Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Fixed text editor problem for IE6 and IE7

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23260 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2011, 11:31 am - IP Logged

I have fixed a bug with IE6 and IE7 that prevented the rich text editor from fully loading and allowing text input.  The problem started when I upgraded the text editor to the latest release this week.  It was essential to upgrade, because the old version would not work properly with newer browsers, like IE9.

The only solution to the IE6/IE7 bug was to disable the autosave feature in IE6 and IE7, so unfortunately people using those browsers will not be able to rescue content if they accidentally close their browser or navigate away from the editor page.

For every other Web browser, the autosave feature will continue working just fine.  (The autosave feature is the "life ring" icon located on the left side of the first row of buttons in the editor toolbar.)

Note:  IE6 and IE7 are no longer officially supported by Lottery Post, as Microsoft has made it clear that those browsers are not secure and do not provide a modern Web experience.  If you are still using IE6 or IE7, it is vital that you upgrade your Web browser.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2011, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

I just installed IE9, and now I can make posts in the forums as I'm doing with this post, but after i write this I will have to go back to Google Chrome because now I get a message saying that PC tools browser guard is NOT compatible with IE9. That's from my Registry mechanic cleaner. It's a real time protection against malicious programs. Also, I was hoping that with the upgrade to IE9, that stupid bug would go away, but it hasn't. And the only way to browse without that dumb pop-up window showing every 5 seconds is to disable the "Internet Protected Mode", which I don't like doing, so I'm going back to Google Chrome.....lol

Eventually i'll have to do a clean reinstall of Windows 7 to get rid of that bug, but for right now Google Chrome is a working alternative, as long as I stay away from IE...?

Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23260 Posts
      Posted: March 17, 2011, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

Just forget all those anti-malware programs and install the free Microsoft Security Essentials.  In fact, uninstall that stuff and then install Seucirty Essentials.  I have had ZERO problems with malware, and I've been using it since it came out a couple years ago.

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: March 17, 2011, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Just forget all those anti-malware programs and install the free Microsoft Security Essentials.  In fact, uninstall that stuff and then install Seucirty Essentials.  I have had ZERO problems with malware, and I've been using it since it came out a couple years ago.

The only anti-malware I have is MS essentials. It works great and occasionally warns me of a threat and immediately cleans it. The Registry Mecahnic only cleans the registry, and boy does it come in handy. It cleans registry changes that were made because of installations or uninstallations, and cleans many other invalid entries. Those two, MS essentials and Mechanic never fight with each other because they have seperate missions.

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23260 Posts
          Posted: March 17, 2011, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

Security Essentials already protects against malware in your registry.  You should not enable ANY automatic registray protection while also having Security Essentials enabled.

The only way to do registry cleaning while also havi9ng Security Essentials installed is to do a manual run of your registry cleaner.  But, to tell you the truth, I have found out the hard way that using a registry cleaner can create more problems than it solves.  They often delete important stuff.  Maybe that's why you're having problems with your PC.

calabs's avatar - bass fret.jpg

United States
            Member #27050
            November 26, 2005
            40272 Posts
            Posted: March 17, 2011, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

I have fixed a bug with IE6 and IE7 that prevented the rich text editor from fully loading and allowing text input.  The problem started when I upgraded the text editor to the latest release this week.  It was essential to upgrade, because the old version would not work properly with newer browsers, like IE9.

The only solution to the IE6/IE7 bug was to disable the autosave feature in IE6 and IE7, so unfortunately people using those browsers will not be able to rescue content if they accidentally close their browser or navigate away from the editor page.

For every other Web browser, the autosave feature will continue working just fine.  (The autosave feature is the "life ring" icon located on the left side of the first row of buttons in the editor toolbar.)

Note:  IE6 and IE7 are no longer officially supported by Lottery Post, as Microsoft has made it clear that those browsers are not secure and do not provide a modern Web experience.  If you are still using IE6 or IE7, it is vital that you upgrade your Web browser.

Brilliant!!!  Thanks Todd.  Work still has not upgraded from IE6 Crazy, so it's a blessing to be able to post again!  Thanks for the fix!

Lep

United States
              Member #75358
              June 1, 2009
              5345 Posts
              Posted: March 17, 2011, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

Security Essentials already protects against malware in your registry.  You should not enable ANY automatic registray protection while also having Security Essentials enabled.

The only way to do registry cleaning while also havi9ng Security Essentials installed is to do a manual run of your registry cleaner.  But, to tell you the truth, I have found out the hard way that using a registry cleaner can create more problems than it solves.  They often delete important stuff.  Maybe that's why you're having problems with your PC.

I'll take that into consideration. It's just hard to give up something that I've been using and paying for a years now. But you may be correct in that Mechanic is deleting important stuff.

I got that bug after i installed a trial version of a lotttery software. maybe it was a coincidence or may be not, I don't know. it's actually more annoying than anything else, but who knows what it's doing in IE, in the backround.

Below is what i get every 5 seconds if I enable "Internet Protected Mode" in IE.

snap

snap

So until i get a reinstall of Windows 7, I'll keep using Google Chrome.

United States
                Member #57732
                January 17, 2008
                41 Posts
                Posted: March 17, 2011, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

So Microsoft Security Essentials can replace the AVG Free Anti Virus I use?

I'm running Windows 7 on my home PC with AVG Virus Protection. Haven't upgraded to IE9 yet.

United States
                  Member #75358
                  June 1, 2009
                  5345 Posts
                  Posted: March 17, 2011, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

I'm running Windows 7 on my home PC with AVG Virus Protection. Haven't upgraded to IE9 yet.

Can't speak for Todd, but based on my experience, I've been told not just by Todd, but other computer tech guys that having two or more anti-virus cleaners can cause problems because they fight each other. One thinks the other is a potential threat.

Ever since Todd suggested to me that I should only have one anti-virus a while back, i decided to only keep MS Essentials, and it works great. I love the little pop-up window that appears at the bottom right of my screen whenever a threat attacks, and asks me to clean it right away.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    2657 Posts
                    Posted: March 17, 2011, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

personally am afraid to even try IE 9.x

running Vista home premium edition with IE 8 with bing bar .... so far no problems

Thanks again Todd for all your dilligence

thars no such thing as a virus spyware,malware proof compuker system ... and any one who tells ya other wise is hasn't gotten infected yet !!!

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23260 Posts
                      Posted: March 17, 2011, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

personally am afraid to even try IE 9.x

running Vista home premium edition with IE 8 with bing bar .... so far no problems

Thanks again Todd for all your dilligence

thars no such thing as a virus spyware,malware proof compuker system ... and any one who tells ya other wise is hasn't gotten infected yet !!!

Upgrade to IE9 - you'll love how much faster it is.  Plus, Lottery Post looks much better with IE9. Smile

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23260 Posts
                        Posted: March 17, 2011, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

I'll take that into consideration. It's just hard to give up something that I've been using and paying for a years now. But you may be correct in that Mechanic is deleting important stuff.

I got that bug after i installed a trial version of a lotttery software. maybe it was a coincidence or may be not, I don't know. it's actually more annoying than anything else, but who knows what it's doing in IE, in the backround.

Below is what i get every 5 seconds if I enable "Internet Protected Mode" in IE.

snap

snap

So until i get a reinstall of Windows 7, I'll keep using Google Chrome.

When you see the Flash one, check the box to never display the message again, and then click Allow.

For any toolbar popup, well, I have to admit that I detest extra toolbars, so my advice is to disable them completely.  If you want the toolbar, click the checkbox (if you trust it, and I assume you'd trust Yahoo), and then click Allow.

To disable any add-on, click Manage Add-ons in the Tools menu, and then you'll see all your add-ons.  If you've never looked at that before, you'll be surprised at how much crap gets in there.  Right-click on an add-on and click Disable to disable it.  Then it won't bother you anymore.

Flash is a GOOD add-on, always leave it enabled.  You can disable anything and everything, if you wish.  If you later realize you want to enable something, just go back in Manage Add-ons and re-enable it.

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23260 Posts
                          Posted: March 17, 2011, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

Yes, Security Essentials would replace AVG.  You would first uninstall AVG, and then go to the Microsoft site and install Security Essentials.

It works GREAT win Win 7.  And IE9 is highly recommended.

United States
                            Member #75358
                            June 1, 2009
                            5345 Posts
                            Posted: March 17, 2011, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

When you see the Flash one, check the box to never display the message again, and then click Allow.

For any toolbar popup, well, I have to admit that I detest extra toolbars, so my advice is to disable them completely.  If you want the toolbar, click the checkbox (if you trust it, and I assume you'd trust Yahoo), and then click Allow.

To disable any add-on, click Manage Add-ons in the Tools menu, and then you'll see all your add-ons.  If you've never looked at that before, you'll be surprised at how much crap gets in there.  Right-click on an add-on and click Disable to disable it.  Then it won't bother you anymore.

Flash is a GOOD add-on, always leave it enabled.  You can disable anything and everything, if you wish.  If you later realize you want to enable something, just go back in Manage Add-ons and re-enable it.

I did all that. The problem with checking the box is that it doesn't work, it still pops up, that's why I say there's a bug in there. Other folks on the net with the same problem keep checking the box and still nothing.

As far as add-ons, i did that too for the flash, but then I'd have to turn it back on to watch videos, only to put up with the annoying popup again. So that's why I just got frustrated and got Google Chrome. First I used Mozzila, but the bug go to that too. Hopefully it'll stay away from Google Chrome...lol

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                              Member #52345
                              May 21, 2007
                              2657 Posts
                              Posted: March 17, 2011, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

well contrary to pop opinion ..... as I said no combination of browzers nore toolbar is safe from given hazzards

sounds to me like U need to wipe yer system clean and start over after U've backed up yer important files and such and try not to bogg down yer system with un needed addons

also if you do decide to wipe yer system ..... U might stick to the basics and make sure yer security setting are set properly not to mention high enough

you'll aways get the occasional pop ups and or pop unders such is life on the www @ large

just stay away from all things google and U should be safe

just my .02 anyway