Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What software does a novice need to learn to write and run math analysis programs?

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Domeman.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #105312
January 29, 2011
435 Posts
Posted: April 16, 2011, 8:21 am - IP Logged

I've never written a program but I'd like to try learn how to write simple ones and use them.  I see these codes posted by JadeLottery, RL and others on the threads and I have no idea how to make any use of them or run them on my computer.

I know just enough to create macros to do some of what I want to do on EXCEL and text editors.

What software do I need to acquire to run the codes you post here?  What software do you recommend for a beginner to learn to write code to analyze, compile and whatever else it is you do?

Are there elementary books you'd recommend?

United States
    Member #105312
    January 29, 2011
    435 Posts
    Posted: April 16, 2011, 8:57 am - IP Logged

I should probably add that I thought I could figure this out on my own, which is how I usually do things.  But the more I've read on the recent threads about how people learned to program, what they use for compiling, what programs they used when they were learning and what they try to do now the more clear it becomes to me that I'd save myself a lot of effort by asking directly for advice from people who know what they're talking about.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
      Dallas, Texas
      United States
      Member #4549
      May 2, 2004
      1671 Posts
      Posted: April 16, 2011, 11:53 am - IP Logged

I should probably add that I thought I could figure this out on my own, which is how I usually do things.  But the more I've read on the recent threads about how people learned to program, what they use for compiling, what programs they used when they were learning and what they try to do now the more clear it becomes to me that I'd save myself a lot of effort by asking directly for advice from people who know what they're talking about.

Josephus,

Download QB64. It's a 32/64 bit version of the original BASIC reworked by an internet poster named Galleon. It will run on XP/VISTA/Win7.

The home page will point you to the forums where you can download it and the wiki documentation. Almost all the original BASIC language has been implemented. 

It looks and performs the same as QB4.5 or QBASIC 7.1, which you could still get. But don't bother. You would have to install a program called DOSBOX to run those. Not worth it.

United States
        Member #105312
        January 29, 2011
        435 Posts
        Posted: April 16, 2011, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Josephus,

Download QB64. It's a 32/64 bit version of the original BASIC reworked by an internet poster named Galleon. It will run on XP/VISTA/Win7.

The home page will point you to the forums where you can download it and the wiki documentation. Almost all the original BASIC language has been implemented. 

It looks and performs the same as QB4.5 or QBASIC 7.1, which you could still get. But don't bother. You would have to install a program called DOSBOX to run those. Not worth it.

Thanks Gary.  I'll do it.

Ramijami's avatar - wired shell.jpg
          Cape Town
          South Africa
          Member #66343
          October 23, 2008
          115 Posts
          Posted: April 16, 2011, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Josephus,

I use JustBasic, found it to be the easiest to learn, very good tutorial to get you started, and extremely helpful members in the forum should you have any programming specific related queries.....you can google justbasic.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2011, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

If you are writing macros, you are already programming in a flavor of BASIC. Hurray!

There are a number of other languages that have come along since then -- the differences being their ease of use and best purposes.

There's plenty of free example code online, for you to see which language(s) you prefer.

When you are ready to move on to books, I'd start with "Learn ___ in 24 Hours" or "Learn ___ in 21 Days"

If you go with an edition older than the current one, you can also save a buck or two. Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
              The Quantum Master
              West Concord, MN
              United States
              Member #21
              December 7, 2001
              3675 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2011, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

QuickBASIC is a good place to start.

It's what I use to do my first programming.

But, if you have Windows, it may be better to go with Visual Basic.

You can download the free version at http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/#2010-Visual-Basic

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
              Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
              Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
              Knowledge is Beyond Belief
              Wisdom is Not Censored
              Douglas Paul Smallish
              Jehocifer

United States
                Member #105312
                January 29, 2011
                435 Posts
                Posted: April 16, 2011, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

Ramijami, Time*treat and JadeLottery:  Thanks to all of you.  I just spent 2 hours downloading QB as per Gary's suggestion [dialup and 23 mg download].  I haven't loaded it yet so I don't know if it came through uncorrupted.  Long downloads and a lousy phone line here have a way of getting corrupted on a windy or wet day. 

[Probably not the fault of the phone company - one night I shot the phone line in two by accident running off cows gathered around the house.  Spliced it back together with 12/2 Romax and electrical tape and it's never been quite the same.]

I'll probably try all your suggestions and especially thanks for mentioning the book titles.

United States
                  Member #105312
                  January 29, 2011
                  435 Posts
                  Posted: April 16, 2011, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

QB 64 loaded fine.  Reminds me of looking at an old MSDOS startup screen.  I'm going to copy/paste the wheel program JadeLottery posted on his thread into it and see what happens.

I feel like a kid with a new toy.  Thanks a bunch, all of you.

United States
                    Member #93947
                    July 10, 2010
                    2180 Posts
                    Posted: April 17, 2011, 12:31 am - IP Logged

For a beginner, I would second Ramijami's motion for JustBasic.

It runs under Windows independent of DOS/CMD considerations, and they make it very easy to output graphs and charts.

http://www.justbasic.com

Have fun!

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                      Tx
                      United States
                      Member #4570
                      May 4, 2004
                      5180 Posts
                      Posted: April 17, 2011, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

I've never written a program but I'd like to try learn how to write simple ones and use them.  I see these codes posted by JadeLottery, RL and others on the threads and I have no idea how to make any use of them or run them on my computer.

I know just enough to create macros to do some of what I want to do on EXCEL and text editors.

What software do I need to acquire to run the codes you post here?  What software do you recommend for a beginner to learn to write code to analyze, compile and whatever else it is you do?

Why don't you take a good look at my blog, I wrote some beginners stuff there, I know next to nothing about BASIC, but after reading and posting about it for a few short days I just finished making this, the download link is only good for 7 days:

http://wikisend.com/download/601206/Fernando%27sCalculator1.00.exe

That is very old basic like it was used on the Altair's computers, those computers that were bigger than a refrigerator, but is the same old basic as also used on the Commodore 64 and the Vic 20 and other Pcs of the 80s, it still works just as it did back then.

I only used a few BASIC commands, you would do well to first learn Commodore Basic and then from there move on to GW Basic, which can do a hell of a lot more, once there that is more than enough really, but you could then move on to Quick Basic and then to Visual Basic if you wanted to, but I believe that GW Basic might be more than good enough if you are good at it.

You know, some programmers are not so good.

I just began to learn this week, I have had a few hours of instruction, I teach myself, reading from texts.

-------------------------

I quit making the BASIC tutorial due to lack of interest from people, but a good portion is already there, on my blog.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

United States
                        Member #105312
                        January 29, 2011
                        435 Posts
                        Posted: April 17, 2011, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Why don't you take a good look at my blog, I wrote some beginners stuff there, I know next to nothing about BASIC, but after reading and posting about it for a few short days I just finished making this, the download link is only good for 7 days:

http://wikisend.com/download/601206/Fernando%27sCalculator1.00.exe

That is very old basic like it was used on the Altair's computers, those computers that were bigger than a refrigerator, but is the same old basic as also used on the Commodore 64 and the Vic 20 and other Pcs of the 80s, it still works just as it did back then.

I only used a few BASIC commands, you would do well to first learn Commodore Basic and then from there move on to GW Basic, which can do a hell of a lot more, once there that is more than enough really, but you could then move on to Quick Basic and then to Visual Basic if you wanted to, but I believe that GW Basic might be more than good enough if you are good at it.

You know, some programmers are not so good.

I just began to learn this week, I have had a few hours of instruction, I teach myself, reading from texts.

-------------------------

I quit making the BASIC tutorial due to lack of interest from people, but a good portion is already there, on my blog.

Thanks a bunch Lantern.  Good to see you posting.  I haven't noticed any posts by you for a while.

I'll do the download. 

But I'm also figuring to download the others people suggested.  I got the QB 64 but haven't set the world on fire with it yet.  Shortly after I successfully downloaded it I decided to take another shot downloading Expert Lotto and it came through uncorrupted also, so I'll probably play around with it some before I try writing programs.

I noticed a few minutes ago the electrical tape wrapped around my phone line is coming unwrapped and hanging down a few feet blowing in the wind [anecdote about the circumstances of my shooting it in two somewhere above].  Maybe after I re-tape it downloading will go better.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                          Member #59354
                          March 13, 2008
                          3962 Posts
                          Posted: April 17, 2011, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

Josephus

When using QB64 the first thing to do is set the display size. Click "options" then "display" then set the width and 

hight to set the size of the IDE window. I set mine to Width =140 Hight = 46

COPY AND PASTE THIS CODE INTO THE PROGRAM AND CLICK "RUN"  THEN CLICK "MAKE EXE ONLY"

YOU NOW HAVE YOUR FIRST qb64 PROGRAM

SCREEN _NEWIMAGE(960, 648, 256): 'SET PROGRAM WINDOW SIZE IN PIXELS
                          _TITLE "MY FIRST PROGRAM IN QB64" 'ADD A TITLE
                          COLOR 79, 79 'SET FORGROUND BACKGROUND COLOR
                          CLS 'CLEAR SCREEN
                          COLOR 0, 79 'SET COLOR TO PRINT BLACK TEXT ON LIGHT BLUE BACKGROUND
                          LOCATE 1, 2: PRINT "HELLO WORLD" ' PRINT HELLO ON LINE 1 SECOND CHARACTER

LOCATE 2, 2: PRINT "PRESS Q TO EXIT"

DO 'LOOP UNTIL Q KEY IS PRESSED

_LIMIT 200 'CONTROLS THE LOOPS PER SECOND TO TAKE LOAD OFF CPU

CMD1$ = RIGHT$(INKEY$, 1) 'LOAD KEYPRESS INTO STRING VARIBLE CMD1$
                          CMD1$ = UCASE$(CMD1$) 'CHANGE KEY TO UPPER CASE
                          IF CMD1$ = "Q" THEN EXIT DO 'EXITS DO / LOOP WHEN Q OR q IS PRESSED
                          LOOP

SYSTEM ' EXITS PROGRAM

United States
                            Member #59354
                            March 13, 2008
                            3962 Posts
                            Posted: April 17, 2011, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Same code without annotation

SCREEN _NEWIMAGE(960, 648, 256):
                            _TITLE "MY FIRST PROGRAM IN QB64"

COLOR 79, 79
                            CLS
                            COLOR 0, 79
                            LOCATE 1, 2: PRINT "HELLO"
                            LOCATE 2, 2: PRINT "PRESS Q TO EXIT"

DO
                            _LIMIT 200
                            CMD1$ = RIGHT$(INKEY$, 1)
                            CMD1$ = UCASE$(CMD1$)
                            IF CMD1$ = "Q" THEN EXIT DO
                            LOOP

SYSTEM 

RL

United States
                              Member #59354
                              March 13, 2008
                              3962 Posts
                              Posted: April 17, 2011, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

another quick program to calculate the sq-root of a number

SCREEN _NEWIMAGE(960, 648, 256):
                              _TITLE "MY FIRST PROGRAM IN QB64"
                              COLOR 79, 79

CALCSQR:
                              CLS
                              COLOR 0, 79
                              LOCATE 1, 2: INPUT "ENTER NUMBER TO CALCULATE SQ-ROOT ", SQROOT
                              LOCATE 2, 2: PRINT "THE SQUARE ROOT OF"; SQROOT; "="; SQROOT ^ .5

LOCATE 4, 2: PRINT "PRESS (E) TO EXIT OR (N) FOR NEXT "
                              DO
                              _LIMIT 200
                              CMD1$ = RIGHT$(INKEY$, 1)
                              CMD1$ = UCASE$(CMD1$)
                              IF CMD1$ = "E" THEN EXIT DO
                              IF CMD1$ = "N" THEN GOTO CALCSQR
                              LOOP
                              SYSTEM ' EXITS PROGRAM