Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

THE LOTTERY BEST KEPT SECRET=Buying more than one ticket increases your chances of winning?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 6 years ago by guesser.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: April 3, 2011, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Let me atem ridge, those canivers trying to take advantage of us and hiding this for so long.

dog-gun

Yeah, I'm just glad THRIFTY was there to break up this insidious plot!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: April 3, 2011, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

Yes and they should have told us instead of keeping it a secret!

Those b-----ds!

When the lottery started out in Ohio it was two plays for a dollar, so they probably assume when they changed to one play for a dollar everyone would start buying two plays for two dollars if they wanted to have the same chance of winning but you know that old joke about ass-u-me.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NEW YORK
      United States
      Member #90535
      April 29, 2010
      11983 Posts
      Posted: April 3, 2011, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Yes and they should have told us instead of keeping it a secret!

Those b-----ds!

THAT'S FUNNY DUDE LOL White Bounce i guess I wrote the wrong topic.BUT I AM STILL A LOYAL BUT THRIFTY LOTTERY PLAYER EVEN WHEN I PLAY TWO LINES TO DOUBLE MY CHANCES

NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90535
        April 29, 2010
        11983 Posts
        Posted: April 3, 2011, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

When the lottery started out in Ohio it was two plays for a dollar, so they probably assume when they changed to one play for a dollar everyone would start buying two plays for two dollars if they wanted to have the same chance of winning but you know that old joke about ass-u-me.

Yes i get the point. You guys are really funny LOL even the maddog10 joined the gang. crazy White BounceLOL

NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90535
          April 29, 2010
          11983 Posts
          Posted: April 3, 2011, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

On a serious note, i understand why most people feel that buying more than a ticket is a bad bet.The odds of winning the jackpot do not change regardless of the number of people.Your odds remain the same for every ticket that you have.It is not a cumulative thing.For example, every ticket you possess for powerball has the same odds 1 in 195,249,054 no matter how many people play.  The mega millions odds are 1 in 175,711,536 for each ticket you hold regardless of how many people play.EACH OF YOUR TICKETS REPRESENT A PERSON PLAYING.

The odds do not change.What changes with more players is the odds that if you win, you would have to share the jackpot with others(multiple winners).This mean that us the crazies White Bouncethat buy tickets when the jackpot is high expecting we have a chance of winning more money are foolish.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: April 3, 2011, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

On a serious note, i understand why most people feel that buying more than a ticket is a bad bet.The odds of winning the jackpot do not change regardless of the number of people.Your odds remain the same for every ticket that you have.It is not a cumulative thing.For example, every ticket you possess for powerball has the same odds 1 in 195,249,054 no matter how many people play.  The mega millions odds are 1 in 175,711,536 for each ticket you hold regardless of how many people play.EACH OF YOUR TICKETS REPRESENT A PERSON PLAYING.

The odds do not change.What changes with more players is the odds that if you win, you would have to share the jackpot with others(multiple winners).This mean that us the crazies White Bouncethat buy tickets when the jackpot is high expecting we have a chance of winning more money are foolish.

You're no more foolish than any of us, THRIFTY.

I hope you hit the big one.    Thumbs Up

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

mayhem's avatar - 142g5yd
              Fort Worth, TX
              United States
              Member #106060
              February 11, 2011
              188 Posts
              Posted: April 4, 2011, 3:25 am - IP Logged

"Your odds remain the same for every ticket that you have. It is not a cumulative thing."

But since you hold more than one ticket, your odds of winning have increased. 

Right?

How you do anything is how you do everything.

NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                11983 Posts
                Posted: April 4, 2011, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

You are confusing odds with chances.When you hold more than one ticket you increase your chances of winning.ONLY THE LOTTERY CAN INCREASE OR DECREASE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING BY CHANGING THE MATRIX OF THE GAME YOU PLAY.Mega millions odds 1 in 175 millions and POWERBALL odds 1 in 195 millions are always fixed against every combination purchased.But you can increase your chances by buying more tickets.That's my understanding.Some players try to change the matrix of the games on their own by wheeling all the numbers of a game except for the winning numbers from the previous drawing.That is the only way that you can increase your odds of winning.If one of the previous drawing numbers come out you did not increase your odds.I let the lottery deal with the odds (matrix) of the game.I focus on increasing my chances of winning by buying more tickets or playing with 1 line per drawing.Again this is just how i see things, i am not an expert otherwise i would have won the jackpot by now.

United States
                  Member #9579
                  December 12, 2004
                  2121 Posts
                  Posted: April 4, 2011, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

the hardest job for the lottery people is to make sure all the millions of ticket buyers don't win 3 dollars each,sometimes having a late drawing to make sure.

i have bought all 46 megaballs with the whitey balls quickpicks and won 3 dollars times multiplier many times.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19831 Posts
                    Posted: April 5, 2011, 11:24 am - IP Logged

You are confusing odds with chances.When you hold more than one ticket you increase your chances of winning.ONLY THE LOTTERY CAN INCREASE OR DECREASE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING BY CHANGING THE MATRIX OF THE GAME YOU PLAY.Mega millions odds 1 in 175 millions and POWERBALL odds 1 in 195 millions are always fixed against every combination purchased.But you can increase your chances by buying more tickets.That's my understanding.Some players try to change the matrix of the games on their own by wheeling all the numbers of a game except for the winning numbers from the previous drawing.That is the only way that you can increase your odds of winning.If one of the previous drawing numbers come out you did not increase your odds.I let the lottery deal with the odds (matrix) of the game.I focus on increasing my chances of winning by buying more tickets or playing with 1 line per drawing.Again this is just how i see things, i am not an expert otherwise i would have won the jackpot by now.

i am not an expert otherwise i would have won the jackpot by now.

It the experts that tell us that there's more of a chance of getting hit by lighting than winning a lottery jackpot so I doubt if they ever win any jackpots either.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

sully16's avatar - sharan
                      Ringleader
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #81740
                      October 28, 2009
                      40611 Posts
                      Posted: April 5, 2011, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

The odds are so high, I don't get my hopes up, it's not the end of the world each week, but I do stay optimistic. Good Luck Thrifty.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5615 Posts
                        Posted: April 6, 2011, 8:20 am - IP Logged

THAT'S FUNNY DUDE LOL White Bounce i guess I wrote the wrong topic.BUT I AM STILL A LOYAL BUT THRIFTY LOTTERY PLAYER EVEN WHEN I PLAY TWO LINES TO DOUBLE MY CHANCES

Read Bob P's "How to win your Pick 6 Lottery" on Lotto Logix.

Same principles apply to pick 5. Interesting stuff.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

mayhem's avatar - 142g5yd
                          Fort Worth, TX
                          United States
                          Member #106060
                          February 11, 2011
                          188 Posts
                          Posted: April 6, 2011, 10:24 am - IP Logged

We will have to agree to disagree then.

How you do anything is how you do everything.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6290 Posts
                            Posted: April 9, 2011, 8:57 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the info Thrifty.........

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              11983 Posts
                              Posted: April 10, 2011, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the info Thrifty.........

2 LINES QUICK PICK

MEGA MILLIONS $58 MILLIONS ANNUITY bought 2 LINES QUICK PICK.GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY.Buying more tickets increase your chances of winning, but you should play whatever you can afford to lose.DO NOT OVER DO IT.IT ONLY TAKES ONE LUCKY COMBINATION TO WIN IT ALL.JUST BE A PLAYER WHENEVER YOU FEEL LIKE PLAYING. BE THRIFTY LIKE ME.AS YOU CAN SEE MY POST HAS A QUESTION MARK AT THE END?

US Flag