Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are Auto Picks for Mega Millions and Power Balls Generated at The Retailer's Terminal?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 6 years ago by sully16.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #105128
January 25, 2011
6 Posts
Posted: January 26, 2011, 9:34 am - IP Logged

I agree with joker. IF, and say BIG IF, you asked these question and received this response, it says more about you than the game.

What would possess you to ask the same question in so many ways, each time with misleading or unfounded inferences that makes any answer almost impossible?

I don't get it. One simple question would have received a simple reply.

HOW ARE QUICK PICKS GENERATED?

My questions speak for themselves and the merits of them are obvious, except perhaps to you.

The questions were not posted to raise a debate about me than the game as you have insinuated, because you do not have any information about me to formulate any sound or respectable opinion.

The posting is not a public request or appeal to you to evaluate, critique or grade my English Language writing and composition skills, and since you have only inferred and deducted "misleading or unfounded inferences  that makes any answer almost impossible?", it is obvious that you are the reader that has fallen victim to the possession of ineptitudeness, cantankerousness and hopelessness. You can be rest assured that no demon has taken possession of the writer of this posting to have impelled upon him to "ask the same question in so many ways"

You are correct in that you didn't get it and you are wrong in that "One simple question would have received a simple reply", because you are not a sage and most of all the very entity that responded to my 7 questions did not share your flawed observation no matter how suspiciously flawed their answers were.

Finally, this is not about "HOW ARE QUICK PICKS GENERATED?” but specifically about “How are Mega Millions and Power ball Quick Picks Generated”.There are no implied interest on other games with quick picks options in this postings.

I hope that you will find it worthier to endorse a day and opportunity for improved understanding of how these games work than unhealthy rancorousness. This subject has come up before in this site and had a very lenghty discussion by members

United States
    Member #105128
    January 25, 2011
    6 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2011, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Sounds like you should pick your own numbers because you don't like the quick pick numbers you received?

Just as "joker17" posted: "Does it really matter", for quick picks, that's your choice.

Read my postings for yourself and formulate your own independent and autonomous opinion, free from joker17's flawed readings and interpretations. After all, you are a sovereign person free to think on your own and not a robot at joker17's whims,  mercy and leach.

This is not about my liking or not liking the quick pick numbers I received or did not receive, but ultimately about getting the Michigan Lottery to be more transparent on how it's lotteries work and in specific, how the multi-state games that it participates in are handled in Michigan, and have them provide to the public what they should know about the games that it operates. My personal experience with the Michigan Lottery over the years is un-impressive as I find them to frequently deny, and restrict information that should be naturally available to the public anyway, and I would rank them at the bottom of the transparency list of all US lotteries.

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: January 26, 2011, 10:45 am - IP Logged

Ok Participant, what will you do with the info?

Let's say you found out that they all generate the numbers from the terminal, now what? I'm not trying to be wise guy, but I'm really interested with what you'll do with that info.

This is just as puzzling to me as that commercial I see on T.V. all the time. Ancestry.com....

So now I find out my Great Grandfather was a Firefighter in bum effin Egypt back in 1799....Now what?....lol

What do I do with that info?....Ok, I call my sister in California and tell her that I just found out he was a firefighter in 1799. She then asks me If I want a cookie.....

Then I call my dad and tell him that his grandfather was a firefighter, and he tells me....ummmmmmm....alrighty then......I could've told you that, you shouldn't have spent $29.95 for that....lol

Ok, so no one gives two schmidts about my Great grandfather. Maybe I'll go to Walmart and buy a picture frame and I'll write "My Great Grandfather was a Firefighter in Bum effin Egypt in 1799", and place it under the glass in the frame and hang it on my wall.

There!....My life is now complete...Now i can sleep at night......Bed

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49674 Posts
        Posted: January 26, 2011, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

I posted the below listed questions to the Mega Millions and Powerbal States. All the states that have responded to me so far have the same answers with the exception of Michigan. My original questions are in black and Michigan Lottery Bureau's response are in red. Thier responses except for No. 7 are exactly opposite to the answers I received from all the other games states. Could any one comment on the accuracy of Michigan's response. I was expecting some consistency with what goes on in Michigan and the balance of the states on how quick picks are selected, but it appears not to be the case.

1. Is it correct that when a player buys a Michigan Mega millions or Power Ball lottery ticket using the easy-pick feature that the set of random numbers generated is actually done by the retailer's terminal and then sent to the Lottery commission central computer for recording? NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT.

2. Is it correct that the lottery central computer is not the originator of the easy-pick numbers that the retailer's terminal prints? And that the retailer's terminal(computer) is? NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT

3. If 1 and 2 in above are true, does it mean that each retailer could be potentially generating and selling the same sets of easy-pick numbers on a daily basis to multiple players who request the auto pick features as other retailers are doing during a particular game period? NOT APPLICABLE

4. Where is the set of auto-pick numbers that are printed at the retailer's terminal generated from? the retailer's terminal(computer) or the lottery central computer for the Mega millions and Power ball easy-pick tickets? LOTTERY CENTRAL

5. Are the easy-picks tickets for Mega millions and Power-ball generated randomly at the retailer's machine or are they selected from a pool of numbers already stored on the retailer's terminal? EACH SET OF NUMBERS IS GENERATED WITH EACH TRANSACTION

6. Are the easy-picks tickets for Mega millions and Power-ball generated randomly at the Lottery central computer or are they selected from a pool of numbers already stored on the Lottery Central Computer? SEE ABOVE

7. What does the Lottery authorities do between the break in sales and drawing for both Mega Millions and Powerball games? MAKE SURE THAT ALL WAGERS FOR THAT DRAWING HAVE BEEN INCLUDED IN THE DRAWING POOL SO THAT EVERYONE WHO PURCHASED TICKETS FOR THAT DRAWING HAS AN OPPORTUNITY TO WIN.

THANKS!

One half of the world wonders how lottery Quick Picks are Generated while the other half of the world wonders if they will eat today.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: January 26, 2011, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

Is it safe to say it Sounds like "Participant" is going to law school? Cheers *BURP*

"Is it safe to say it Sounds like "Participant" is going to law school?"

Wouldn't that be a lot like spending $125,000 on MM or PB tickets? That is, a very slim chance it will be money well spent? The questions sound to me like it might be an effort to gather evidence by somebody who has watched a lot of TV actors pretending to be bad lawyers. "Isn't it true that...?" What kind of answer should you get? "Yes, it isn't true"?

Seriously, I feel terrible for the poor people at several dozen lottery offices trying to wade through those questions as their eyes glazed over, trying to understand the questions, and then provide a correct answer to the question that was intended. I certainly didn't get far before losing interest in what the questions said, and I hadn't already spent my morning answering every inane question that pops into the inbox of somebody who answers player's questions.

"Maybe you want to contact the Michigan Lottery Director to let them know that bad info is being disseminated."

Maybe the lottery director aleady knows that sometimes players get bad answers when they ask long, convoluted questions, all of which seemingly lead up to the idea that the lottery is, for some reason, using the time between close of sales and the drawing to check the numbers that are played. I'm positive that it's not cost effective for the state to spend more time and money answering the questions.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
            The Ville, FL
            United States
            Member #95879
            August 19, 2010
            1708 Posts
            Posted: January 26, 2011, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

Ok, here's how it works. A computer randomly picks the number.

Jester

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
              Denver, Co
              United States
              Member #103046
              December 29, 2010
              546 Posts
              Posted: January 26, 2011, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

Read my postings for yourself and formulate your own independent and autonomous opinion, free from joker17's flawed readings and interpretations. After all, you are a sovereign person free to think on your own and not a robot at joker17's whims,  mercy and leach.

This is not about my liking or not liking the quick pick numbers I received or did not receive, but ultimately about getting the Michigan Lottery to be more transparent on how it's lotteries work and in specific, how the multi-state games that it participates in are handled in Michigan, and have them provide to the public what they should know about the games that it operates. My personal experience with the Michigan Lottery over the years is un-impressive as I find them to frequently deny, and restrict information that should be naturally available to the public anyway, and I would rank them at the bottom of the transparency list of all US lotteries.

Like joker17 said, what is next? If you suspect there is some hokey-pokey and tokey-smokey going on in the lottery commission, and that this is about getting the Michigan Lottery to be more transparent, how will you do that?

Seriously...

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                Dallas, Texas
                United States
                Member #4549
                May 2, 2004
                1675 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2011, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

I've noticed you haven't responded to my post on page one.

You haven't provided any contact info, or the original context you were given, or posted answers from any of the other states you say you provided answers.

Why am I not surprised?

And now you admit this is all about your "personal experience with the Michigan Lottery" and how much you distrust them and "ultimately about getting the Michigan Lottery to be more transparent," even it means being less transparent yourself.

Interesting means to an end. It reminds me of the old joke line, "I want truth, honesty, and justice,  And I'm willing to lie, cheat and steal to get it!"

Now, will you be providing the contact info so I can contact this person who gave these answers? Will you be contacting the lottery director, as Todd suggested?

Will you posting any of the responses you received from the other states in your survey?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23260 Posts
                  Posted: January 27, 2011, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

I reached out to the Michigan Lottery office, and this afternoon I received a note back from the PR Director, correcting the inaccurate information that started this thread.

The note starts off:

Hi Todd.

We stand corrected. The easy pick numbers are generated at the terminal and recorded by the central system, then printed by the terminal.

I knew this was the case anyway, but it's good to see the lottery send out corrected information.  I felt it was necessary to reach out to the lottery to get the record set straight, because the information posted at the start of this thread only serves as false proof to people who are highly suspicious of the lottery.  The slightest perceived chink in the armor will set these people off on a wild set of conspiracy theories.

It's good to be vigilant and cautious, but not good to blow things out of proportion, especially when it's based on misinformation.

Although I wish it were not the case, I'm sure that some people will never be convinced that the lottery is somehow manipulating the Quick Pick numbers in order to make sure certain areas have winning tickets.  As an expert in technology, I know that is a ridiculous notion -- because I understand how all the equipment and software works -- but there will be no way to convince some people.

In her note to me, the director also wanted to be clear that it is most definitely possible for multiple tickets to be generated within the state containing the same set of Quick Pick numbers.  That's because the individual lottery terminals each generate the random numbers independently, with no centralized control, so with millions of tickets sold, the odds are very good that many of the tickets would be duplicates.

That concept also explains why in some big jackpot draws there are multiple winners who used Quick Picks.  If there WEREN'T duplicates, THAT would be suspicious.  Having some duplicates is the expected behavior.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                    Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    40346 Posts
                    Posted: January 29, 2011, 10:48 am - IP Logged

Thanks Todd

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"