Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpot winner dangers!

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 6 years ago by zerxfi.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
adelaide sa
Australia
Member #37136
April 11, 2006
3300 Posts
Posted: January 21, 2011, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

wow i ve never heard winning compared to looking down the barel of a gun. if thats how i felt i would reconsider buying tickets. we just moved over to thermal paper here in my state from old dot matrix type printers. i cant say im happy with it, always gotta remeber to take them out of the car or they'll be blank  after the next hot day.

that about the scan not showing  wins is pretty bad makes me even more paranoid now with this new thermal print

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
    Denver, Co
    United States
    Member #103046
    December 29, 2010
    546 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2011, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

"wow i ve never heard winning compared to looking down the barel of a gun."

Think of it, not everyone is going to share in the joy of you winning a huge amount of money. You get your hands on $100 million dollars, there are going to be folks who think you don't deserve it, who think they do deserve it, and think they deserve some of all of your winnings...legally or not.

My wife and I have agreed that if we win the big one (or a substantial amount) that we will never tell a soul, not even our parents or closest family members. It's not that we don't trust our parents with the money, it's just we don't trust that they won't go blabbing to other people who may not be as understanding and trustworthy.

I realize we probably won't be able to become anonymous winners, but we're going to do our best to keep it between the two of us and no one else (other than lawyers, financial planner, etc).

As has been said, everyone and their brother will be at your door with their hands out. You'll find you've got friends and family whom you never realized you had, if you know what I mean.

So, mums the word if we win.

socalgal's avatar - bobblecars3
      California
      United States
      Member #103560
      January 3, 2011
      56 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2011, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

For Mega and Super, I always check my tickets at home online.  If I have a winning scratch ticket, then I use the scanner....just to make sure there's nothing wrong with my eyes and make me see double. Crazy

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
        Ohio
        United States
        Member #49980
        February 21, 2007
        34125 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2011, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Jackpot dangers, If you owe anybody there money come off the top first. If you are seperated and you win your Partner will get half of it. Like the Lady that won the Mega Million I think she was seperated from Husband and she had to share her winning with her Husband from her winnings that is why it took her so long to come forward.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3300 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2011, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

yeah people are nosey, go to a bank and they want to know how much you have in there,  pull out a credit card they want to know how much credit you have. and its onyl for one reason to see if its worth trying to get some.

im prob too naive and trusting to survive winning a big jackpot. ill be bitter and hateful in no time. if only i could havce kept my big trap shut ill say to myself. you have the right idea.

maybe if i win ill have to still here and read the posts, remind me to stay grounded.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
            Whiskey Island
            United States
            Member #90216
            April 24, 2010
            12730 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2011, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

The one of many things to do is no interviews just release a statement . Change you cell number get ride of home phone . A P.O. box for all the letters of people asking for money. Move just live you're Life . This is just a few things to do...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10347 Posts
              Posted: January 22, 2011, 11:33 am - IP Logged

From the Misouri lotteey website FAQ page, If You Win A Jackpot:

Some other things to consider.

You may want to change your telephone number, or get an answering machine and caller ID so you can screen your calls. After people hear that you've won, you may receive calls from friends who want to congratulate you or sales people who have heard about your good fortune. Remember to give any new telephone numbers to the Missouri Lottery, so staff members can contact you about any tax or law changes, upcoming Millionaires Reunions, etc. Depending on the amount of your jackpot, you may want to stay away from your home for a few days. If you've won a significant amount that has drawn national attention, the media may try to track you down at home for the story. Amounts of $50 million or less probably won't cause a great deal of media frenzy.

I still say, all in all, the less you "flash" the more you'll keep of the cash.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Denver, Co
                United States
                Member #103046
                December 29, 2010
                546 Posts
                Posted: January 22, 2011, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

"Amounts of $50 million or less probably won't cause a great deal of media frenzy."

Well, in that case Coin Toss, I have no problem if I won something under $50,000,000.

In fact, I wouldn't mind one bit if I had to split tonites PB with 2 other people. Banana

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                  Mcminnville, Oregon
                  United States
                  Member #3013
                  December 13, 2003
                  3047 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2011, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

I am going to be 36 this year so I doubt I will have a heart attack but you never know with being overweight.  I check my tickets at the terminal with a trusted store owner.  He has never cheated me of anything in the many years of service that I have gone to him and his wife.  So all I have to do is just win one time.   Good luck to everyone.-weshar75

US Flag

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10347 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2011, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

"Amounts of $50 million or less probably won't cause a great deal of media frenzy."

Well, in that case Coin Toss, I have no problem if I won something under $50,000,000.

In fact, I wouldn't mind one bit if I had to split tonites PB with 2 other people. Banana

That wasn't me, that was copied from the Missouri lottery website. They're probably right as far as national media is concerned, it takes a bigger and bigger jackpot to attract that kind of attention.

But as far as locally, $50,000,000, GOOD LUCK staying low!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Denver, Co
                      United States
                      Member #103046
                      December 29, 2010
                      546 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2011, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Speaking of dangers, every once in a while I'll do a search of the cable channels for any lottery-related shows, and found this one...Weds 1/26 @ 6 am on E! (channel 114 on Dish Network): a two-hour show called "Curse of the Lottery". The description is 'Some lottery winners discover that the windfall can promote bad results, like bankruptcy, drug addiction, and even murder'.

I've got it set to record to see what it's about.

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10347 Posts
                        Posted: January 22, 2011, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

Speaking of dangers, every once in a while I'll do a search of the cable channels for any lottery-related shows, and found this one...Weds 1/26 @ 6 am on E! (channel 114 on Dish Network): a two-hour show called "Curse of the Lottery". The description is 'Some lottery winners discover that the windfall can promote bad results, like bankruptcy, drug addiction, and even murder'.

I've got it set to record to see what it's about.

Thanks for the heads up! Usually these are on TLC, I wonder of it's one of those already shown or something different by E!

The ones on TLC are usually one hour episodes so I'll be looking for this too.

Lep

Denver, Co
                          United States
                          Member #103046
                          December 29, 2010
                          546 Posts
                          Posted: January 22, 2011, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the heads up! Usually these are on TLC, I wonder of it's one of those already shown or something different by E!

The ones on TLC are usually one hour episodes so I'll be looking for this too.

Yeah, TLC has a bunch of 'Lottery Changed my Life' shows next Sunday (30th), however this one popped up during my search. Probably a repeat, considering they're running it at 6am.

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
                            Albuquerque, New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #5128
                            June 18, 2004
                            377 Posts
                            Posted: January 22, 2011, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Perdue, I agree, there are always going to be some bottom feeders. I really do not think that lottery winners are the only ones who get requests for money.  Think about it.  I am certain Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Oprah Winfrey, The Rockerfellers, the legions of the Wal-Mart family, and many Hollywood superstars receive requests all the time. However, some of the above have the sense to say, "no." However, Bill Gates donates to charitable causes -- and people, for the most part -- seem to like thatLet us not forget Oprah's contributions, too. When people are that generous, their generosity takes the heat off of them from the general public: at least they are giving some of their money away.

Finally, I do not know what it is with some of the general public to think that lottery winners are fair game, and for some of them, the general public will never ask some of the Wall Street executives who make six figures or more for money, too.  Why are they exempted with their big, fat salaries?

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

Denver, Co
                              United States
                              Member #103046
                              December 29, 2010
                              546 Posts
                              Posted: January 22, 2011, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

"Finally, I do not know what it is with some of the general public to think that lottery winners are fair game, and for some of them, the general public will never ask some of the Wall Street executives who make six figures or more for money, too.  Why are they exempted with their big, fat salaries?"

I would guess that even though those execs are fat, people may see them as having earned it in one way or another, that maybe they are using some kind of skill or expertise to gain that money, and therefore they deserve it.

Whereas the lotto winner, who did absolutely nothing other than buy a $1 ticket to reap millions of dollars, is looked down upon, kind alike "who the heck do you think you are to get all that money, what makes you so special? What makes you think you deserve it any more than I do?"