Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery drawing balls

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 6 years ago by joker17.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
SteveC's avatar - istockphoto 1955988-lottery-ball.jpg
Cincinnati
United States
Member #105168
January 26, 2011
600 Posts
Posted: January 27, 2011, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

I'm new to LP and this is my first post so please be patient with me if this topic is wore out or elsewhere in the forum.

A couple months ago I emailed the state of ohio lottery commision website contact inquiring on how often the drawing balls are replaced and if the same balls are used for the evening draw as the afternoon. No Reply. This last week I finally recieved a reply. Vague and did not answer about the using the exact same balls for both draws.

The last time the balls were replaced it seems was april when they switched to a Mango color for Pick 3, 4 and 5. Blue for classic lottery. lol. Some good information to have.

Anyway, if anyone has information on the use of the balls or different balls from the afternoon draw to the evening I would appreciate having it. I have recently started playing the lottery and thought it would come in handing checking out number trends.

Thanks,

SteveC

Oh, almost forgot. Sorry for trying to post the link she did send me though. I guess she thought I was questioning thier honesty and sent me a link to a youtube video made by the state of ohio that was made in response to someone who had. If your interested in seeing it. Search for the video, keywords. 'are your numbers rigged'  thought it had good information if not humorous. Big Smile

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
    Denver, Co
    United States
    Member #103046
    December 29, 2010
    546 Posts
    Posted: January 27, 2011, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to help but can't, Colorado uses RNG's for local games. I wish they'd go back to playing with their balls.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8360 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2011, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I'm new to LP and this is my first post so please be patient with me if this topic is wore out or elsewhere in the forum.

A couple months ago I emailed the state of ohio lottery commision website contact inquiring on how often the drawing balls are replaced and if the same balls are used for the evening draw as the afternoon. No Reply. This last week I finally recieved a reply. Vague and did not answer about the using the exact same balls for both draws.

The last time the balls were replaced it seems was april when they switched to a Mango color for Pick 3, 4 and 5. Blue for classic lottery. lol. Some good information to have.

Anyway, if anyone has information on the use of the balls or different balls from the afternoon draw to the evening I would appreciate having it. I have recently started playing the lottery and thought it would come in handing checking out number trends.

Thanks,

SteveC

Oh, almost forgot. Sorry for trying to post the link she did send me though. I guess she thought I was questioning thier honesty and sent me a link to a youtube video made by the state of ohio that was made in response to someone who had. If your interested in seeing it. Search for the video, keywords. 'are your numbers rigged'  thought it had good information if not humorous. Big Smile

I don't buy the answer they gave you one bit.

Suppose while checking the balls they dropped one on the floor and someone stepped on it. They be in a pickle because they only had one set of balls it's my understanding the lottery's have many sets of balls and rotate them periodically or change sets of balls for every drawing at their digression.

If you want the correct answer to your question contact the drawing supervisor and ask them

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        SteveC's avatar - istockphoto 1955988-lottery-ball.jpg
        Cincinnati
        United States
        Member #105168
        January 26, 2011
        600 Posts
        Posted: January 28, 2011, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Since i've posted this I have to update.

I've recieved two emails from Ohio Lottery Commision Contact and they avoid my question it seems and make up thier own, though they answer that one fully. lol

The question is simple enough "Do you use the exact same balls for the evening pick 3 & 4 draws as you do the afternoon?". Like I said I am new to playing the lottery but charting ball trends is not practical if I dont know wether I am charting every draw seperating the two or combining them.

Once again input is appreciated.Smile

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
          Northern Virginia
          United States
          Member #83350
          December 5, 2009
          1314 Posts
          Posted: January 28, 2011, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to help but can't, Colorado uses RNG's for local games. I wish they'd go back to playing with their balls.

If I were a Colorado resident, I would wish that too. I would also wish that Colorado would start a Pick-3 and/or Pick-4 numbers game.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
            Denver, Co
            United States
            Member #103046
            December 29, 2010
            546 Posts
            Posted: January 28, 2011, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

If I were a Colorado resident, I would wish that too. I would also wish that Colorado would start a Pick-3 and/or Pick-4 numbers game.

Yep, I see so much about those games on the forum and we have neither, they look like a lot of fun to play and to try and win.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Chicago
              United States
              Member #70678
              February 8, 2009
              889 Posts
              Posted: January 28, 2011, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

I've recieved two emails from Ohio Lottery Commision Contact and they avoid my question it seems and make up thier own, though they answer that one fully. lol

The question is simple enough "Do you use the exact same balls for the evening pick 3 & 4 draws as you do the afternoon?". Like I said I am new to playing the lottery but charting ball trends is not practical if I dont know wether I am charting every draw seperating the two or combining them.

That's sad. Maybe they're practicing to become future politicians.

More than likely I would say the answer is no.

Just get me thru this so called life......

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                Dallas, Texas
                United States
                Member #4549
                May 2, 2004
                1684 Posts
                Posted: January 28, 2011, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Here's the email response I received this morning. Notice the balls sets are randomly chosen and tested prior to each draw which means even they don't know which set they will be using. 

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your question. We
                replaced the all ball sets most recently in May 2010. There are 10 sets plus a
                spare for Pick 3 and 4. The ball sets for each draw are randomly chosen and then
                tested prior to the draw. Here is a link to a short video about our drawings in
                response to a question regarding how draws are conducted: http://ohiolottery.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/hey-chunkmaztrj/

--

Follow us on Twitter! http://twitter.com/OHLottery

Chicago
                  United States
                  Member #70678
                  February 8, 2009
                  889 Posts
                  Posted: January 28, 2011, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

Here's the email response I received this morning. Notice the balls sets are randomly chosen and tested prior to each draw which means even they don't know which set they will be using. 

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your question. We
                  replaced the all ball sets most recently in May 2010. There are 10 sets plus a
                  spare for Pick 3 and 4. The ball sets for each draw are randomly chosen and then
                  tested prior to the draw. Here is a link to a short video about our drawings in
                  response to a question regarding how draws are conducted: http://ohiolottery.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/hey-chunkmaztrj/

--

Follow us on Twitter! http://twitter.com/OHLottery

Ok this just reminded me of another video I watched showing a drawing. I think the link has to be somewhere in one of the posts here at LP.

Anyway it was the same as what you stated: the ball sets were randomly chosen. Also everything was video taped.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8360 Posts
                    Posted: January 28, 2011, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Track them both ways and see what works best, also consider they might use the balls they used last night for the next midday drawing.

No matter what you do remember that the drawings are a random event.

There are tons of information one here about lottery drawings and random events.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                      grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                      Winning makes me smile.
                      bel air maryland
                      United States
                      Member #90251
                      April 24, 2010
                      4862 Posts
                      Posted: January 28, 2011, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

I'm wondering how many "practice runs" they do before they televise the actual drawing, or if the drawings are on tape delay instead of live. Here in Maryland for example, if too many pick 4 tickets are sold for a particular number, say 1111, 2222 etc. they will stop selling tickets for that number for that drawing. If you try to buy that number the clerk will tell you the number is sold out. This tells me if they know how many tickets were sold, they know how much the payout will be before the drawing takes place. So if they stop selling tickets they can control the payout.

Now the question is, if they are testing the lottery machines before the drawing to make sure they are working properly and the sold out number comes up, will they televise that and use it for the "live" drawing? Or will they say, lets check the machine one more time, and televise a number that not so many people have? If this can happen on pick 4 numbers, would they do the same thing on high selling  pick 3 numbers also? Does this happen in other states also? 

What do you think? Is this possible? What does this do for the legitimacy of the lottery drawings?

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40377 Posts
                        Posted: January 28, 2011, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

after 12 draws figure out which 5 numbers come out the most , this will be a trend for about 20 -30 draws at least 1 of the top 5 will be out in every drawing. every now and then play combos with the bottom 5.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Chicago
                          United States
                          Member #70678
                          February 8, 2009
                          889 Posts
                          Posted: January 29, 2011, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

I'm wondering how many "practice runs" they do before they televise the actual drawing, or if the drawings are on tape delay instead of live. Here in Maryland for example, if too many pick 4 tickets are sold for a particular number, say 1111, 2222 etc. they will stop selling tickets for that number for that drawing. If you try to buy that number the clerk will tell you the number is sold out. This tells me if they know how many tickets were sold, they know how much the payout will be before the drawing takes place. So if they stop selling tickets they can control the payout.

Now the question is, if they are testing the lottery machines before the drawing to make sure they are working properly and the sold out number comes up, will they televise that and use it for the "live" drawing? Or will they say, lets check the machine one more time, and televise a number that not so many people have? If this can happen on pick 4 numbers, would they do the same thing on high selling  pick 3 numbers also? Does this happen in other states also? 

What do you think? Is this possible? What does this do for the legitimacy of the lottery drawings?

That's an interesting question. I know here in IL when they show the drawings all the ball machines are in the same room. The host goes from one set to the next until all the drawings for that night are done (say pick 3 then pick 4 then little lotto) There's no way the drawings could be taped delayed as far as from one draw to the next if the outcome is unfavorable.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                            Dallas, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #4549
                            May 2, 2004
                            1684 Posts
                            Posted: January 29, 2011, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

Just the opposite is true. The fact that the states do suspend sales of a number proves it to be a honest game.

If it were rigged the state would continue to sell that number and ensure it were not drawn.

The reason for suspending the sale of a number is to ensure the financial integrity of the game according the the Ohio website. Here at LP there is an article where Ohio suspended sales on 4114 (Buckeye football score) when it reached a potential payout of $6 million.

NY suspended sales of 1549 (Flight 1549, Miracle of the Hudson) when the payout for that number reached a potential payout of $5 million.

Now, if these lotteries were rigged these states would continue selling all the 4114s and 1549s they could, knowing they would never pay out.

Texas holds a public drawing (the address is published on their website) in Austin. They perform 4 pretests using three different ball sets. If any number comes up 5 times, they use a different ball set.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                              Winning makes me smile.
                              bel air maryland
                              United States
                              Member #90251
                              April 24, 2010
                              4862 Posts
                              Posted: January 30, 2011, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

Here in Md. they have a host too for the drawings. I was wondering since all the pretests are video taped could the host be there for all the pretests and then they pick the "best" one to show "live"? You said if a ball comes up 5 times in a row during the pretest they switch ball sets, does that mean there is something wrong with the ball? Or is it just chance, fate or whatever, it came up 5 times?

Heres an example of what I mean. On the Md. midday from 12/30/10 thru 1/10/11, 12 draws 36 balls, the #9 hit every day except 1/6/11, including 3 doubles, that was 14 out of 36 balls. Hmm! During that same period beginning 12/30 the #8 did not hit until 1/17, hit twice in a row, then went another 10 days before hitting on 1/29 for 3 hits in 31 days. Was there something wrong with the 9 & 8 or was it just chance, or fate? It does make you wonder at least a little.

Now if you had $20 on a straight pick 3 or 4 and some how you found out your # came up straight during the pretest, and another number was shown "live" would you feel differently?