Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Store Clerk Playing Unfair? Is This Legal?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 6 years ago by ohhhnoomrbill.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Mass
United States
Member #68073
December 12, 2008
217 Posts
Posted: April 18, 2011, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

This is the very reason I have always wanted a part-time job as a clerk. Any money earned would be spent on "higher-probability" tickets. It is also a good reason to be as friendly as possible with the clerks in the stores that you frequent. they are a wealth of knowledge! They know which tix have "hit" and are usually willing to share the info. Clerks are not employees of the lottery so it would be up to the store owners to ban employees from playing while on duty. In Mass, there are many obstacles to keep clerks from cheating. If a clerk scans more than one non-winning ticket, the machine will go into safe mode, requiring a 16 digit number be entered for all tickets afterward.

So, I guess I am more envious that aggrivated by clerks who take advantage of their position. Let's face it, these folks are likely making minimum wage and hafta put up with alls kinds of idiots, drunks, potential criminal robbers and us scrath-addicts! For those of you who are aggrivated, simply buy a ticket or two, scratch it in the store and run outta there gasping for air and screaming, " I can't believe it!". That oughtta throw them off a bit!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19813 Posts
    Posted: April 18, 2011, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

This is the very reason I have always wanted a part-time job as a clerk. Any money earned would be spent on "higher-probability" tickets. It is also a good reason to be as friendly as possible with the clerks in the stores that you frequent. they are a wealth of knowledge! They know which tix have "hit" and are usually willing to share the info. Clerks are not employees of the lottery so it would be up to the store owners to ban employees from playing while on duty. In Mass, there are many obstacles to keep clerks from cheating. If a clerk scans more than one non-winning ticket, the machine will go into safe mode, requiring a 16 digit number be entered for all tickets afterward.

So, I guess I am more envious that aggrivated by clerks who take advantage of their position. Let's face it, these folks are likely making minimum wage and hafta put up with alls kinds of idiots, drunks, potential criminal robbers and us scrath-addicts! For those of you who are aggrivated, simply buy a ticket or two, scratch it in the store and run outta there gasping for air and screaming, " I can't believe it!". That oughtta throw them off a bit!

It is also a good reason to be as friendly as possible with the clerks in the stores that you frequent. they are a wealth of knowledge!

Some folks take that even farther by being friendly with everyone coming into the store to buy tickets.  Nothing erks me more than folks hanging out at a store near the counter saying "Remember me if you have the big winner" to everyone buying tickets.  I'm usually courteous and just smile and move on when I really feel like saying "Who in the h.......... are you?  I don't know you and I don't want to know you even if I lose".

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #104435
      January 14, 2011
      2244 Posts
      Posted: April 18, 2011, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

I got asked the other day "arent you gonna tip me, you have been winning so much". 

Are some people just so arrogant or what ?

2014 Highest Winner: $500

SE PA
        United States
        Member #93582
        July 3, 2010
        1866 Posts
        Posted: April 18, 2011, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

I got asked the other day "arent you gonna tip me, you have been winning so much". 

There's a clerk I really like at Giant who has helped me with a lot of cash-ins. I asked her if she'd let me tip her, but although she was flattered, she wasn't allowed to take a tip. I got asked by this other clerk for a tip at Giant then when I shouldn't have been asked. I wonder how many clerks go against policy. I'd have no problem tipping on $200 or more winnings, but at Giant I will say no.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #74096
          May 2, 2009
          22834 Posts
          Posted: April 18, 2011, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Opportunists. They'll smile at you like they are joking but it's the eyes...it's all in the eyes.

There IS something not right about employees playing, selling, handling, activating and cashing tickets.

This has been discussed before. Even if their only advantage is knowing who bought how many of what,

who lost on what tickets and who turned in bigger winners then that is an advantage that should preclude

them from being able to play while on their shift. Anyone who handles, activates, stocks, cashes should

not be allowed to play while on shift PERIOD.

The lottery does not care because a sale is a sale until the integrity of the lottery is at stake. Cheating

clerks scratching enough latex to see a code? That is a no no..what kind of picture does that paint for the

instant ticket buyer? That they're buying a useless piece of paper that has been tampered with...do you

think the lottery wants their image comprimised? That would affect sales. But really, for sales purposes,

what do THEY care who is buying the tickets or winning on them for that matter? A clerk? Nah, their

money is as good as the next guys.

They have to seem upstanding in fraud control...even though they may not be upstanding in other areas.

Take the codes for instance. It's impossible to tell just how many winners were thrown away due to

lack of getting word out about a new change....which by the way for PA is a change AGAIN in a couple

years. Sure, sure, the player must be informed BUT the Lottery must at least be an effective, active

participant that is responsible for informing players of changes to something they are accustomed to

seeing....and that means getting word out about it.

Each sales site needs notification posted ON PAPER WHERE IT CAN BE SEEN. They rely too much on

the website and think a little is enough.

Back to the scratching salesmen/women - I agree with anyone who thinks it is wrong for them to play/buy

/scratch while at work. Wouldn't it be nice to have one say....in the first hour of their shift especially, 'Hey

I just won $100 on that one - don't buy it'. He*ll, if they're playing and keeping track themselves, do you

really think they're going to tip you off as to what to buy...that just may be the slot their focus is on next..

why do they want YOU to buy THEIR winner?

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: April 19, 2011, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

Hello Everyone,

Ok I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on this. I have stopped going to a store that I used to go to here locally close to me, becasue one day I was playing my normal lottery tickets and I saw the clerk and the security guard working there getting scratch off tickets the clerk would give him 4 scratch off tickets he scratched it in the bottom and then she would just check it for him, it's clear to me they were looking for a winner, this got me upset. Becasue I believe this was not right. NOw shortly after a couple of month's after a big winner from this store arose in one of the $5 scratchers of the Cruise ship Games as it just had come out, it was a $500K winner and who won I believe when I saw in the gallery on fl lott. website was a store employee could this  be coinsidence or unfair play by that store clerk and combinations to ouytwin the customers?

Not every state allows the retailer to buy tickets at their own store.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/206553

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: April 21, 2011, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Cashiers or other employees should not be allowed to buy or cash tickets for themselves in their own places of employment.

I know that it would be hard to enforce but if the punishment was somewhat more undesirable than usual it might work.

Like public flogging in front of their convenience stores if caught disobeying the law. With customers allowed to give a few lashes with a $10 purchase.

And any money they won would be given to the multi-millionaires retirement fund.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6290 Posts
                Posted: April 30, 2011, 6:16 am - IP Logged

Agree 100%, Ralphie! Store clerks should be able to buy, but not from their own store.

I Agree! with you both.....

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
                  Denver, Co
                  United States
                  Member #103046
                  December 29, 2010
                  546 Posts
                  Posted: April 30, 2011, 8:37 am - IP Logged

I've never seen or heard of any of this before. I guess I'm living too sheltered of a lottery life. I buy my tickets from a machine inside a busy King Soopers grocery store. The clerks are always too busy helping customers, and the machine is in a fairly high traffic area which is too conspicuous for any would-be lurkers.

Give someone a fish and feed them for a day. Teach them to use the internet and they won't bother you for weeks. 

Toledo, Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #111029
                    May 17, 2011
                    8 Posts
                    Posted: May 17, 2011, 11:48 am - IP Logged

...that's why there's push to use vending machines to sell tickets.  I never disclose losing tickets for that reason (at least to a strange store-clerk).....the odds go up for a win after a run---of losers.  Heck the odds are posted on the back of the ticket---but lol... I heard about clerks getting the fever---buying odds-favored tickets---and losing their job with a cash-short register .