Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Worker skips office Mega pool, loses share of $319M

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 6 years ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
management's avatar - 66f4nm
CT
United States
Member #102318
December 18, 2010
41 Posts
Posted: March 30, 2011, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

By PERRY CHIARAMONTE in Albany and BOB FREDERICKS in New York

Last Updated: 12:32 PM, March 30, 2011

Posted: 2:02 AM, March 30, 2011

He didn't think Lady Luck was on his side -- and now he's out millions.

A hapless state information-technology worker who usually joined his office lottery pool took a pass last week -- only to learn that seven positive-thinking pals nailed a whopping $319 million Mega Millions jackpot, said a deli owner who knows the winners.

"The word is that when they were going around the office asking who wanted in on the pool, one guy said no, that he wasn't feeling lucky," said Jill Cook, who with husband Tom owns Cook's Deli in Albany, where the winners are lunchtime regulars.

"They asked him twice. They said, 'Are you sure?' and he said yeah, he was going to pass this time. I feel horrible for him," Jill said.

The number of players in the pool varied from week to week, she said, and the identity of the mystery loser -- who could have won a $16 million after-tax share under the lottery's lump-sum option -- was as elusive as those of the big winners, who sources say worked in IT for the state Homes and Community Renewal agency.

Cook said the geek squad came in for lunch daily -- but haven't been seen since beating the one-in-176-million odds in Friday's drawing. Customers who know the winners told her they weren't planning to return to their jobs -- except to pass along unfinished business to colleagues.

Jim Plastiras, an agency spokesman, confirmed the workers did not come to work Monday but he couldn't say if they showed up yesterday. They had not formally resigned their positions, he added.

The winning workers remained out of the public eye yesterday, but one surfaced long enough to stake a claim to the prize, state lottery officials said yesterday.

"The ticket has been claimed, and once we verify it we'll choose a date, place and time for a check presentation," lottery spokeswoman Carolyn Hapeman said. The claimant, whom she would not identify by name or gender, arranged to come to lottery headquarters Monday night after hours, Hapeman said.

Lottery officials said that once they verify the ticket and how many pool members are claiming a slice of the pie, a news conference will be scheduled, probably this week.

Most likely, Hapeman said, the winners are spending time huddling with legal and financial wizards to plan how to handle the bundles of cash headed their way.

"Ninety-nine percent of the people coming in winners do it that way these days, and $319 million is an unimaginable amount of money," Hapeman said.

"Most want a plan before the money enters their hands."

Meanwhile, at Coulson's News Center, where the winning ticket was sold, owner Steve Hutchins got a standard $10,000 bonus for selling the winning number combination: 22, 24, 31, 52 and 54, with 4 as the Mega Ball. "It's pretty amazing," he said.

Litebets27's avatar - power
    Maryland
    United States
    Member #10465
    January 14, 2005
    6065 Posts
    Posted: March 30, 2011, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Oh no...I smell a law suit.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #77815
      August 1, 2009
      3459 Posts
      Posted: March 30, 2011, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

This is why me lottery pool has 1 player. Me!

Guess Who's Back?

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: March 30, 2011, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Under normal circumstances i would say that If the same folks played the pool every week, then I would hope the other 7 would chip in and throw this guy a bone, not millions but at a couple hundred thousand, but according to the article, since the pool participants varied from week to week, and that he USUALLY played, and not all the time, would indictate that nothing is owed to him. If that was the case, then the 7 folks would have to help out all the other part time players in that company as well. You know that once they pay this guy, they're setting a precedence.

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
          Member #81314
          October 16, 2009
          18966 Posts
          Posted: March 30, 2011, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

S P E E C H L E S S! ! ! ! ! !

The Struggle is real!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: March 30, 2011, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

Under normal circumstances i would say that If the same folks played the pool every week, then I would hope the other 7 would chip in and throw this guy a bone, not millions but at a couple hundred thousand, but according to the article, since the pool participants varied from week to week, and that he USUALLY played, and not all the time, would indictate that nothing is owed to him. If that was the case, then the 7 folks would have to help out all the other part time players in that company as well. You know that once they pay this guy, they're setting a precedence.

Why shouldn't they respect his wishes not to be in the pool and not share its winning?  Do you think if he had played on his own and won all that money, he would have thrown all his former pool members a bone?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3300 Posts
              Posted: March 30, 2011, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

well he was right he wasnt feeling lucky, and he lucked right on out of a 1/8th share

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                Member #75358
                June 1, 2009
                5345 Posts
                Posted: March 30, 2011, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

Why shouldn't they respect his wishes not to be in the pool and not share its winning?  Do you think if he had played on his own and won all that money, he would have thrown all his former pool members a bone?

I never said they shouldn't respect his wishes for not participating in the pool.

mayhem's avatar - 142g5yd
                  Fort Worth, TX
                  United States
                  Member #106060
                  February 11, 2011
                  188 Posts
                  Posted: March 30, 2011, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

I bet he gets some money.

How you do anything is how you do everything.

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
                    Norfolk , Va
                    United States
                    Member #4541
                    May 2, 2004
                    25088 Posts
                    Posted: March 30, 2011, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

I may be wrong here but the way I see it , if he wanted to share the wealth , he would have bought into it unless a prior arrangement was made to buy the ticket for that draw if he wasn't available when the collection from who was in was made.

Don't you just hate it when people win and say they never but a ticket until the jackpot is over 200 mil .  I usually buy a ticket or two no matter what the prize is . I also play in a pool of 25 people every draw . the only thing is, they choose to play the higher one between Mega and Powerball .

If the guy  wanted to split the winnings , he should have put his money in for the tickets.

Just my thoughts !!

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                      Clarksville
                      United States
                      Member #487
                      July 15, 2002
                      17638 Posts
                      Posted: March 30, 2011, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

The player who passed up the opportunity to play said "I am not feeling lucky."  He was right.  He wasn't.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

island lady's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                        Houston, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #70608
                        February 6, 2009
                        223 Posts
                        Posted: March 30, 2011, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Wow.....he had a million to gain and just a few buks to loose and he decided not to be a winner.....

**************LOTTERY COMMISSION SAID IT U GOTTA BE IN IT TO WIN IT*********

*************ALWAYS FEEL A WINNER EVERYDAY***************

Sun Smiley

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                          Member #52345
                          May 21, 2007
                          2657 Posts
                          Posted: March 30, 2011, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Green laughfurther proof of when in doubt ....... play anyway !!!!! Green laugh

I wish this putz many pleasent screams and dreamsGreen laugh

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: March 30, 2011, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

Wow.....he had a million to gain and just a few buks to loose and he decided not to be a winner.....

**************LOTTERY COMMISSION SAID IT U GOTTA BE IN IT TO WIN IT*********

*************ALWAYS FEEL A WINNER EVERYDAY***************

Sun Smiley

"*************ALWAYS FEEL A WINNER EVERYDAY*************** "

I like that idea.

As long as they're female.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                              Member #47420
                              November 4, 2006
                              3930 Posts
                              Posted: March 30, 2011, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

Green laughfurther proof of when in doubt ....... play anyway !!!!! Green laugh

I wish this putz many pleasent screams and dreamsGreen laugh

"Putz"...hahahaha..Reminds tiggs he should PM ridge soon..hahahaha...

Pure luck