Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

False virus alerts for Avast users

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 6 years ago by inittowin.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23260 Posts
Posted: March 21, 2011, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

A Lottery Post member who had virus warnings today let me know that Avast (their virus protection) installed an update that the company admits is producing "false positives" on many Web sites.  (Apparently including Lottery Post.)

A false positive is when the software incorrectly identifies good code as a virus.

They are putting out an update soon to correct the problem.

In the meantime, if you use Avast on your computer, please ignore any warning messages you get on Lottery Post.

Also, if you would consider changing virus protection programs, I highly recommend installing Microsoft Security Essentials.  (This advice is for users of any virus software.)

Security Essentials has an excellent reputation for accuracy, does not slow your PC down, and keeps quiet unless there is a problem.

If you want to try it, first uninstall your current anti-virus software (including firewall software), and then run the installer from Microsoft's Web site:  http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

Security Essentials works together with the firewall that is built into Windows, and provides great protection.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

pcurtis's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
    fayetteville tn
    United States
    Member #68983
    January 3, 2009
    1829 Posts
    Posted: March 21, 2011, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

A Lottery Post member who had virus warnings today let me know that Avast (their virus protection) installed an update that the company admits is producing "false positives" on many Web sites.  (Apparently including Lottery Post.)

A false positive is when the software incorrectly identifies good code as a virus.

In the meantime, if you use Avast on your computer, please ignore any warning messages you get on Lottery Post.

Also, if you would consider changing virus protection programs, I highly recommend installing Microsoft Security Essentials.  (This advice is for users of any virus software.)

Security Essentials has an excellent reputation for accuracy, does not slow your PC down, and keeps quiet unless there is a problem.

If you want to try it, first uninstall your current anti-virus software (including firewall software), and then run the installer from Microsoft's Web site:  http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

Security Essentials works together with the firewall that is built into Windows, and provides great protection.

Good advice Todd. I have microsoft security esseniials installed on my computer and it does a great job of keeping the pop ups away. I had gamevance embedded in my computer and it got rid of it

norton didn't even come close to getting rid of it. The best part about it is it's free.

Ohio
      United States
      Member #65279
      September 22, 2008
      5130 Posts
      Posted: March 21, 2011, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd...

You are soooo multi-dimensional...

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
        Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: March 21, 2011, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

thanks todd,  i just got one here and at another site also.i knew normally that other site was alright.just now i read your message and boom avast popped up a warning.

think i need to ditch avast altogether or give them a chance to correct the issue?

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23260 Posts
          Posted: March 21, 2011, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd...

You are soooo multi-dimensional...

Stretch

KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
            Member #73037
            April 3, 2009
            147 Posts
            Posted: March 22, 2011, 7:55 am - IP Logged

Morning Todd,

Great advice I learned the hard way some time ago. Had a real nasty that Avast did not find and crashed the system. My computer guy cleaned it out then loaded Essentials because he told me that his large customers software requires it. (He works on hospital computers).

About 2 weeks ago, Essentials did miss 1 that got around it and removed the Essentials exceute file from my system. My guy had never seen this criter before and contacted Microsoft. He had the fix for this critter the same day. I never thought to highly of Microsoft products until this program.

This virus program (Microsoft Security Essentials) beats anything else I've ever tried before, not to mention that the local hospital software requires it to be loaded onto their machines.

If anyone hasn't tried this program, nows the time...

Thank you Todd for letting everyone know that it really works.

The only DUMB question is the one question you DID NOT ask...

inittowin's avatar - 039ee315cfea4c12c8f5
              If you don't like it, spit it out!
              United States
              Member #4756
              May 23, 2004
              3433 Posts
              Posted: March 22, 2011, 8:44 am - IP Logged

This thread really has me wondering about virus protection and MS Essentials.

Since the beginning of the Microsoft operating systems, of any sorts, we have always been in need of an antivirus protection. We have also needed other apps to clean and straighten out registry problems, to fix the "blue screen of death" and the lists go on and on.

Microsoft has always been 10 steps behind in being able to prevent anything happening to thier OS. I find it hard to beleive that MS is now a "leader" in being able to stop virus threats of any kind, unless the Essentials program is actually from a contracted company that makes it for them.

I will stay with what I know is to be one of the best anti virus protections out there, Trend Micro. I have never had one problem within the 8 years of using them.

CTNY's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                New Haven, CT - Queens, NY
                United States
                Member #98740
                October 13, 2010
                5432 Posts
                Posted: March 22, 2011, 9:32 am - IP Logged

Ooops that memeber beat me to it..It popped up like every 2 seconds

Yelling "MALWARE VIRUS MALWARE MALWARE!!!"

It forced me to log off and take a break Oogle

Couldn't listen to my music and surf LPost in peace Skeptical

Avast like to over do things a bit.

Mine stopped by itself!!

Thanks Todd

The goal is to approach the Pick 3 & Pick 4 game sensibly and systematically!! Wink

I'm not like the guy who predicted the end of the world and nothing happened.

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23260 Posts
                  Posted: March 22, 2011, 9:40 am - IP Logged

This thread really has me wondering about virus protection and MS Essentials.

Since the beginning of the Microsoft operating systems, of any sorts, we have always been in need of an antivirus protection. We have also needed other apps to clean and straighten out registry problems, to fix the "blue screen of death" and the lists go on and on.

Microsoft has always been 10 steps behind in being able to prevent anything happening to thier OS. I find it hard to beleive that MS is now a "leader" in being able to stop virus threats of any kind, unless the Essentials program is actually from a contracted company that makes it for them.

I will stay with what I know is to be one of the best anti virus protections out there, Trend Micro. I have never had one problem within the 8 years of using them.

It may seem to you that Microsoft is 10 steps behind and that they suddenly came from nowhere to become a "leader", but the fact is that their antivirus software has been around and working well for years.

Security Essentials is the combination of two efforts within the company that came together:  OneCare (consumer protection) and ForeFront (enterprise/corporate protection).

OneCare was ridiculed by many people, but it turned out to be among the elite in terms of accuracy of its scanning engine.  By elite, I mean that under testing of the industry standard virus-testing organization (can't remember the name) it was in the top-5 worldwide.

Turns out that much of the ridicule was ginned up by the big-name "security software" companies who did not like that Microsoft was putting out a cheap product that was better than their scanners, and did not have the effect of slowing down peoples' PCs the way their overly-bulky software did.

Most people haven't heard of ForeFront because it is aimed at companies to protect their various servers from threats.  (I have used it on my servers for years.)

The end result of the combination of products was Security Essentials for consumers and ForeFront for companies, but they are the same exact scanning engine underneath.  In fact, the interfaces are pratically identical on them.  So when you install Security Essentials, you are using the same exact software and virus definitions that companies around the world are using to protect their critical servers.

The only real difference between the packages is that ForeFront can be monitored and controlled within a corporate domain centrally, whereas Security Essentials is a stand-alone product. 

The fact that Microsoft put it out there as a free product is the right thing to do, but it really is amazing if you think about it.

OF COURSE Microsoft needs anti-virus protection.  If Apple ran 90% of the world's computers and Microsoft had a mere 5% share, don't you think the shoe would be on the other foot?  Apple would be targeted by everyone and suffering these same issues, and Microsoft would be sitting back not doing much -- like Apple is today.  It's hard to be the leader in this case, and it's great to see that Microsoft has stepped up with excellent software.

It may sound like I'm being a salesman for Microsoft, but my passionate descriptions of this software are simply from my own life experience.  For several years I went from software package to software package looking for virus protection that would give me good protection, not slow my PC down, not annoy me with constant reminders and "alerts" about ridiculous "evil cookies", and constantly try to scare me into upgrading every year to their next release.

I tried everything out there, and I mean everything.  I came close a few times to finding something I liked, but then I found it did not work for one reason or another.  It didn't matter if it was free or paid software, they all disappointed me.

Then I tried Microsoft OneCare, and that was the closest thing to my ideal anti-virus that I came across.  It was not free software at the time -- I think it cost around $50 after a free trial.  I did the free trial and was so happy with it that I purchased it, and then installed on my various PCs.  It made me a little nervous because of the snarky comments from people on the Internet about it, but then I started seeing the test results coming out showing that it was among the best in the world at finding viruses.

When OneCare eventually become Security Essentials -- and became free -- it made a good thing even better and simpler.

If you're using Trend Micro and it works for you, then great!  Everyone has their own list of ideal qualities for virus protection, so use whatever works for you.

I recommend Security Essentials because I know that so many people struggle with protecting their PCs from online threats, and the security software business is vulture-like in its drive to scare people and extract their money for bloated junk that makes them wrongly feel that cookies are as bad as viruses and they have to keep paying every year for basic protection.  And many times those software packages have terrible detection rates!

As a web site owner, every day I have to cope with people asking me "why can't I log in", and it turns out that their "security" software is blocking their browser's ability to store the login cookie.  Why does it block the cookie?  Because paid "security" software has to act like it is constantly doing something critically important , or else why would you bother paying for it every year?

That is angering to me, and it is a sign of very bad software practices.  Security software should stay in the background at all times, silently doing its thing, and only make its presence known when something bad happens.  It should not interfere with browsing the web, aside from protecting against true threats.  It should be a small, efficient software package that does not consume more than a minimum amount of memory and processing power.

So that's why I recommend Security Essentials.

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
                    Member #93164
                    June 23, 2010
                    1316 Posts
                    Posted: March 22, 2011, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

Todd, thanks for letting me know about the virus warnings. I didn't know why there are virus warnings.

ducksafloat's avatar - animal duck.jpg
                      Wentzville, Missouri
                      United States
                      Member #2243
                      September 4, 2003
                      8489 Posts
                      Posted: March 22, 2011, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

hey now,

um a user, a duck and a memba who followed Todd's advice! 

i believe my whole community lives in my house, i know when i wake up they here, and when i go to bed they still here, anyway they luv being on line and up/downloadin' a bunch a junk, but with my windows 7 and Security Essentials, bells go off and they have to come get me, and then i DECIDE on the damage that it about to be done. 

in short, i had a bunch of issues in the PAST, so here's Thumbs UpThumbs UpSecurity EssentialsThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

Rubber DuckMade 2-B Pro$perou$ & Powerful!
                      Ya' Gotta Love Thi$ Place! wMim

konane's avatar - wallace
                        Atlanta, GA
                        United States
                        Member #1265
                        March 13, 2003
                        3333 Posts
                        Posted: March 22, 2011, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Because of your comments about Microsoft anti-virus I ditched my virus software I'd been paying for about 8 years and installed Security Essentials a few days ago.  Seems to work very well, am very pleased with increased speed ..... and it auto-updates.

Good luck to everyone!

NASHVILLE, TENN
                          United States
                          Member #33372
                          February 20, 2006
                          1044 Posts
                          Posted: March 23, 2011, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Will this Security Essentials work with FIREFOX 4?

Winlotta's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                            Member #60014
                            April 3, 2008
                            735 Posts
                            Posted: March 23, 2011, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Because of your comments about Microsoft anti-virus I ditched my virus software I'd been paying for about 8 years and installed Security Essentials a few days ago.  Seems to work very well, am very pleased with increased speed ..... and it auto-updates.

I Agree! Security Essentials - excellent product, and you can't beat the price !

Patriot

`|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|`

rocky mount, nc
                              United States
                              Member #73422
                              April 14, 2009
                              112 Posts
                              Posted: March 23, 2011, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

Yeah becasue I stop coming up here because of that I thought there was an virus.... Thanks for the update