Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Small Jackpots vs Big Jackpots

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 6 years ago by markp1950.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

You prefer playing when the jackpot is around...

$1million or under (pick games, etc) [ 3 ]  [4.62%]
$1-2million [ 3 ]  [4.62%]
$3-5million [ 1 ]  [1.54%]
$5-10million [ 1 ]  [1.54%]
$10-20million [ 4 ]  [6.15%]
$20-50million [ 4 ]  [6.15%]
$50-100million [ 8 ]  [12.31%]
$100-200million [ 8 ]  [12.31%]
over $200million [ 4 ]  [6.15%]
Doesnt matter, I play anytime [ 29 ]  [44.62%]
Total Valid Votes [ 65 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10353 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2011, 10:21 am - IP Logged

The Canadian 6/49 lotto is starting to look really good. 30 million canadian dollars with odds of 1 in 14 million for one ticket. Another great thing about the Canadian lotto is the advertized jackpot is exactly what you get, it's the lump sum with taxes already paid. Not like the lottos in the US where the advertized jackpot is the annuity. If I was in Canada or close to the border, I'd play this for sure. The online butler service is really steep, so I'll wait until the jackpot is bigger.

If an American hits the Canadian lottery Uncle Sam will still have his hand out.

It's happened already.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
    Magnolia, Delaware
    United States
    Member #18795
    July 20, 2005
    789 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2011, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

If an American hits the Canadian lottery Uncle Sam will still have his hand out.

It's happened already.

I Agree! And FYI The Canadians equivalent to the IRS does share tax information with the United States Internal Revenue Service! That way Canadian citizens can't hide any money here in the US without being found out by their own taxing body of the Canadian Government!

And the Canadian Government will forward the tax money that is due on to the US IRS before you getting paid!

It's called the "United States-Canada Income Tax Treaty"

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
      Texas
      United States
      Member #92330
      June 5, 2010
      887 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2011, 1:33 am - IP Logged

I play whenever, though occasionally I'll throw in more for bigger payouts.

With the amount after taxes on either the PB or MM I can still enjoy myself and live out a full life with the winnings, even if it's the $12 million PB jackpot. I wouldn't be able to do the things I could with something like $50 million but I would still have a very nice life and wouldn't have to worry about working.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
        Washington State
        United States
        Member #33973
        February 26, 2006
        347 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2011, 6:30 am - IP Logged

Since playing a game like MM or PB usually amounts to throwing my money away, I reached the conclusion that I'd rather throw it at the chance of winning a larger amount than at a smaller one.  So I usually don't play at all until the jackpot hits $50 million cash, but then often play $5.  Sometimes I don't play even then, if I don't happen to be going near a store that sells the tickets. 

I'm willing to spend about $300 a year out of pocket on lottery tickets, so the number of tickets I buy and point at which I start varies a bit depending upon how many weeks the big games have been running at lower or at higher jackpots.

Milwaukee, WI
          United States
          Member #3131
          December 27, 2003
          665 Posts
          Posted: March 16, 2011, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

It's more like Small jackpots AND big jackpots

I'm focusing on Wis Megabucks right now @ 1,200,000 after taxes..

BUT I just can't ignore 73,000,000 after taxes on Meg Millions so I will play PB much lighter...