Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Need a new strategy and motivation

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Boney526.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
Denver, Co
United States
Member #103046
December 29, 2010
546 Posts
Posted: February 8, 2011, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

So funny you mention this because this is how I buy my tickets 90% of the time...Ive said it before and ill say it again now. 90% of the time before I enter a store I already know which ones I plan on buying.

I think planning ahead really helps. Things may change a bit if you ask the clerk about any recent winners, and the clerk says "yea there was a $500 winner on Gold Rush 30 minutes ago"...Then I would stay away from that Gold Rush book if thats the game I had planned on buying.

Good advice

Another thing I like to do is check the Colorado Lottery website...they have a list of 'grand prizes still remaining'.

If I see a 0, then for me it's time to quit playing that game. Check your own states website. Of course it is not going to be 100% accurate, the website may say there are 1 or 2 grand prizes remaining and they may have already been scratched but not redeemed. But at least if you see a zero you know you don't have to waste your time or money on that game.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #104435
    January 14, 2011
    2244 Posts
    Posted: February 8, 2011, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

I usually flip a coin to decide which scratcher to buy. Ive had instances where a ticket buttons light will flicker or be dimmer then the others and I take that as I sign and ive won several times $100 this way.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

Florida
      United States
      Member #102882
      December 27, 2010
      334 Posts
      Posted: February 8, 2011, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

I say wait until somebody's grandma wins and then date her. Make sure she writes you in her will.

.....Just being humorous....don't get all bent out of shape guys....Green laugh

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #99032
        October 18, 2010
        1439 Posts
        Posted: February 8, 2011, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

I usually buy my tickets from one store that I trust.  When I do buy them, I usually ask the clerk which one he thinks I should get from the $2 ones and sometimes $5 ones (the $1 scratch offs have bad odds in NJ, almost every other one's payouts are the same overall- just with different prize structures.)   The reason is just because he usually ends up lucky and because he knows which ones haven't hit a big prize yet.  For example, this morning I went to go play a Pick 3.  The Clerk added Instant/Bonus Match  (Whatever you wanna call it-it makes your Pick 3 or 4 like a scratch off that you don't have to scratch) by mistake, when I realized I just said I'd take it, since I knew that you couldn't cancel them anyway, and it won me $10.  Another time, I asked him which one to get and he told me to get a certain one because somebody had bought 10 of them and when they all lost got frustrated and left.  I bought 5 of them, one won 5 bucks and another won $100.

Another example of why I only get scrath offs there - and why I almost never buy $10 tickets, especially multiple ones.  I bought like 5 of this $10 dollar one at another store, and ran out of money.  I went to the ATM, and another clerk who works there took the last ticket in the roll and definetly won a lot of money, because I heard it print out the winner, and it had 3 digits, so it was either $100 or $500.  I know it's totally against the rules and I could have reported them - but I like the clerk (who didn't steal my scratch off lol) and he's the one who owns the store.  I'd rather not screw him over, because I know he's a good guy - so I just don't buy scratch offs there anymore.

Nowadays, I don't buy many scratch offs.  When I do, I usually ask the clerk which one I should buy- but that's because I'm a regular at the small convenient store and I trust the guy who works there.  He's also led me to a couple 50, 75 and 100 dollar wins.  Obviously he's not always right, but it's funny when he's not cuz he always says "awwww <snip>" in this funny tone if I didn't win on the ticket he suggested.

Like they said - make sure it's just a game.  I've been guilty of spending too much a few times and now I just don't do that anymore.  And try to find a store with trustworthy clerks.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.