Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Small Jackpots vs Big Jackpots

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 6 years ago by markp1950.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

You prefer playing when the jackpot is around...

$1million or under (pick games, etc) [ 3 ]  [4.62%]
$1-2million [ 3 ]  [4.62%]
$3-5million [ 1 ]  [1.54%]
$5-10million [ 1 ]  [1.54%]
$10-20million [ 4 ]  [6.15%]
$20-50million [ 4 ]  [6.15%]
$50-100million [ 8 ]  [12.31%]
$100-200million [ 8 ]  [12.31%]
over $200million [ 4 ]  [6.15%]
Doesnt matter, I play anytime [ 29 ]  [44.62%]
Total Valid Votes [ 65 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
Delaware
United States
Member #93503
July 1, 2010
453 Posts
Posted: February 2, 2011, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

Doesn't matter, Ideally I would love to win 100's of millions but in all honesty any jackpot win is HUGE seeing as you defied the odds and won.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    41979 Posts
    Posted: February 3, 2011, 12:35 am - IP Logged

I just want enough to retire, maybe start a small business, cause I 'm sick of the job I got.

HyperBe Happy.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: February 3, 2011, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

I put doesn't matter, but that's not really the case because it depends:

I just have token entries on Mega Millions, SuperLotto and Fantasy5 normally. But I tend to pile on more entries when Mega Millions is over $100,000,000 or Superlotto is over $25,000,000 or Fantasy5 is over $200,000. The odds are the same, and maybe you could actually win less because or more betters and the pari-mutuel system. But then again, if you hit...at least that is the dream.

megamanX's avatar - mega man_x_sprite-9629.jpg
        Pocatello, Idaho
        United States
        Member #105619
        February 3, 2011
        59 Posts
        Posted: February 3, 2011, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

one or two bucks with a small jackpot and $15 plus for any jackpot over 100 mil

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3316 Posts
          Posted: February 4, 2011, 4:55 am - IP Logged

ill take any win i can get ,but when i win a few $ i still complain it aint enough

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #78798
            August 21, 2009
            336 Posts
            Posted: February 5, 2011, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

I like big jackpots like anyone else, but lately I been playing games with smaller jackpots and odds. In Massachusetts we have Megabucks Doubler and Cash Winfall and i've been playing those more recently. Megabucks is at $3,000,000 right now with 1 in 14 million odds. I'd take the annuity which is for 20 years. Cash Winfall is at $1,175,000 with odds of 1 in 9 million and the payout is cash. I'd be eating real good with winning any of those.

Milwaukee, WI
              United States
              Member #3131
              December 27, 2003
              665 Posts
              Posted: February 6, 2011, 10:06 am - IP Logged

It depends on the odds of the game and its jackpot size.  Now that MegaMillions with odds of 1:175M has a $12M jackpot and PowerBall with odds of 1:195M and a $35.0M jackpot, Ohio Classic Lotto with odds of 1:14M and a jackpot of $20.7M is looking good to me.

Yes, if I lived in Ohio, I definately would focus on that that one.

It moved up to 21,200,000. Cash option about 10,600,000, about $6 million after taxes.

Old wisconsin Lotto is 1.5 mil cash, about $860,000 after taxes. Nice but not huge.

Minimum jackpot that I play for now is about $100,000 (with odds to match).....

I try to stay away from the excessive odds. But do respect huge amounts.

There is almost 1 jackpot that offers a better that average jackpot.

I do play the one that pays $350,000 everyday @ 1.6 mil odds. (Wis Supercash)

Pocatello, Idaho
                United States
                Member #105619
                February 3, 2011
                59 Posts
                Posted: February 8, 2011, 3:01 am - IP Logged

It depends on the odds of the game and its jackpot size.  Now that MegaMillions with odds of 1:175M has a $12M jackpot and PowerBall with odds of 1:195M and a $35.0M jackpot, Ohio Classic Lotto with odds of 1:14M and a jackpot of $20.7M is looking good to me.

if I won the Ohio Classic Lotto, I'd collect the money and then take my talents to south beach

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1958 Posts
                  Posted: February 8, 2011, 8:07 am - IP Logged

I'll play anytime.

Gonna win.Big Smile

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3112 Posts
                    Posted: February 9, 2011, 5:42 am - IP Logged

I've never seen value in allowing the size of the jackpot to determine how I play lotto. 

Of course that's what the lottery would like you to do.  Wink   

BobP

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                      Member #32537
                      February 12, 2006
                      698 Posts
                      Posted: February 9, 2011, 6:58 am - IP Logged

will bobp i get your point,   however the size does matter for me,

on  what would i do scale wise with the money,  so that effects how much i really  desire to play even more

a small pb/mm jackpot with a atfer tax's cash total  of say ...... take the current pb jackpot,,,, that  would force me to invest near all of it, got to make sure am set for life

,atfer 35% max fed rate on current cash pb jackpot, , thats only just above  20m cash as of pb draw for 9th,  i would Be forced to upwards  investments of 90% of if  i wanted it to last throuth out  my life time" am 24 atm"

so making sure i stay as wealthy multi millionaire , so even my great grand kids would have some left over is #1 plan

while a bigger jackpot say like a cool 50M cash atfer tax's,   aka 200+ Annuity jackpot levels , would leave me A ton of money to just Spend away like a reckless idiot

so it does make me play more the higher it is, i always play 1 ticket no matter what, but it ofc gets  upped to a lot more tickets come Epic levels of cash

, buying all that carp you don't really need ,    but  your So rich your like, What the hell, i have 4 diff cars now LOL, a super epic size home etc

. as then i can enjoy dreaming more about  What If's  and what all the reckless junk i would buy,

sense i already know i could not spend like that if won a small jackpot, as am to smart to know you can't live like   multi millionaire  forever , if you don't invest like one

their a reason so many poor people who large win amounts go near broke, 1 they make good story to lol at so their always in the news

,  and 2, they Never Thinked like a great invester and lost it, they treated small jackpots  wins as if they was some record 100+ cash jackpot and spent to much of it , i mean even large winners like jack spend like a rackless idiot, their no limit on human stupid parting ways with their insane amounts of cash.

small jackpots Just Don't offer me the same level of omfg  i need to play , if i win am so buying everthing i ever desired like it does for you poor people who have no clues how fast you can go thro millions and be broke.... 

so yes, large jackpots= i play hella lot more, as then i can be a rackless spender and get away with it to a point LOL

Pocatello, Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #105619
                        February 3, 2011
                        59 Posts
                        Posted: February 12, 2011, 5:19 am - IP Logged

The Canadian 6/49 lotto is starting to look really good. 30 million canadian dollars with odds of 1 in 14 million for one ticket. Another great thing about the Canadian lotto is the advertized jackpot is exactly what you get, it's the lump sum with taxes already paid. Not like the lottos in the US where the advertized jackpot is the annuity. If I was in Canada or close to the border, I'd play this for sure. The online butler service is really steep, so I'll wait until the jackpot is bigger.

Entertaiment Capital
                          United States
                          Member #37800
                          April 19, 2006
                          302 Posts
                          Posted: February 17, 2011, 1:44 am - IP Logged

I just need enough to buy a house in San Gabriel Valley area (which usually costs 7 figure, at least) and a financial safety nest. 20~30mil will be sweet. But I will still look for works as a concept artist for games,films and animation.

Those self-proclaimed American patriots are nothing but ignorant xenophobic jingoists. A real patriot is a conversationalist, not a pitbull.

Los Angeles, CA
                            United States
                            Member #97910
                            September 26, 2010
                            278 Posts
                            Posted: February 17, 2011, 3:31 am - IP Logged

I put $5 in every MM drawing. I'm just hoping for a 5+0 win, which is usually in the six figures and would be enough for me. I also play Fantasy 5 when the jackpot goes six-figures. Unfortunately (for me) there have been like 10 winners in a row so the jackpot keeps resetting

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: March 13, 2011, 12:43 am - IP Logged

One PP and one QP on JP games no matter the JP amount.

I'll use the winnings to fortify the compound in case ambelamba attacks.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke