Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 7:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What motivates you to choose a scratcher?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10390 Posts
Posted: March 4, 2011, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

I agree with sully on the bright colors and ones that look like fun.

I'm with dallascowboys fan on new ones, I always hope when new ones come out that they'll be peppered with some winners more so than others but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Actually, there are only a few models of scratchers and everything else is variations on them......get three matching amounts, win that amount, match winning numbers (and the higher the ticket price the more winning numbers to match), bingo, crosswords, and get three like symbols. And also bonus boxes with symbols to match.

The crosswords seem to be in the news when someone wins big on a scratcher, but having to get three words for a break even prize is the pits.

At one of the places we play there is a young guy that buys $10 and $20 crossword scratchers and immediately asks the clerk to scan them, he doesn't go through the formality of scratching the ticket as even winning crosswords "make you work for it".

My wife is more the scratcher player. She says she has a "$5 jinx" and never wins on $5 tickets. I can't conviunce her it's bdetter to buy one opf those and take a few days to scratch it tham to grind it out with dollar tickets.

I have a theory that type A personalities go for the scratchers. They can't wait for the drawing and want the results NOW! I'm prety sure the lotteries are well aware of that.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
    Pittsburg, Ks
    United States
    Member #3382
    January 17, 2004
    83020 Posts
    Posted: March 6, 2011, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Aside from cost, I always have the most difficult time trying to decide what scratcher I want to play. It doesn't help that I feel rushed because of the people in line behind me either! So, are there any specific reasons why you choose the scratchers you do?

Is it the prizes offered, artwork/pictures, type of game, just random, or something else? What do you think could be done to make the process easier?

I usually ask the clerk for the newest tickets. Most of the time I lose on them. To day I asked the clerk at the Missouri State Line store to choose. I bought 2 $1 Sweet 7 tickets. Went back to the car gave my friend a ticket. He won $2. So I went back in got to more tickets of Sweet 7. We won again A free ticket. The free ticket won $4. We split the $4. He wante tickets I wanted the cash. As we were driving home I was wondering what would have been on those tickets I didn't buy

God Bless America

US Flag

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5751 Posts
      Posted: March 6, 2011, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

I agree with sully on the bright colors and ones that look like fun.

I'm with dallascowboys fan on new ones, I always hope when new ones come out that they'll be peppered with some winners more so than others but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Actually, there are only a few models of scratchers and everything else is variations on them......get three matching amounts, win that amount, match winning numbers (and the higher the ticket price the more winning numbers to match), bingo, crosswords, and get three like symbols. And also bonus boxes with symbols to match.

The crosswords seem to be in the news when someone wins big on a scratcher, but having to get three words for a break even prize is the pits.

At one of the places we play there is a young guy that buys $10 and $20 crossword scratchers and immediately asks the clerk to scan them, he doesn't go through the formality of scratching the ticket as even winning crosswords "make you work for it".

My wife is more the scratcher player. She says she has a "$5 jinx" and never wins on $5 tickets. I can't conviunce her it's bdetter to buy one opf those and take a few days to scratch it tham to grind it out with dollar tickets.

I have a theory that type A personalities go for the scratchers. They can't wait for the drawing and want the results NOW! I'm prety sure the lotteries are well aware of that.

When I bought scratchers I did the research to see which ones had top prizes left. Texas came out with a $10 tic called Texas Lottery Black which has a million dollar top prize. I bought 3 of those at various times and never won anything so I decided I had enough. I haven't had much luck at all with scratchers this year.

I actually like the online games better because I like the anticipation of the drawing.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)