Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What software does a novice need to learn to write and run math analysis programs?

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Domeman.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #105312
January 29, 2011
435 Posts
Posted: April 18, 2011, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Finally, if we open out sumdata.dat file in notepad it will show the total number of draws, the low sum, the high sum and the percentages of hits from the total draws. From there we can open them in Excel to manipulate it in any way we choose. The sumdata file will look like this:

Thanks a bunch Gary.  I've copied, pasted everything you said and downloaded the file.

I owe you.

United States
    Member #105312
    January 29, 2011
    435 Posts
    Posted: April 18, 2011, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

I have found things I wanted to do in XL that weren't explained in any of the books I have for it (the web was helpful in those cases) -- but I've not yet run into anything it couldn't actually do, in the number-crunching arena. Cool

Hi Time*treat.  There's a good chance the shortcoming is mine rather than EXCEL's.  A lot of what I do isn't within the range of probabilities anyone else would want to do them.  But the websites have been a lot of help, though several times in the past had email exchanges with some of the people who help on the sites explaining what I was trying to do.  Those ultimately ended with the helpers deciding they didn't know how to do it, either.

But EXCEL definitely has a lot of capabilities beyond what the books and help sites bother explaining.  Probably the result of triage more than anything  else.

Thanks for the reply.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
      Dallas, Texas
      United States
      Member #4549
      May 2, 2004
      1689 Posts
      Posted: April 19, 2011, 12:09 am - IP Logged

Thanks a bunch Gary.  I've copied, pasted everything you said and downloaded the file.

I owe you.

Josephus,

My pleasure. If there is anything you need, let us know. There is plenty of good people here willing to assist.

G

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
        ORLANDO, FLORIDA
        United States
        Member #4924
        June 3, 2004
        5896 Posts
        Posted: April 19, 2011, 5:52 am - IP Logged

Josephus,

My pleasure. If there is anything you need, let us know. There is plenty of good people here willing to assist.

G

Josephus,

Hope, I'm not intruding, thanks for the thread. Garyo, copied your examples, thank you. It has been over 30 years, since I have done any programming. I hope that some of my learning will return and not lost forever.

United States
          Member #105312
          January 29, 2011
          435 Posts
          Posted: April 19, 2011, 9:41 am - IP Logged

Josephus,

Hope, I'm not intruding, thanks for the thread. Garyo, copied your examples, thank you. It has been over 30 years, since I have done any programming. I hope that some of my learning will return and not lost forever.

No problem CARBOB.  Glad to see I'm not the only one getting benefits from all the help being offered up.

United States
            Member #105312
            January 29, 2011
            435 Posts
            Posted: April 19, 2011, 9:52 am - IP Logged

I have found things I wanted to do in XL that weren't explained in any of the books I have for it (the web was helpful in those cases) -- but I've not yet run into anything it couldn't actually do, in the number-crunching arena. Cool

A lot of the time it's just a matter of putting the right information in a search engine, which is one of my shortcomings.  I just found this:  http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm and it's offering some hope some of what I thought I'd have to program to do has already been done in EXCEL.  It won't keep me from starting to learn to program but it provides an alternative on an immediate problem

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
              Dallas, Texas
              United States
              Member #4549
              May 2, 2004
              1689 Posts
              Posted: April 19, 2011, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Thank you CARBOB! I hope a few people got some benefit out of it. Judging from the number of times it was downloaded several people are interested in finding a way to put their ideas in a form they can use. I'm happy to see that.

With a few changes the same routing will give percentages or the hi/lo and even/odd combinations. And conditions cam be added to show how many numbers would have to be played to cover any sum range. Let me get caught up on what I have going and I'll pull that together. 

Thanks to everyone who took the time to look it over and found something they could use. It's always a pleasure to see people take an interest in what has been posted.

G

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: April 19, 2011, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

A lot of the time it's just a matter of putting the right information in a search engine, which is one of my shortcomings.  I just found this:  http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm and it's offering some hope some of what I thought I'd have to program to do has already been done in EXCEL.  It won't keep me from starting to learn to program but it provides an alternative on an immediate problem

Heh, yeah, there's a whole lot of undocumented stuff in XL -- one of the older versions even has a flight simulator. LOL

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                  Member #41846
                  June 23, 2006
                  459 Posts
                  Posted: May 1, 2011, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

Joseph

being able to write programs to do what you want opens lots of possibilities.  Don't worry about writing perfect code.  start with a small task , then expand on it.  if you work at it, in six months you'll dump most of what you have done because you will have found a better way to do it.  use the rem statement generously to explain what you are doing.  months later you will forget what a particular bit of code was intended to do.

if there is is a command you don't understand, ask, if you need ideas on how to do a task, ask.

which program to use, if the code will be for your use, it makes little difference, most of what you will use will be common.

most important, enjoy the challenge.

United States
                    Member #105312
                    January 29, 2011
                    435 Posts
                    Posted: May 2, 2011, 9:24 am - IP Logged

Joseph

being able to write programs to do what you want opens lots of possibilities.  Don't worry about writing perfect code.  start with a small task , then expand on it.  if you work at it, in six months you'll dump most of what you have done because you will have found a better way to do it.  use the rem statement generously to explain what you are doing.  months later you will forget what a particular bit of code was intended to do.

if there is is a command you don't understand, ask, if you need ideas on how to do a task, ask.

which program to use, if the code will be for your use, it makes little difference, most of what you will use will be common.

most important, enjoy the challenge.

Welcome advice phileight.  I'll follow it.  Thanks.

CT
                      United States
                      Member #60059
                      April 4, 2008
                      856 Posts
                      Posted: May 18, 2011, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

There is PureBasic.

http://www.purebasic.com/index.php

Luck be with you!!!

NOTE: All numbers posted are BOXED and unless otherwise noted.