Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Store Clerk Playing Unfair? Is This Legal?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 6 years ago by ohhhnoomrbill.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
chinalinda143's avatar - batman38
Miami,Fl
United States
Member #107375
March 6, 2011
11 Posts
Posted: April 17, 2011, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Hello Everyone,

Ok I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on this. I have stopped going to a store that I used to go to here locally close to me, becasue one day I was playing my normal lottery tickets and I saw the clerk and the security guard working there getting scratch off tickets the clerk would give him 4 scratch off tickets he scratched it in the bottom and then she would just check it for him, it's clear to me they were looking for a winner, this got me upset. Becasue I believe this was not right. NOw shortly after a couple of month's after a big winner from this store arose in one of the $5 scratchers of the Cruise ship Games as it just had come out, it was a $500K winner and who won I believe when I saw in the gallery on fl lott. website was a store employee could this  be coinsidence or unfair play by that store clerk and combinations to ouytwin the customers?

CHINADance

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
    The Ville, FL
    United States
    Member #95879
    August 19, 2010
    1708 Posts
    Posted: April 17, 2011, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Hello Everyone,

Ok I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on this. I have stopped going to a store that I used to go to here locally close to me, becasue one day I was playing my normal lottery tickets and I saw the clerk and the security guard working there getting scratch off tickets the clerk would give him 4 scratch off tickets he scratched it in the bottom and then she would just check it for him, it's clear to me they were looking for a winner, this got me upset. Becasue I believe this was not right. NOw shortly after a couple of month's after a big winner from this store arose in one of the $5 scratchers of the Cruise ship Games as it just had come out, it was a $500K winner and who won I believe when I saw in the gallery on fl lott. website was a store employee could this  be coinsidence or unfair play by that store clerk and combinations to ouytwin the customers?

Unfortunately, the "Cruise for Cash" $5 Scratcher does NOT have a $500K Top Prize.

I think you are mistaken ;)

P.S - Whats wrong with the store owner & security gaurd paying/playing scratch offs? They dont work at the FL Lottery Commision, therefore they are allowed to play. I dont see what this is an issue?

chinalinda143's avatar - batman38
      Miami,Fl
      United States
      Member #107375
      March 6, 2011
      11 Posts
      Posted: April 17, 2011, 10:47 am - IP Logged

Unfortunately, the "Cruise for Cash" $5 Scratcher does NOT have a $500K Top Prize.

I think you are mistaken ;)

P.S - Whats wrong with the store owner & security gaurd paying/playing scratch offs? They dont work at the FL Lottery Commision, therefore they are allowed to play. I dont see what this is an issue?

B$Rizzle,

Thank you for your reply, I am sorry I was mistaken it was the very top prize that the game produced $200K. Ok yes I understand that but it's the fact that these are on the job employees at the time i saw this in otherwords while working the Lottery section and Scratch off's while on the job, they are just scrtaching away. I know that because they are not the Store Owner that is fine they have the option to play like anyone of us, but my question is while on that timeclock working the Lottery line in front of the customers doing this.

CHINADance

erik83's avatar - Lottery-005.jpg
        Punta Gorda, Florida
        United States
        Member #109194
        April 7, 2011
        183 Posts
        Posted: April 17, 2011, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

One day, I was at Winn Dixie cashing in my $100 winner on the $20 Monopoly, I saw a clerk from a Marathon Gas Station cashing in $885.00 In winners of Scratch-Offs, Her biggest win was $400 on Aces and 8's.....They should make it illeagl for them to Play Scratch-Offs, I mean, those Scratch-Offs could have been our winners, They need to enforce a policy that store clerks can't play the florida lottery.

I went to get a $20 Gold Rush Ticket once and I saw that 2 of the codes were scratched off (CF) I asked the Clerk for a New One, He refused and I told him that If I don't get a new Ticket, I'm gonna Call the Florida Lottery, he then sighed and gave me the next ticket, It was a $50 Winner......I went to cash it in and he said, sorry sir, I can't cash in that winner.....Then I said, Bull<snip>, You can, If you can cash in a $100 Winner, I guess you owe me my $50 SIR!

He cashed it in and said, Have a nice day.

His Store motto should be: Buy a already Scratched-Off Ticket And Deal with It!

<snip>

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

new york
          United States
          Member #63828
          August 9, 2008
          175 Posts
          Posted: April 17, 2011, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

It's not illegal for store clerks to play scratch off tickets, but they are at a much better advantage than the average customer is - after all, they witness who has and who hasn't won.

Let's say there is one guy who purchases ten tickets, scratches them at the store, and loses on all of them. The guy (who, unfortunately, either has ran out of money or just doesn't have any more or doesn't want to play any more) leaves. The store clerk witnesses this and - voila - will purchase the next ticket, etc. etc.

If by chance the guy does come back with more cash to purchase the next ticket - it's gone.  Too bad for that poor guy, but this happens all of the time. It's not just lurkers who are watching - it's also store clerks and owners!

Again, is it illegal? No. However, there should be some type of waiver that prohibits store clerks from purchasing tickets at the location where they work. It's not fair that they get the added advantage of watching us poor suckers throw away our money, only for them to get it! How many times have you heard that big winners are (more often than not), store owners or clerks? Too many times. Local tv stations, newspapers, etc, from time to time run cash games and they specify that their employees are ineligible to play. Why can't local lotteries do the same thing?

It's time the lottery does something about this.

SE PA
            United States
            Member #93582
            July 3, 2010
            1866 Posts
            Posted: April 17, 2011, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Agree 100%, Ralphie! Store clerks should be able to buy, but not from their own store.

brownshuga's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
              Greenville
              United States
              Member #60125
              April 6, 2008
              1 Posts
              Posted: April 17, 2011, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

yea it is something else I know here in north carolina store clerks can not buy scratch offs while they are on the clock

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49725 Posts
                Posted: April 18, 2011, 8:48 am - IP Logged

Agree 100%, Ralphie! Store clerks should be able to buy, but not from their own store.

Clerks will then Buy Tickets from another Store from a Clerk who is their Friend and vice versa.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                  The Ville, FL
                  United States
                  Member #95879
                  August 19, 2010
                  1708 Posts
                  Posted: April 18, 2011, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

Clerks will then Buy Tickets from another Store from a Clerk who is their Friend and vice versa.

True..

Plus the best defense we all have against this, is to just buy your dayum scratchers and scratch them somewhere else (not in the store)....Then the clerks will not know if you won or not.

No reason peopel should be getting upset about this when they are sitting there scratching them in the store in front of the clerks. Just take them to your car and scratch. End of story

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
                    Nashville, TN
                    United States
                    Member #86739
                    February 9, 2010
                    483 Posts
                    Posted: April 18, 2011, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

True..

Plus the best defense we all have against this, is to just buy your dayum scratchers and scratch them somewhere else (not in the store)....Then the clerks will not know if you won or not.

No reason peopel should be getting upset about this when they are sitting there scratching them in the store in front of the clerks. Just take them to your car and scratch. End of story

Very good point B$Rizzle.

or at the very least just dont cash your winners at the same store, with the same clerk. If you do, just hold on to them for several hours or the next day so they wont know whether you won or lost. Sometimes when I do this, if I know the clerk is watching, I feel like they are puzzled and curious as to why I dont cash them and how much I won or lost.

I know store clerks are typically just trying to make an extra buck here or there like us, but I feel like they shouldnt be able to play on the job. And they shouldnt be able to buy scratch offs from themselves either. It just seems to give them much more of an edge over everyone else.

atlanta
                      United States
                      Member #72405
                      March 17, 2009
                      1344 Posts
                      Posted: April 18, 2011, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

I'm glad i saw this post they do more dirt than what is being talked about in this thread!!!!  I walked into the local store and saw the clerk scanning a brand new roll of scatch offs for big winners.  She was using the machine that tells you if its a winner before giving it to the clerk to cash in.  If i hadn't seen this post I wouldn't have said anything because how can i prove what I saw?

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
                        Nashville, TN
                        United States
                        Member #86739
                        February 9, 2010
                        483 Posts
                        Posted: April 18, 2011, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

I'm glad i saw this post they do more dirt than what is being talked about in this thread!!!!  I walked into the local store and saw the clerk scanning a brand new roll of scatch offs for big winners.  She was using the machine that tells you if its a winner before giving it to the clerk to cash in.  If i hadn't seen this post I wouldn't have said anything because how can i prove what I saw?

It might have appeared that way ronnie, but there is no real way for clerks to do this (scroll up in this thread for more info).

If it were the case, then clerks all over the country would be able to scan these and find big winners, then quit their jobs or live very comfortably.

To scan and see a scratch off as a big winner, certain codes or numbers on the front of the code must be scanned and/or entered.

That being said, if you ever buy a scratcher that already has numbers or codes scratched off, let the clerk or authorities know. Odds are it is a crooked cashier that has scratched the numbers and scanned to see if it was a winner (somebody on this thread talks about how that happened to them)

Mamma28z's avatar - phone
                          Lower MI
                          United States
                          Member #94546
                          July 22, 2010
                          247 Posts
                          Posted: April 18, 2011, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

What you probably saw was them scanning the roll in- not sure of the correct wording.

I got three $2 tickets last night at a gas station- went home and scratched them, won $40 on one. Today I took it in another store to cash it in and the clerk told me it was not 'activated' ? (again I am not sure on the wording) .. Handed me a slip and the ticket back- said to take it back where I got it. So I did and the guy there had no clue what to do, his boss would be back in an hour... ggggrrrrr So I went to my little market- favorite store and she called the lottery right away- and someone did something and she was able to cash it in..

Note to self- remember where you buy the tickets- this could have been a not busy place that might have not noticed for quite some time!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                            Member #13130
                            March 30, 2005
                            2171 Posts
                            Posted: April 18, 2011, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

It might have appeared that way ronnie, but there is no real way for clerks to do this (scroll up in this thread for more info).

If it were the case, then clerks all over the country would be able to scan these and find big winners, then quit their jobs or live very comfortably.

To scan and see a scratch off as a big winner, certain codes or numbers on the front of the code must be scanned and/or entered.

That being said, if you ever buy a scratcher that already has numbers or codes scratched off, let the clerk or authorities know. Odds are it is a crooked cashier that has scratched the numbers and scanned to see if it was a winner (somebody on this thread talks about how that happened to them)

Well, they could try, but a record is generated every time a ticket is scanned.

Normally, its buy-code is scanned when it is bought and the prize-code is scanned, later, when it is checked for a win.

Get the order or timing wrong, and you're busted.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

SE PA
                              United States
                              Member #93582
                              July 3, 2010
                              1866 Posts
                              Posted: April 18, 2011, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

We can't prevent everything underhanded. I think at the least clerks shouldn't buy from their own store IF they work at customer service and see the winners.