Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Fixed text editor problem for IE6 and IE7

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Todd.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ThreeFish$'s avatar - dragon eye.jpg
Brooklet, GA
United States
Member #105331
January 29, 2011
17678 Posts
Posted: March 18, 2011, 12:41 am - IP Logged

I have fixed a bug with IE6 and IE7 that prevented the rich text editor from fully loading and allowing text input.  The problem started when I upgraded the text editor to the latest release this week.  It was essential to upgrade, because the old version would not work properly with newer browsers, like IE9.

The only solution to the IE6/IE7 bug was to disable the autosave feature in IE6 and IE7, so unfortunately people using those browsers will not be able to rescue content if they accidentally close their browser or navigate away from the editor page.

For every other Web browser, the autosave feature will continue working just fine.  (The autosave feature is the "life ring" icon located on the left side of the first row of buttons in the editor toolbar.)

Note:  IE6 and IE7 are no longer officially supported by Lottery Post, as Microsoft has made it clear that those browsers are not secure and do not provide a modern Web experience.  If you are still using IE6 or IE7, it is vital that you upgrade your Web browser.

Thanks Todd I thought I was going to have to go to town to post anything, and still might if I can't upgrade my old computer. This Compaq Presario 2003 might not be able to be upgraded?  Do you know? But I really appreciate you fixing it. I will try to upgrade to a newer desktop.

A LITTLE OLE GEORGIA PEACH SAID THAT!!!LOL GO GET UM GAWink

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23352 Posts
    Posted: March 18, 2011, 7:46 am - IP Logged

Thanks Todd I thought I was going to have to go to town to post anything, and still might if I can't upgrade my old computer. This Compaq Presario 2003 might not be able to be upgraded?  Do you know? But I really appreciate you fixing it. I will try to upgrade to a newer desktop.

I'm not familiar with that model.  If you're just upgrading your web browser, then yes, it can be upgraded.  If you're using Windows XP, you can upgrade to IE8 (IE9 can only work on Vista and Windows 7), and Google Chrome is also a great option.  If you're talking about upgrading to Windows 7, then it largely depends on the CPU and memory in your laptop.

If something happens in the future where the text editor is not working, you can always switch to the "Simple Codes" editor by -unchecking the "Rich Text Editor" box in the Board Settings page (in the Options menu).

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      42221 Posts
      Posted: March 18, 2011, 8:00 am - IP Logged

Thanks Todd, Learning more everyday about computors.

HyperBe Happy.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
        Harbinger
        D.C./MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        5587 Posts
        Posted: March 18, 2011, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

Security Essentials already protects against malware in your registry.  You should not enable ANY automatic registray protection while also having Security Essentials enabled.

The only way to do registry cleaning while also havi9ng Security Essentials installed is to do a manual run of your registry cleaner.  But, to tell you the truth, I have found out the hard way that using a registry cleaner can create more problems than it solves.  They often delete important stuff.  Maybe that's why you're having problems with your PC.

True that!  Getting MSE upon Todd's suggestion awhile back when it first came out was some of the best advice I've ever gotten, small footprint and highly effective,  THEY wrote the code it protects.  Registry cleaners cause way more problemos than they are worth.  I've seen em ruin machines.

Microsoft also has enterprise server level virus malware etc. protection but it ain't free.

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23352 Posts
          Posted: March 18, 2011, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

True that!  Getting MSE upon Todd's suggestion awhile back when it first came out was some of the best advice I've ever gotten, small footprint and highly effective,  THEY wrote the code it protects.  Registry cleaners cause way more problemos than they are worth.  I've seen em ruin machines.

Microsoft also has enterprise server level virus malware etc. protection but it ain't free.

I use the enterprise-level stuff on my servers (called Forefront Endpoint Protection), and it uses the same engine as the free Security Essentials software.  The difference is the ability to control a bunch of servers across a domain, as opposed to the free stuff which can only be managed on each individual PC.

But the fact that Security Essentials is the same exact malware protection as the enterprise software ensures that you have great protection on the PC, and it does not steal a lot of CPU cycles.

Similar to how Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 share the same code base underneath.

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23352 Posts
            Posted: March 19, 2011, 1:55 am - IP Logged

Just wanted to pass along some good news to those who are still stuck on IE6 or IE7:  I was able to track down and fix the problem with the autosave not working, so now you have the full autosave functionality restored, just like it was before.