Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why Do We Play The Jackpot Games Even Though 99.99999% Of The Time We Lose?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 6 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
11982 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2011, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

None of the 42 states hit a second prize in powerball last night.

Here is the link to prove that none of the 42 states hit a second prize in powerball on February 2, 2011. http://www.nylottery.org/ny/nyStore/cgi-bin/ProdDetEv_Cat_333661_NavRoot_304_ProdID_1662734.htm It is very shocking that out of 42 states nobody hit a second prize.

By the way on february 5, 2011 only one state won a second prize.Sometimes i wonder if i should even play $1.Here is the link for that one.http://www.nylottery.org/ny/nyStore/cgi-bin/ProdDetEv_Cat_333661_NavRoot_304_ProdID_1663874.htm

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19830 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2011, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Here is the link to prove that none of the 42 states hit a second prize in powerball on February 2, 2011. http://www.nylottery.org/ny/nyStore/cgi-bin/ProdDetEv_Cat_333661_NavRoot_304_ProdID_1662734.htm It is very shocking that out of 42 states nobody hit a second prize.

By the way on february 5, 2011 only one state won a second prize.Sometimes i wonder if i should even play $1.Here is the link for that one.http://www.nylottery.org/ny/nyStore/cgi-bin/ProdDetEv_Cat_333661_NavRoot_304_ProdID_1663874.htm

That information is at USAMega also:

12:35 am – Powerball: There were no jackpot winners and no $200,000 winners in the Wednesday, February 02, 2011 Powerball drawing.  For the complete rundown of winners by prize category, the drawing video, and all other data about this drawing, see the Powerball Drawing Detail page.

http://www.usamega.com/powerball-drawing.asp?d=2/2/2011

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

DFW, Texas
      United States
      Member #78628
      August 18, 2009
      134 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2011, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

If you don't play, your odds of winning are zero.  Buying one ticket makes your odds higher, you might say infinitely higher.  Each ticket after that makes a smaller difference, but it's the first ticket that changes your odds from "impossible" to "nearly impossible."  Each ticket after that changes your odds to "a tiny bit less nearly impossible."

I picked my game, Mega Millions.  I get one ticket for each draw.  When a jackpot is very high, I'll get two extra lines, one extra line of my numbers and one quick pick.  Other than that I stay with one ticket per draw.  I occasionally get a ticket for Lotto or Powerball when the mood strikes, or when the jackpot is high.  I don't really play for smaller amounts, although I don't turn down $2 or $7.  I play for the jackpot, and it's the first ticket that makes the big difference in odds.  For the most part, the first ticket is the only one I buy.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2011, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

"You/we play to win the game" Herm Edwards

megamanX's avatar - mega man_x_sprite-9629.jpg
          Pocatello, Idaho
          United States
          Member #105619
          February 3, 2011
          59 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2011, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

If you don't play, your odds of winning are zero.  Buying one ticket makes your odds higher, you might say infinitely higher.  Each ticket after that makes a smaller difference, but it's the first ticket that changes your odds from "impossible" to "nearly impossible."  Each ticket after that changes your odds to "a tiny bit less nearly impossible."

I picked my game, Mega Millions.  I get one ticket for each draw.  When a jackpot is very high, I'll get two extra lines, one extra line of my numbers and one quick pick.  Other than that I stay with one ticket per draw.  I occasionally get a ticket for Lotto or Powerball when the mood strikes, or when the jackpot is high.  I don't really play for smaller amounts, although I don't turn down $2 or $7.  I play for the jackpot, and it's the first ticket that makes the big difference in odds.  For the most part, the first ticket is the only one I buy.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Buying at least one ticket gives you a chance, which is better than no chance.

NEW YORK
            United States
            Member #90535
            April 29, 2010
            11982 Posts
            Posted: February 8, 2011, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

I agreed with you.The lottery is a random game of chance. Many will play it, but only a few will win it. That's the way it works. There's actually almost a 100% chance that you will never win it.But if you get 1 QUICK PICK TICKET you can be one of the lucky few.

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
              Member #93164
              June 23, 2010
              1325 Posts
              Posted: February 8, 2011, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

None of the 42 states hit a second prize in powerball last night.

I usually pretend to make my Powerball, Mega Millions, and California Super Lotto Plus picks. This is my reaction after that draw: OUCH!

megamanX's avatar - mega man_x_sprite-9629.jpg
                Pocatello, Idaho
                United States
                Member #105619
                February 3, 2011
                59 Posts
                Posted: February 8, 2011, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

I usually pretend to make my Powerball, Mega Millions, and California Super Lotto Plus picks. This is my reaction after that draw: OUCH!

where can you play all three?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3300 Posts
                  Posted: February 8, 2011, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

so what happens to the prize money allocated to that level, does it roll down to the next lower division?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: February 9, 2011, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

I agreed with you.The lottery is a random game of chance. Many will play it, but only a few will win it. That's the way it works. There's actually almost a 100% chance that you will never win it.But if you get 1 QUICK PICK TICKET you can be one of the lucky few.

Why does it have to be a QUICK PICK TICKET?

~70% of winners are QP's, coincidentally ~70% of ticket sales are QP's.

NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      11982 Posts
                      Posted: February 9, 2011, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Why does it have to be a QUICK PICK TICKET?

~70% of winners are QP's, coincidentally ~70% of ticket sales are QP's.

Because the lottery computer knows the winning combination 70% of time.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                        Member #32537
                        February 12, 2006
                        698 Posts
                        Posted: February 9, 2011, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

the turth it Their has to be at lest 1 freaking winner in the whole game

even if it takes a jackpot to grow to 240 million cash  aka 16 draws before freaking people  won it !,

it funds states bottom line, in tn my case helping people get college money

and the rest goes to making someone dreams come true via winners share, thats all a big plus to Play

i mainly play, cease i plan to win some day,  even if am crazy, i enjoy dreaming! 

no other games can offer a prize of 240 million cash for a buck at  a chance at it,

Now  that's what i call  buying a dream, if only for a few days, will worth the money to dream about how spend  100 million bucks plus

NEW YORK
                          United States
                          Member #90535
                          April 29, 2010
                          11982 Posts
                          Posted: February 9, 2011, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

the turth it Their has to be at lest 1 freaking winner in the whole game

even if it takes a jackpot to grow to 240 million cash  aka 16 draws before freaking people  won it !,

it funds states bottom line, in tn my case helping people get college money

and the rest goes to making someone dreams come true via winners share, thats all a big plus to Play

i mainly play, cease i plan to win some day,  even if am crazy, i enjoy dreaming! 

no other games can offer a prize of 240 million cash for a buck at  a chance at it,

Now  that's what i call  buying a dream, if only for a few days, will worth the money to dream about how spend  100 million bucks plus

what is your playing style? how much do you play per draw? and what is your jackpot playing level, 100 millions or less?

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                            Member #32537
                            February 12, 2006
                            698 Posts
                            Posted: February 9, 2011, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

my style? i play at starting level, i stay with just buying 1 buck to the jackpot above 50m cash, or about 100m Annuity

then 2 bucks,  going up to around 5 bucks for 200m or 100m cash level, and if its record levels  300+ Annuity   like last months mega was on cash jackpot, i spend about 10 to 30ish, depending on how much of a lotto itch  i have stareing at such a insane amount

in short, always disposable money i would of just spent on stuff like at starbucks , could care less if its Gone at the end of the day

always quick picks, am just far to lazy to pick numbers ever freaking draw for both games, pb/mm all year LOL,

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              11982 Posts
                              Posted: February 9, 2011, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

my style? i play at starting level, i stay with just buying 1 buck to the jackpot above 50m cash, or about 100m Annuity

then 2 bucks,  going up to around 5 bucks for 200m or 100m cash level, and if its record levels  300+ Annuity   like last months mega was on cash jackpot, i spend about 10 to 30ish, depending on how much of a lotto itch  i have stareing at such a insane amount

in short, always disposable money i would of just spent on stuff like at starbucks , could care less if its Gone at the end of the day

always quick picks, am just far to lazy to pick numbers ever freaking draw for both games, pb/mm all year LOL,

Why don't you play on a monthly basis and increase your chances without spending more money?