Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Worker skips office Mega pool, loses share of $319M

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 6 years ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
ttech10's avatar - blobdude
Texas
United States
Member #92330
June 5, 2010
887 Posts
Posted: March 30, 2011, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

But then if someone held him up at the elevator or the bus was late then they should get a handout to..Maybe the woman in front of him in line buying tickets took to long and that may have helped should she get a handout to..He should have gave a couple bucks and that would have solved everything..

I'm not saying anyone should get a hand out. But yes, I believe even how long the person in front of you takes has an affect on things. I'm just saying that multiple things happened for them to get the winning numbers and his opting out was a part of that, just as I'm sure many other things were.

I've even seen the same thoughts posted here by others about the whole "clerk pushed the button at the right time" sort of thing, I'm not a believer in giving a clerk some money just because they pushed the button that gave you the winning numbers, but they are responsible for you getting those numbers.

I actually don't believe anyone but yourself, unless you're apart of a pool, should get winnings even though there are many people that decided what time you get to the store. On my daily drive there are plenty of other vehicles that alter the time I will get my tickets and also people inside of the store that determine when the cashier pushes the button for my tickets. In a way I think all of those people would be responsible for me winning, but I wouldn't give them money because of that.

Texas
    United States
    Member #92330
    June 5, 2010
    887 Posts
    Posted: March 30, 2011, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

Hahahahaha! This is great! I thought I'd be the first person to mention the butterfly effect. lol Big Grin

Seriously though, the butterfly effect is very real. To say this guy lost out on millions technically would not be correct. It's really an afterthought. We see the numbers, we see what happened to this guy, and we can only think to ourselves "what if". Those numbers were drawn because that's what the physical universe happened to be at that moment. Rewind everything and change the story to him saying "Sure" and pulling a dollar out of his wallet. Play it forward from there and the positioning and timing of everything that happens after that changes. This guy doesn't have anything to be ashamed of.

Thanks, nice to see I'm not the only one with this idea/view.

This group won because certain things happened a certain way, his opting out was one of those things.

I've gotten into a fender bender before because as I was going to my car I accidentally dropped my keys. Those few seconds that passed led to other things along my drive that put me in that location. Had I not dropped my keys I would have been in a different place due to maybe hitting a green/yellow light instead of a red or would have been able, or not able to, change lanes at certain times.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
      A long and winding road
      United States
      Member #17084
      June 10, 2005
      4532 Posts
      Posted: March 30, 2011, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Why even entertain or speculate. The facts are what they are. The "IF only" mentality is what brings folks down. 

Here is my two cents- Not in the pool, no pay out. That simple. 

I feel no sorrow for the guy who in retrospect had a mis opportunity, Sometimes things are a blessing in disguise....

I really think for media reasons they should have a stand up cardboard poster of Uncle Sam when they get presented with the check, afterall Uncle Sam is a given winner on these claims. ( and yeah he wasnt even in the pool was he! LOL!!)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
        Norfolk , Va
        United States
        Member #4541
        May 2, 2004
        25100 Posts
        Posted: March 30, 2011, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

Maybe that group can ask this .  Would he have given one of us a cut if it were one of us that didn't feel lucky that day. They may find an answer on whether or not to include him or give him something.

Just another thought on this.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

Texas
          United States
          Member #92330
          June 5, 2010
          887 Posts
          Posted: March 30, 2011, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, so they won because of him so they should give him his cut.

I wonder if the judge will agree.

If I was the judge I wouldn't give him a cut because of that, of course I've never said they should give him a cut. His actions were a part of a longer list of things that happened that day that led to the pool winning the jackpot. If they gave him a cut just for being a part of their life that day they would need to give a cut to other drivers and possibly other customers in the store.

My first post wasn't to try and say he deserves money for being a cause of them winning, just that you never know if they still would have won had he joined the pool. Personally I don't think they would have, so he still wouldn't have won the millions. Life is full of so many small events that can determine major things, such is the case with this group winning the millions. It's happened before as well, look at other winners' stories where certain events led to them buying tickets when they otherwise wouldn't have.

Texas
            United States
            Member #92330
            June 5, 2010
            887 Posts
            Posted: March 30, 2011, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Maybe that group can ask this .  Would he have given one of us a cut if it were one of us that didn't feel lucky that day. They may find an answer on whether or not to include him or give him something.

Just another thought on this.

The problem with that, which someone pointed out on the first page, is there were other people that were sometimes in the pool that didn't put in there money this time either. If they shared with him they would be easy targets of everyone else who didn't put money in but feel like they deserve money since this guy got some.

If it was just this guy, I would consider adding him as a member of the group, but I don't believe that is the case.

This is one reason I wouldn't want to be in a pool unless it was clearly stated how we would divide up money in such a case as this where people didn't contribute and then we won. I would want to share but I would be worried about that opening the group up to lawsuits.

United States
              Member #93947
              July 10, 2010
              2180 Posts
              Posted: March 30, 2011, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

If I was the judge I wouldn't give him a cut because of that, of course I've never said they should give him a cut. His actions were a part of a longer list of things that happened that day that led to the pool winning the jackpot. If they gave him a cut just for being a part of their life that day they would need to give a cut to other drivers and possibly other customers in the store.

My first post wasn't to try and say he deserves money for being a cause of them winning, just that you never know if they still would have won had he joined the pool. Personally I don't think they would have, so he still wouldn't have won the millions. Life is full of so many small events that can determine major things, such is the case with this group winning the millions. It's happened before as well, look at other winners' stories where certain events led to them buying tickets when they otherwise wouldn't have.

This movie dramatically portrays exactly what you're talking about.

Fascinating stuff.

(Trailer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvU6qtu0mCs

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: March 31, 2011, 12:00 am - IP Logged

I'm not saying anyone should get a hand out. But yes, I believe even how long the person in front of you takes has an affect on things. I'm just saying that multiple things happened for them to get the winning numbers and his opting out was a part of that, just as I'm sure many other things were.

I've even seen the same thoughts posted here by others about the whole "clerk pushed the button at the right time" sort of thing, I'm not a believer in giving a clerk some money just because they pushed the button that gave you the winning numbers, but they are responsible for you getting those numbers.

I actually don't believe anyone but yourself, unless you're apart of a pool, should get winnings even though there are many people that decided what time you get to the store. On my daily drive there are plenty of other vehicles that alter the time I will get my tickets and also people inside of the store that determine when the cashier pushes the button for my tickets. In a way I think all of those people would be responsible for me winning, but I wouldn't give them money because of that.

I liked to put my eye out when I was eatin Chinese food a couple weeks back with one of them dam sticks they eat with and I don't believe no dam butterfly flappin around had anything to do with it.

Why the hell people wanna eat with sticks is beyond me. It ain't like they just invented the spoon yesterday.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Empress-N's avatar - voodoo
                  If That # Looks Good, Play It!!!
                  United States
                  Member #73903
                  April 28, 2009
                  1433 Posts
                  Posted: March 31, 2011, 12:26 am - IP Logged

Here's my thoughts on this, and sort of winning in general. Had he participated in the pool the time the pool leader went to the store and the time the clerk pushed the putton would be different, almost certainly giving different numbers, meaning the group/pool wouldn't have won.

His refusal to participate in the pool is responsible for them winning, as well as everything else during the day, as if anything else happended differently they would not have had the same numbers.

Ttech10, you hit the nail on the head. Sometimes in life people hold up other peoples blessings and I do believe that his refusal to participate allowed the blessing to fall. Guess he was the jinx of the group.

Let me preach for a minute pls..... Sometimes in life we block our own financial blessings either by the things we say, do, or the company we keep and the people we try to hold on to, everyone has somebody around them that they know they should let loose but for some unknown reason they refuse to let them go, unbeknowns to us we are blocking our blessings by having or keeping them around and don't even realize it.

Sometimes we just need to clean house and let go of all the dead weights and unnecessary baggages that we have been tagging around with, some of us don't even have to look too far to figure out what or who the humbug is.

Here a few examples:

The person(s) who constantly discourages you from your lottery jackpot dreams/goals.

The perso(s) who always telling you that you are wasting your money/time.

The person (s) who ignores you everytime you start discussing the lottery.

oh my fav...The person (s) who tell you not to waste your money on Quick Picks...lol

$1 Billion

Touch The Money For Luck!!!

"Claim It! Believe It! Receive It!"

I am who I am,   Not because of who I am,   But because the Great I AM,   Made me who I am.

Power Numbers   Where Is The Courtesy ??  Universal Dreams  Empress-N Hot Triads  All States P4 - Triads
                  Lotto Losers Lounge  WV - P3   WV - P4  Harve$t Moon Billionaires Club - Members Only  H$M - Holiday Music TRIADS All States P4  Lottery Bible 

__________________________________________________________________

United States
                    Member #81843
                    October 31, 2009
                    856 Posts
                    Posted: March 31, 2011, 12:46 am - IP Logged

Luck had nothing to do with it. He made a conscience decision and the consequences are based on action or inaction. His choice, had he played would not be dependent on how he felt. Chance favors the prepared mind but the mind has to be willing to take action (prepared). Of course if you want to look at the sunny side, the guy did get lucky. There seems to be some job security since people are not showing up to work. He may be happier in the long run and thankful for not buying in. We all have made choices we regret but somehow continue to carry on. That is a healthy perspective.

If you do not buy in, you have Zero chance to win. Without a chance to win, luck is irrelevant as always. The man is neither unlucky or lucky; his actions define the results.

As for whether past players get a kicker depends on the giver(s). It would be a good gesture considering the enormous wealth they all or individually have received. Perhaps somewhere among the seven there is a conscience for a congeniality prize. $100K would add to the quality of someone’s life. It is the givers choice and decision, wishful wanters will be at every corner looking for a handout. The givers should never act out of obligation or mal-assigned shame.

DD

United States
                      Member #75358
                      June 1, 2009
                      5345 Posts
                      Posted: March 31, 2011, 1:03 am - IP Logged

I just found out that the winners were from the future. They bought Todd's Almanac 2 years from now.

The guy who didn't win will be a car detailer two years from now...

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3475 Posts
                        Posted: March 31, 2011, 2:48 am - IP Logged

Thanks, nice to see I'm not the only one with this idea/view.

This group won because certain things happened a certain way, his opting out was one of those things.

I've gotten into a fender bender before because as I was going to my car I accidentally dropped my keys. Those few seconds that passed led to other things along my drive that put me in that location. Had I not dropped my keys I would have been in a different place due to maybe hitting a green/yellow light instead of a red or would have been able, or not able to, change lanes at certain times.

There are plenty of people with that view, even if there aren't many of them here. I can understand people not particularly believing that a butterfly flapping its wings actually causes a change the weather half-way around the world, but I really don't understand why people think that when one thing does change certain things will still happen exactly the same way, unless they think it's fate. If that's the case the guy who wasn't in the pool couldn't possibly have won, anyway.

If it's not fate, then why would people expect that out of the virtually infinite number of  things that could have happened between the time the guy didn't join the pool and the time of the drawing things would unfold with the same numbers being drawn? What else do they expect to have happened exactly the same way, and what do they think would have changed? We may not be able to figure out a specific chain of events that leads to different numbers being drawn, but we can easily figure out a great many things that would change, and it should also be very clear that we can't know all of the things that would change. It should also be extremely clear that we can't know what would stay the same. All we can do there is make an unprovable assumption.

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                          Member #65961
                          October 11, 2008
                          162 Posts
                          Posted: March 31, 2011, 2:52 am - IP Logged

Luck had nothing to do with it. He made a conscience decision and the consequences are based on action or inaction. His choice, had he played would not be dependent on how he felt. Chance favors the prepared mind but the mind has to be willing to take action (prepared). Of course if you want to look at the sunny side, the guy did get lucky. There seems to be some job security since people are not showing up to work. He may be happier in the long run and thankful for not buying in. We all have made choices we regret but somehow continue to carry on. That is a healthy perspective.

If you do not buy in, you have Zero chance to win. Without a chance to win, luck is irrelevant as always. The man is neither unlucky or lucky; his actions define the results.

As for whether past players get a kicker depends on the giver(s). It would be a good gesture considering the enormous wealth they all or individually have received. Perhaps somewhere among the seven there is a conscience for a congeniality prize. $100K would add to the quality of someone’s life. It is the givers choice and decision, wishful wanters will be at every corner looking for a handout. The givers should never act out of obligation or mal-assigned shame.

DD

I just read elsewhere on the internet where one guy said that he and his cowokers were in a lottery pool of 5 people total and they got the tickets, copied them, and listed the names of all five who played and it was all legit.........

However, one of them went back and got one single ticket...... and hit for $116 millions.....The remaining four are still working at the job, except the guy who won....

This man said because of his experience, he thinks these IT guys should share especially if the guy was a regular player.

(Imagine if they did....... if the other players ALL agreed to let this 1 guy in and split it 8 ways.........that to me would be a far greater story....The act itself would be unheard of and would go way beyond the money.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19831 Posts
                            Posted: March 31, 2011, 4:52 am - IP Logged

I just read elsewhere on the internet where one guy said that he and his cowokers were in a lottery pool of 5 people total and they got the tickets, copied them, and listed the names of all five who played and it was all legit.........

However, one of them went back and got one single ticket...... and hit for $116 millions.....The remaining four are still working at the job, except the guy who won....

This man said because of his experience, he thinks these IT guys should share especially if the guy was a regular player.

(Imagine if they did....... if the other players ALL agreed to let this 1 guy in and split it 8 ways.........that to me would be a far greater story....The act itself would be unheard of and would go way beyond the money.

Then imagine all their other co-workers who had also occassionally contributed to the pool in the past wanting a share of their winnings too.  What so great about that story, it happens almost every time an office pool wins a lottery jackpot.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                              Member #59354
                              March 13, 2008
                              3985 Posts
                              Posted: March 31, 2011, 7:22 am - IP Logged

DD

PartyI Agree!    1000%

RL