Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lucky Stores?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you believe in Lucky Stores?

Yes [ 22 ]  [46.81%]
No [ 25 ]  [53.19%]
Total Valid Votes [ 47 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2011, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

OK, so I'm watching the morning news, and like they do everytime the Mega Millions jackpot gets huge (>$300,000,000) they send a TV crew down to some Lucky Store to do stories of how people come from miles around to stand in line and buy a ticket there.

Some self-claimed Lucky Stores like to post their multitudes of winning tickets and jackpots to feed the frenzy. I say they have more wins because they have more sales! In fact, I might avoid that store, if not only because of the long lines. That would be especially so for Scratch tickets, which have a fair distribution of top prize winners aspect to them. But for regular draw/jackpot games, the store really shouldn't matter.

I personally don't believe in Lucky Stores, nor would I drive halfway across town just to buy a ticket at one of them. There are plenty of other ways to glean luck or insight in choosing numbers and purchasing tickets. I mainly just buy at my local stores, but apparently some people do believe in them, so I'm curious to know how much.

Do you believe in Lucky Stores?

Mass
    United States
    Member #68073
    December 12, 2008
    217 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2011, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

No! The newsy "Lucky Store" as you noted are usually the most popular and well-located places that sell more tix, thus getting more winners. That being said, I do have prefered stores that I have won more in than others- but is that simply because I frequent them? I prefer, especially when traveling, small Mom & Pop stores and out-of-the-way stores. Was there not a significant JP won recently that came out of an Asian Food Mart or a smoke shop or something like that?

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
      Denver, Co
      United States
      Member #103046
      December 29, 2010
      546 Posts
      Posted: March 25, 2011, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

I don't believe in 'lucky stores'. Like Spincognito, I do believe in high volume stores that may have more ticket sales and therefore perhaps more winners, but I don't think there is one place that is any luckier than another.

Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        7713 Posts
        Posted: March 25, 2011, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

More Tickets Sold = More Winners,period. The only "lucky" thing is a busy store owner who can reap the commision on winning tickets.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
          Member #47420
          November 4, 2006
          3930 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2011, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

Any store in Tennesse is lucky..Just to scared to go in Tennesse..Lot's of bad people there who will rob you...

Pure luck

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: March 25, 2011, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Any store in Tennesse is lucky..Just to scared to go in Tennesse..Lot's of bad people there who will rob you...

If you'd cut off yer mullet and back off the hair jelly a little bit, lose the plaid bellbottom pants and take a bath nobody would even know yer from Kentucky.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10392 Posts
              Posted: March 25, 2011, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

And then there's the "Miracle Mile" in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.

Have you heard about the "Miracle Mile"? The Miracle Mile is a small stretch on Main Street in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA that sells a disproportionate amount of winning lotto tickets. The luckiest store on Main Street in Fond du Lac is Ma & Pa's Convenience store. That store is the luckiest store in the country; it has sold more winning tickets than any other store, with the biggest being a $208.6 million Powerball win that was won by a group of employees at Sargento cheese plant in August of 2006.

http://lotterywinnerbios.blogspot.com/2010/03/latest-miracle-mile-lottery-winner-ma.html

Just do a search for Fond du Lac and lottery and see what you find.

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: March 26, 2011, 11:19 am - IP Logged

If you'd cut off yer mullet and back off the hair jelly a little bit, lose the plaid bellbottom pants and take a bath nobody would even know yer from Kentucky.

What's a bath?..

Pure luck

DFW, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #78628
                  August 18, 2009
                  134 Posts
                  Posted: March 26, 2011, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

There are "lucky stores" in the sense that some stores sell winning tickets.  Usually there's bonus money for selling a big winner, in addition to the attention.

But I don't think that's any different than saying there are "lucky people," who would be the people who buy the winning tickets and win.

There are fewer stores than people, and some stores sell a lot of tickets, so there may be a tendency for luck to accumulate in some stores.  This is the same as saying luck accumulates in New York.  A lot of New Yorkers win because a lot of New Yorkers play.

I could say I believe in lucky stores, because some stores are more likely to sell a lot of big winners.  But your odds of winning do not change based on where you buy tickets.  I like to buy tickets at a particular store, not because I think it makes it more likely that I'll win, but because if I win I want that store to get the attention and bonus money.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                    Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    42204 Posts
                    Posted: March 26, 2011, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

With the price of gasoline, the closest is going to have to be the luckiest.

HyperBe Happy.

Arizona
                      United States
                      Member #108265
                      March 23, 2011
                      3 Posts
                      Posted: March 26, 2011, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Location, location, location!!!!  That's what I say.  You have to be in the right place at the right time around the right people.  You also have to be in a lucky state of mind.  You have to do some 'believin' too ta win. 

Almost everytime I've ever one something I knew Bananait would happen.  Like take tonight for example.  I'm on my way to play the lottery and I KNOW I'm going to win tonight.  I'll proove it by showing you the ticket tomorrow.  Watch!  and I'm going to the luckiest store in town to play!  A winning combination.

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                        North Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #64582
                        September 1, 2008
                        347 Posts
                        Posted: March 26, 2011, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

You know, I DO believe in lucky stores. Why? 1. the Miracle Mile - the odds are totally against it!  2. My own experiences (and watching others too).... I buy scratch-offs occasionally. I have repeatedly only won from one store. One store. Ever. And no, it's not a big "seller" - it's a freakin' Kroger grocery store!

Unfortunately, I haven't won more than $14 in lottery tickets, so I can't go into that...except that I heard someone won $200,000 from that Kroger. But that's just a rumor.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: March 27, 2011, 12:15 am - IP Logged

You know, I DO believe in lucky stores. Why? 1. the Miracle Mile - the odds are totally against it!  2. My own experiences (and watching others too).... I buy scratch-offs occasionally. I have repeatedly only won from one store. One store. Ever. And no, it's not a big "seller" - it's a freakin' Kroger grocery store!

Unfortunately, I haven't won more than $14 in lottery tickets, so I can't go into that...except that I heard someone won $200,000 from that Kroger. But that's just a rumor.

I have heard that in Florida, Publix Stores sell a lot of big winners and I have to admit I always go there for some when I'm down there.

I haven't gotten a big winner there yet but I did get a really good pie there a couple of times.

So that was nice.

You can't get a decent pie around me.

They give hillbillies all the crap.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Long Island, NY
                            United States
                            Member #57412
                            January 3, 2008
                            419 Posts
                            Posted: March 27, 2011, 5:13 am - IP Logged

I've mentioned that high volume stores produce alot of wins.  It's true in my area.

But I see winners also come from the dingiest, crappiest little run down liquor, conveinence, gas stations, shacks as well.

I buy quick picks in both type of places.

United States
                              Member #75358
                              June 1, 2009
                              5345 Posts
                              Posted: March 28, 2011, 1:23 am - IP Logged

I believe all the stores I walk into are lucky.....

I walk into a store. They take my money and give me a bunch of square pieces of paper with some scribblings on them which become worthless at the end of the night.

They should at least give me a cut for bringing them business.....