Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Three 2nd Prize winners on 1 ticket in NY for last MegaMillions drawing (2/22/11)?!

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Raven62.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
New York
United States
Member #106780
February 24, 2011
3 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2011, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

First thing, hi this is my first post, and I hope I'm posting this in the right sub-forum, and that this is worthy of a new thread, etc.

Anyway, there were three 2nd prize ($250,000) winners in NY in the last MegaMillions drawing (2/22/11). I checked the New York Lottery's information to see where these three winners were bought and was amazed to see that ALL THREE were bought in the same store. This makes me think that someone picked the numbers themselves and had 3 sets of winners on one ticket. Logical or no? If that's the case, has anyone heard anything about this? I have seen nothing about this anywhere. Isn't it amazing?

<snip> how lucky can some people be. I have tried to do something like this occasionally in the past, making the first five numbers of two lines identical to try to win $250,000 times 2. But THREE???  I know it's only been 2 days since the drawing, but is there any information about this out there?

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
    The Ville, FL
    United States
    Member #95879
    August 19, 2010
    1708 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2011, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

There are many people out there who play the same set of #'s multiple times so if they do hit the jackpot they get more shares of the actual jackpot. Since this was for MegaMillions, someone probably picked the same set of #'s multiple times - each with a different MegaBall to try and increase their chances at the big jackpot

New York
      United States
      Member #106780
      February 24, 2011
      3 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2011, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

Didn't realize playing same sets of #'s multiple times was so common. It does make sense I guess. Still I've never seen it successful before and I can't wait to see who won and hear his/her story.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19901 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2011, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

Not only are there players who play the same five numbers (core combination) with different bonus numbers in MegaMillions and PowerBall but there are those who do the same with other games that have a fixed amount for the first prize.  That is also popular with pick3 and pick4 players too, they been cases where pick4 players won over $50K playing that way.

Before its Rolling Cash5 game Ohio had the game Buckeye5 which paid a top prize of $100K up to 10 times before going pari-mutual.  Near the end of Buckeye5 there was a winner who played the same combination 20 times and had to split the cap of $1M with another winner and only got 20/21 of one million dollars instead of the two millions he expected.

Obvious that PB player felt it was easier picking the winning core combination than picking the the winning powerball, he must have a system that works.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Monkey Butt, USA
          United States
          Member #54569
          August 23, 2007
          1124 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2011, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

First thing, hi this is my first post, and I hope I'm posting this in the right sub-forum, and that this is worthy of a new thread, etc.

Anyway, there were three 2nd prize ($250,000) winners in NY in the last MegaMillions drawing (2/22/11). I checked the New York Lottery's information to see where these three winners were bought and was amazed to see that ALL THREE were bought in the same store. This makes me think that someone picked the numbers themselves and had 3 sets of winners on one ticket. Logical or no? If that's the case, has anyone heard anything about this? I have seen nothing about this anywhere. Isn't it amazing?

<snip> how lucky can some people be. I have tried to do something like this occasionally in the past, making the first five numbers of two lines identical to try to win $250,000 times 2. But THREE???  I know it's only been 2 days since the drawing, but is there any information about this out there?

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

I am inclined to believe that is what happened.

If so, then congratulations to the winner and WOW!!!

Hope they Mega Plied.

Ohio
            United States
            Member #106208
            February 14, 2011
            41 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2011, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

"QP indicates winner chose number via Quick Pick option"

I saw no QP, quite possible. Congrats to them. As well as the 1Mil Powerball winner from last night (NY).

JP Wins 2011: $3.00(1) Ten-OH, $7.00(1) PowerBall, $70.00(1)/$2.00(7) OH Classic;

Scratch Wins 2011: $25.00(1)/$20.00(3) 100K A Year for Life, $5.00(1)/$1.00(8)/$2.00(6)/ENTRY(3) Cash Explosion, $8.00(3)/$2.00(7) Double Doubler; 

"You Can't Win If You Don't Play" ** But don't expect to win just because you play.

Florida
              United States
              Member #102882
              December 27, 2010
              334 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2011, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

ThinkingThe guy(or gal) was just lucky, I could do the exact same thing and win $0.00

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10391 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2011, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Didn't realize playing same sets of #'s multiple times was so common. It does make sense I guess. Still I've never seen it successful before and I can't wait to see who won and hear his/her story.

My wife and I play with a long time friend. It took over a year to convince him that if we both play the same numbers and "something silly happened", i.e., they won, it would be much easier for each of us to cash our tickets separately.

I would strongly suggest this for anyone who plays with someone who has a large family or knows a lot of people.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                  The Ville, FL
                  United States
                  Member #95879
                  August 19, 2010
                  1708 Posts
                  Posted: February 24, 2011, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

I've seen the same type of thing happen here in FL. On more than one occasion I've seen fantasy 5 have multiple winners and 2-3 of them were at the same store. That leads me to believe it was the same person who won. That person would get double the share of the divided jackpot.

Florida
                    United States
                    Member #102882
                    December 27, 2010
                    334 Posts
                    Posted: February 24, 2011, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

My wife and I play with a long time friend. It took over a year to convince him that if we both play the same numbers and "something silly happened", i.e., they won, it would be much easier for each of us to cash our tickets separately.

I would strongly suggest this for anyone who plays with someone who has a large family or knows a lot of people.

Lightbulb Idea Yes. This is a great Idea.  In the last big Megamillions- the guy that won 1/2 in Washington State would've walked away with 2/3 of the jackpot instead of 1/2. He made a typo on his playslip which resulted in 1/2 instead of 2/3.

United States
                      Member #94616
                      July 24, 2010
                      4735 Posts
                      Posted: February 25, 2011, 4:58 am - IP Logged

Lightbulb Idea Yes. This is a great Idea.  In the last big Megamillions- the guy that won 1/2 in Washington State would've walked away with 2/3 of the jackpot instead of 1/2. He made a typo on his playslip which resulted in 1/2 instead of 2/3.

LUV typo's like that!!!!

New York
                        United States
                        Member #103600
                        January 4, 2011
                        4117 Posts
                        Posted: February 25, 2011, 5:16 am - IP Logged

Playing any game is a game of chance and is gambling. Having said that, there is a way to play each game to maximize winnings. This player foolishly did not chose the Megaplier option, which would have made each of three tickets worth $1mil. If you love a set of numbers so much that you play them multiple times, but not the 46 times to cover all possibilities in Mega, at least play the Megaplier (this was recently added to NY). There have been other instances where this occured in NY- I remember seeing on the NYLottery site last year that there were ten tickets sold for Mega or Powerball in Bay Ridge (memory is fuzzy on actual details). With respect to Pick 4, a check of the newly revamped NYLottery website will reveal that there are multiple $500,000 plus winners in this game- indicating $100 bets on straight numbers is common (also a lot of $250,000 winners, et al.). I recently had a winner on Pick 3- was playing comparatively heavy for several days with a box bet just to cover and multiple straight bets; the day it came in was the day I was about to give up on it but played it combo several times- it hit straight and the difference based upon my change in bet pattersn was from what would have been over a $10,000 win days before to a win of less than $1,000. I am not yet a smart better and am trying to learn to maximize my winnings if my numbers hit.

United States
                          Member #9579
                          December 12, 2004
                          2121 Posts
                          Posted: February 25, 2011, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

probably not quickpicks as i have quickpicks from 10 years ago that i always check and they haven't won at all ever,so they put them out and then don't let them hit.

remember the hardest thing for the lottery is screening out the 3 of 5 so nobody wins at all=more money for teachers,education and vets..

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6305 Posts
                            Posted: February 25, 2011, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

I need a typo.....LOL.....

Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #106208
                              February 14, 2011
                              41 Posts
                              Posted: February 25, 2011, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

I need a typo.....LOL.....

Definately Smile LOL

JP Wins 2011: $3.00(1) Ten-OH, $7.00(1) PowerBall, $70.00(1)/$2.00(7) OH Classic;

Scratch Wins 2011: $25.00(1)/$20.00(3) 100K A Year for Life, $5.00(1)/$1.00(8)/$2.00(6)/ENTRY(3) Cash Explosion, $8.00(3)/$2.00(7) Double Doubler; 

"You Can't Win If You Don't Play" ** But don't expect to win just because you play.