January 21, 2011
              159 Posts
              Posted: January 21, 2011, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

I dont know why people are always focusing on the negatives of winning.

My biggest worry would be having to come out in public to get my winnings or having my dad find out I've been spending money on tickets.

Monkey Butt, USA
                United States
                Member #54569
                August 23, 2007
                1124 Posts
                Posted: January 21, 2011, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

I was just thinking, what if someone went to scan their tickets on one of those self service stations, and found out they hit a big one.

A lot could happen, such as..

- Having a heart attack OTS

- Fainting

- Getting jumped for your ticket

- Being in such shock that you throw the ticket away, and bring home one of your losing tickets instead

Has anyone else ever worried about this? Blue Thinking

Let' hope they use the internet...newspaper.....pick up the results slip.....call the 800 number...or have the numbers sent to their cell phone.

If they don't, then let's pray that they have their name written on the back of the ticket in ink.

If they accidently throw the ticket away, lets pray they have the printed receipt listing the winning ticket serial number. <only 0.1% of all lottery players actually ask for the receipt>

If prone to heart attack or fainting let's hope they take their meds regularly and have a trusted friend or relative with them when they check their ticket. <and hope the police officer or the responding ems on the scene don't pilfer the winning ticket.>

If getting jumped for your ticket............run.......eat it... or do your best to destroy it. <lol>

The lottery can always track down if you purchased the winning ticket.

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
                  Denver, Co
                  United States
                  Member #103046
                  December 29, 2010
                  546 Posts
                  Posted: January 21, 2011, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

I also check them at home, but since I sometimes buy several dozen tickets for one draw, I'll use the machine to double check them (glad I do, I've missed one or two from time to time).

The self-serve machines I've seen don't show the amount you've won, they only say 'Congratulations! Winning Ticket' or 'Not a winner'.

You have to go to the counter to have an attendant check the amount.

And unfortunately, I've never won an amount that I would consider 'dangerous'. Unhappy

Monkey Butt, USA
                    United States
                    Member #54569
                    August 23, 2007
                    1124 Posts
                    Posted: January 21, 2011, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

I also check them at home, but since I sometimes buy several dozen tickets for one draw, I'll use the machine to double check them (glad I do, I've missed one or two from time to time).

The self-serve machines I've seen don't show the amount you've won, they only say 'Congratulations! Winning Ticket' or 'Not a winner'.

And unfortunately, I've never won an amount that I would consider 'dangerous'. Unhappy

Bump that!!!

That is when I pick up the results slip that has the amounts printed on them or ask the cashier to print one.

If the cashier refuses then I go elsewhere and get one or straight to the lottery website.

There is no way I will trust the cashier to tell me the truth, especially since I've become a member of Lottery Post....

Monkey Butt, USA
                      United States
                      Member #54569
                      August 23, 2007
                      1124 Posts
                      Posted: January 21, 2011, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

I dont know why people are always focusing on the negatives of winning.

My biggest worry would be having to come out in public to get my winnings or having my dad find out I've been spending money on tickets.

Because there are a lot of negatives in winning a jackpot.

No matter how you want to look at it, once you win your jackpot, your life will morph into something you never can imagine unless you were born into money.

You will have bottom feeders surfacing no matter how you try to hide.

You will have bottom feeders believing you owe them some or all of your jackpot.

You will have bottom feeding relatives crawl from under slimey rocks with their hands out.

You will have bottom feeding friends crawl from under slimey rocks with their hands out.

You will have bottom feeding strangers crawl from under slimey rocks with their hands out.

And I warn you that not all of these hands will be empty.......

Since we have not won a jackpot yet we can only imagine what we will do.

It is only when a person is staring down the barrel of a gun and survive can they tell you what they would do or what they did do.

Winning the lottery jackpot is when you will begin to stare down the barrel of a gun and only then will you know exactly what you will do.

The stories we read here on Lottery Post is only the tip of the lottery winners iceberg.

So, we are not focusing on the negatives of winning, we are just keeping it real.

Denver, Co
                        United States
                        Member #103046
                        December 29, 2010
                        546 Posts
                        Posted: January 21, 2011, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

@PERDUE- when they check, the machine prints a receipt with the amount for the ticket that has to be stapled to the winning ticket and I always watch the receipts and their count.

Monkey Butt, USA
                          United States
                          Member #54569
                          August 23, 2007
                          1124 Posts
                          Posted: January 21, 2011, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

@PERDUE- when they check, the machine prints a receipt with the amount for the ticket that has to be stapled to the winning ticket and I always watch the receipts and their count.

When I pick up a results slip I will get a slip for a particular game and it has the payout for all levels of that game. This is what it looks like.

EX:

Cash Five Winning Numbers for 01/20/2011 were:

2 - 7 - 15 - 20 - 22 

Number              Prize           
                             Correct               Amount             Winners
                                5 of 5                 $0                         0
                                4 of 5                 $384                     82
                                3 of 5                 $9                         2,541
                                2 of 5                 $2                         24,793 
                            Total Winners:                                   27,416 

I know a lot of places don't like to print them out like this and most times I have to ask. But this is how I know how much I've won. I always keep a copy in the car to use as an example when I run across a store clerk that claims not to know what I am talking about.

Denver, Co
                            United States
                            Member #103046
                            December 29, 2010
                            546 Posts
                            Posted: January 21, 2011, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

@ PERDUE, I do check my winnings at home so I know which are the winners, the losers, and how much I've won. I just check the amounts online.

It's when I go to cash them in when I'll use the self-serve machine to scan the losers to see if I missed something. Once done, then I have the attendant cash my already signed tickets, and I have them put the winning ticket with the win receipts on the counter so I can watch the amounts and the receipts to make sure they are coming up with the same thing I came up with.

Monkey Butt, USA
                              United States
                              Member #54569
                              August 23, 2007
                              1124 Posts
                              Posted: January 21, 2011, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

@ PERDUE, I do check my winnings at home so I know which are the winners, the losers, and how much I've won. I just check the amounts online.

It's when I go to cash them in when I'll use the self-serve machine to scan the losers to see if I missed something. Once done, then I have the attendant cash my already signed tickets, and I have them put the winning ticket with the win receipts on the counter so I can watch the amounts and the receipts to make sure they are coming up with the same thing I came up with.

I Agree!  I Agree!  I Agree!

I have had instances where I've gone to cash in tickets and they were rejected by the machine and I had to pull out the results slip and have the cashier pull the drawing up on their machine to see that the ticket was a winner. Although the amounts were only $2, I've had this happen more than once.

Even the clerks were confused because the machine kept saying the ticket was not a winner. What the clerk ended up doing was entering in the serial number of the ticket by hand and the system accepted the information and paid out.

Once I had about $20 worth of $2 tickets. lol

Which leads to the reason why I really do not like the paper used in the self purchasing lottery machines. Thermal Paper/smudges.