Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Jackpot..Dream vs Reality...?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 6 years ago by markaz.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #74096
May 2, 2009
22980 Posts
Posted: February 21, 2011, 1:55 am - IP Logged

$155 Million.

Even with what you'll get to call your own, it's a lot of money.

Who has a dream list of what they'll do first?

Who is waiting to hit it to figure that one out?

You know what the chances are but, have you really considered just how much money that is and what it will mean if you win it?

The dream is to win it and spend it.

The reality is much more complicated.

I guess I should have made a poll type thread but which best fits you when you win?

A. All my dreams will come true, not a problem at all winning $155 Million....show me the money!

B. I'll lay low, keep my ticket in a safe place and think things through.....pull the blinds, don't answer the phone, call the moving company!

C. I'll lay low, keep my ticket in a safe place and think things through...contact an advisor and take their advice!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3301 Posts
    Posted: February 21, 2011, 4:56 am - IP Logged

1st id have to book a flight to usa to collect, umm and work out how i can get past the airport officials as idont  have enough cash to enter the country.

then get my ticket off who ever bought it for me. then claim my prize.,

then ill wonder about spending it, hehe seems a lot can go wrong even before i get my cash,

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6290 Posts
      Posted: February 21, 2011, 7:10 am - IP Logged

Well I would choose option B....... but DH would be option A....LOL

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
        Member #52345
        May 21, 2007
        2659 Posts
        Posted: February 21, 2011, 7:57 am - IP Logged

option B and if it don't fit in smallish stepvan I don't need to lug it around with me Twitch

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40613 Posts
          Posted: February 21, 2011, 8:17 am - IP Logged

A. Show me the money, Have alot of close family members out of work, all the kids will go to college and I'll go buy my island and chill.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
            Magnolia, Delaware
            United States
            Member #18795
            July 20, 2005
            789 Posts
            Posted: February 21, 2011, 9:05 am - IP Logged

$155 Million.

Even with what you'll get to call your own, it's a lot of money.

Who is waiting to hit it to figure that one out?

You know what the chances are but, have you really considered just how much money that is and what it will mean if you win it?

The dream is to win it and spend it.

The reality is much more complicated.

I guess I should have made a poll type thread but which best fits you when you win?

A. All my dreams will come true, not a problem at all winning $155 Million....show me the money!

B. I'll lay low, keep my ticket in a safe place and think things through.....pull the blinds, don't answer the phone, call the moving company!

C. I'll lay low, keep my ticket in a safe place and think things through...contact an advisor and take their advice!

First of all option A isn't an option I don't do annuities! And neither should anyone else.

Option B is more likely the option to do....lol

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10356 Posts
              Posted: February 21, 2011, 10:18 am - IP Logged

A little beyond B or C, lay low and "go to the mattresses".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                Member #32537
                February 12, 2006
                698 Posts
                Posted: February 21, 2011, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

I do lol,    first i got to my bookmark folder where i saved very needed web sites,

first thing is to open my trust lawyers in a major law frim Site, that's near me i tracked down with a good rep form reviews,i use them

and the party really starts, going out thro out the city all nite and all day for weeks, living the good life.

, and god only knows i be on my labtop looking at ever divindend  stock their is, even over seas ones

, their sites that major  in dividend listings,   debt vs net cash flow. current cash on hand, future grow % and all that good stuff with rankings of all dividend stocks,

then onto my trip around all 50 states,  as they get started on building my dream Home/reach while am away on travels,

i already got many designs of said home done in sims 1/2/3 games i played, i can't help but build rather Insane homes in said games.

anyway atfer that is Long term and not short term plans so i stop their

Old Eagle's avatar - bald13
                  Washington
                  United States
                  Member #51939
                  May 2, 2007
                  1377 Posts
                  Posted: February 21, 2011, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

C. would be my preferred action, except I am my own advisor.  Having managed (for major corporation, not my own) more than 100 times the cash amount that will be received, I feel that I can make informed decisions on what to to with the $$$$$.  Charities, family, travel around the world  (again), and a new boat. Wink

Having already gone through 3 planes, and having given up flying at my age, a nice 55' Fleming would fill the void.

I have it all laid out on a spreadsheet, ready for the win.

"To most people, the sky is the limit.  To those who love to fly, the sky is home"

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
                    Just outside of Cleveland, OH
                    United States
                    Member #54079
                    August 3, 2007
                    106 Posts
                    Posted: February 24, 2011, 8:46 am - IP Logged

GREAT idea

But noone looks at the toxic effect on friends/ family that have been excluded from realizing any money--just watched a show on HBO last weekend--"Lucky" dealing with so many people's reactions to the Lottery--winners and hopefuls--unfortunately was too ill to concentrate on it, but remember one of the Powerball winners saying "Being a lottery winner [of a jackpot] makes you a species unto yourselves."  Then it cut to their friends' home where the producers were interviewing the winners' best friends--and the friends admitted that they didn't like feeling that way, but they were jealous and resentful--friendship for young married couples is about sharing what I like to call "The Struggle"--raising a young family, getting your jobs and/or careers off the ground, paying the bills, achieving your life goals, dealing successfully with your troubles.   The winners had just bypassed all of that.  No more "stupid boss stories", no more "office intrigue observed" stories--the winners had just taken themselves out of all that and as a result, had NOTHING in common with their friends.  But they also weren't accepted by the area's wealthy as they had not owned a successful business, or attained success at a good paying career, they hadn't EARNED their wealth--a wrap up of all the stories a year later showerd that these winners finally moved from their home state and settled, I think, in FL (makes sense as they have more advantageous state tax laws), in a area with more wealth where they could blend in, but they were quick to point out that they didn't particularly share their stories with their new friends.

For that reason--out of a (now) 184M PB jackpot with an after tax lump sum amount of 61M (in our state), my man and I would only take 31M (ONLY--R U Kiddin?) with the remainder going to family members (the lions share going into trust for the grands, and 8% for each kid and one sib who IS a financial adviser and atty., 3% each to other sibs and nieces, and a 2% share to be shared by friends and cousins).  These are the people who knew us when, know what it's like to be us, and I never want to feel estranged from family, no matter how badly we treated one another in our foolish youth--if someone had done that for Bud Post--his family and some of his 10 kids would never have been estranged enough to plot to kill him--he died penniless--literally--the second saddest story I've ever heard about lottery winners--the saddest though, is Jack Whittaker whose only grandchild--a granddaughter-- died of an accidental drug overdose at 17 and whose body was then stuffed in a bag and placed under a porch so they could continue to party on the drugs that Jack's money had bought.  An offense against humanity.

Too bad my posts tend to be so long--few of you who COULD use the material and the ideas contained in this post, have the patience to read AND reflect before firing off some smart ass answer. 

Actually, with both of us having a progressive and potentially fatal disease (currently not acitve), makes you want to use money less hedonistically and more productively.  Makes you think more about your legacy and less about a 10,000 sq.ft. house that noone could afford to inherit and noone in this area could afford to buy.

FL
                      United States
                      Member #104946
                      January 22, 2011
                      105 Posts
                      Posted: February 24, 2011, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

I just want to not have to be tied down working until when?  used to be late 50's, then they want 62, they are already talking bout 65 or 67.  I just want more control of my time and be able to do a few more things that are pleasant rather than the monotony that exists.  And I don't need anywhere near 155 mill, just 1 mill could very well allow me to take back control and gain freedom.  If I get the unbelievably absurd amount of 10's and 100's of millions, hopefully I can make as many other people's lives a little easier as well.  Besides what's the point of getting a whole lot and then sitting there counting it by yourself anyway.

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                        Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #49980
                        February 21, 2007
                        34202 Posts
                        Posted: February 26, 2011, 1:38 am - IP Logged

Dream verses reality.  Well dr65, I feel as though I will hit the Big one one of these days with my dreams, I am working on it. What I would do if I won the Jack Pot, I would invest it, and then Share with my Family. Open a Bussieness.  Hire a Finiacal  Adviser Help a lot of People that is in need. Give to Charity. Travel all over the World.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

New York,
                          Panama
                          Member #73078
                          April 4, 2009
                          3490 Posts
                          Posted: February 26, 2011, 5:35 am - IP Logged

dr, I am torn between A. and  C.     

Ok, I'll go with C, but I will listen to their Advice and get some more advice Multiple advice at this point cant hurt!

then go with the ones that that have their basis in hard Facts! 

and then Happy Joy Dance my way to collect that mulla!!!!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

rukiafae's avatar - box
                            NC
                            United States
                            Member #100192
                            November 7, 2010
                            125 Posts
                            Posted: February 26, 2011, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

we know exactly what we would do with it.

A & B

does that anwer your question ;)

sully16's avatar - sharan
                              Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              40613 Posts
                              Posted: March 1, 2011, 9:48 am - IP Logged

A little beyond B or C, lay low and "go to the mattresses".

I plan on having a housekeeper, so under the mattress is out of the question, I'd have a fire proof panic room.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"