Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Great Lottery Revolt

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Googler.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

The states work for its CITIZEN. Should the odds of winning be tipped a little more to the players?

Yes [ 22 ]  [50.00%]
No [ 4 ]  [9.09%]
Send 90% to fund schools. [ 1 ]  [2.27%]
Tipped the scale towards me! [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
Send it all to balance the federal deficit. [ 1 ]  [2.27%]
The states don't believe that they work for US! [ 11 ]  [25.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
Michigan
United States
Member #22395
September 24, 2005
1583 Posts
Posted: April 27, 2011, 10:06 am - IP Logged

LOL   I love it. They've got everything their way now.

The right for students to sit down or turn their back on the American Flag during the Pledge. (Thank you, ACLU) (My belt is twitching) 

Frisking 3 year old little American girls at the airports to show we're not profiling anybody so we don't "offend" the ones who should be getting frisked.

Leaving our southern border virtually wide open so we don't "send the wrong message" or "offend" anybody.

Paying more than double for gas since Girlyman got elected and told yesterday by him that the solution is to buy a new car with better mileage while we guarantee loans to Brazil for money to do offshore drilling, while we remain seated on the world's largest sources of untapped energy.

Where's the uproar about the highest gas prices in history from the libs? All I hear is crickets! They were going berserk when gas hit $3 under Bush!

These hypocrites make me wanna puke.

I better not get started.

..geez no, don't get started!

I think we should get a better shake from the lotteries.  If offshore lottery companies can make money and offer $900 for a Pick3 win, I think at least $700 from the State Lotteries is more than possible.

They don't call it a tax, we shouldn't be paying such a high price. Otherwise call it a tax.

Still leaves money for education.

Schools don't need unions.  Schools don't need expensive labor and pensions to provide decent education.  Schools don't need excessive salaries for administration.  Schools don't need fancy expensive buildings either. 

How about taxing the oil companies a few billion to foot the education bill?  Better yet, how about calling it gouging and force them to lower the price at the gas pump?  I really don't care if gas is $10/gallon in foreign countries, I care that gas should be around $2.00 to $2.50/gallon here.

I never did learn that pledge to the flag, don't see that as important at all.

United States
    Member #105312
    January 29, 2011
    435 Posts
    Posted: April 27, 2011, 10:51 am - IP Logged

Outside of the military and space exploration, everything the government touches is usually a fiasco.

How is it, one wonders, that the very people who love big government have the unmitigated gall to complain about it lumbering to it's historical and routine level of proficiency and achievement in operation of the various lotteries?

It's like they're in shock that the government doesn't do things very well.

Wait til they see em run healthcare.

I personally couldn't care less about the government.  I do like lotteries.

But lottery players cover the whole political spectrum... politicizing discussion about the lotteries is absurd. 

I will say that the private sector does a pretty good job of muddling things up when they get their hands on retirement systems, such as 401Ks .... banks and stockmarket entities.... retirees lost 50-60% of their retirement savings into the pockets of those over the past few years.  And the multi-national corporations sent all our technology to Asia, our jobs to the Third World, and even our trees somewhere else so we could buy it back as plywood.

Name your poison.  Giving them the lottery to loot probably wouldn't make much difference, given the lottery commissions as they are, but why give them something else to rob?

Saying the government is a nest of thieves isn't a lie.  Suggesting the private sector is any better ignores the truth of an equally valid body of evidence.  Turning a blind eye and pretending it's all the government for the sake of political posturing and agendas is about politics.  It isn't about lotteries and it isn't about lottery players.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:04 am - IP Logged

..geez no, don't get started!

I think we should get a better shake from the lotteries.  If offshore lottery companies can make money and offer $900 for a Pick3 win, I think at least $700 from the State Lotteries is more than possible.

They don't call it a tax, we shouldn't be paying such a high price. Otherwise call it a tax.

Still leaves money for education.

Schools don't need unions.  Schools don't need expensive labor and pensions to provide decent education.  Schools don't need excessive salaries for administration.  Schools don't need fancy expensive buildings either. 

How about taxing the oil companies a few billion to foot the education bill?  Better yet, how about calling it gouging and force them to lower the price at the gas pump?  I really don't care if gas is $10/gallon in foreign countries, I care that gas should be around $2.00 to $2.50/gallon here.

I never did learn that pledge to the flag, don't see that as important at all.

I agree with some of your points but we're following an agenda designed to put us where we are and the only way to change that agenda is regime change.

I don't believe in singling out certain groups or industries (like Oil) to pay for education or anything else. We do that to smokers here in Tennessee. I do believe that subsidies to the oil companies should be ended however and indeed should never have been instituted.

I believe we all should have to pay through the nose together to cover insanely exorbitant salaries, benefits and pensions for union teachers who are milking us dry. Passing the buck to somebody else doesn't solve the problem, it only exacerbates it. When we stop passing the buck and it hurts us (as it should) to pay these heavy-handed union thugs to brainwash our kids, we'll stand up and put an end to it.

I have to assume you immigrated from another country if you never learned the Pledge and don't consider it important. I can understand that to a certain extent. I do however believe that any citizen who doesn't pledge allegiance to this country should renounce their citizenship and move to where their allegiance lies.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Michigan
        United States
        Member #22395
        September 24, 2005
        1583 Posts
        Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Your assumption is wrong on both counts, rdgrnr, born here, my allegiance is here.  Just can't ever remember much past the first line and don't think it is important to be forced to recite it.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:52 am - IP Logged

I personally couldn't care less about the government.  I do like lotteries.

But lottery players cover the whole political spectrum... politicizing discussion about the lotteries is absurd. 

I will say that the private sector does a pretty good job of muddling things up when they get their hands on retirement systems, such as 401Ks .... banks and stockmarket entities.... retirees lost 50-60% of their retirement savings into the pockets of those over the past few years.  And the multi-national corporations sent all our technology to Asia, our jobs to the Third World, and even our trees somewhere else so we could buy it back as plywood.

Name your poison.  Giving them the lottery to loot probably wouldn't make much difference, given the lottery commissions as they are, but why give them something else to rob?

Saying the government is a nest of thieves isn't a lie.  Suggesting the private sector is any better ignores the truth of an equally valid body of evidence.  Turning a blind eye and pretending it's all the government for the sake of political posturing and agendas is about politics.  It isn't about lotteries and it isn't about lottery players.

You can't have it both ways - on one hand saying you couldn't care less about government and on the other bemoaning the fact that jobs are leaving.

Government levies burdensome  taxes on business to assuage the success-envy of the "where's my free stuff?" crowd while making unkeepable promises to unions in exchange for votes and thereby driving these businesses overseas.

Industries have relocated overseas because we have one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world (We rank with Uganda, Libya, Benin and Cameroon) and our unions have demanded wages and benefits so unreasonable as to make business here unprofitable.

And yes, businesses are in business to make a profit, not to be social welfare agencies, believe it or not.

Claims of political posturing should hardly come from one so likeminded and so thinly veiled.

Not that I blame you - there aren't too many folks of your bent who want to be seen jumping on that particular bandwagon in broad daylight anymore.

And it's going 90 miles an hour down a dead end road.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: April 27, 2011, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

Your assumption is wrong on both counts, rdgrnr, born here, my allegiance is here.  Just can't ever remember much past the first line and don't think it is important to be forced to recite it.

So you support the ACLU, that kids should be allowed to remain seated and silent or turn their backs on the flag when the Pledge is recited?

Do you feel the same about immigrants when they want to become American citizens?

--Edmund Burke

United States
              Member #105312
              January 29, 2011
              435 Posts
              Posted: April 27, 2011, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

You can't have it both ways - on one hand saying you couldn't care less about government and on the other bemoaning the fact that jobs are leaving.

Government levies burdensome  taxes on business to assuage the success-envy of the "where's my free stuff?" crowd while making unkeepable promises to unions in exchange for votes and thereby driving these businesses overseas.

Industries have relocated overseas because we have one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world (We rank with Uganda, Libya, Benin and Cameroon) and our unions have demanded wages and benefits so unreasonable as to make business here unprofitable.

And yes, businesses are in business to make a profit, not to be social welfare agencies, believe it or not.

Claims of political posturing should hardly come from one so likeminded and so thinly veiled.

Not that I blame you - there aren't too many folks of your bent who want to be seen jumping on that particular bandwagon in broad daylight anymore.

And it's going 90 miles an hour down a dead end road.

You're so used to seeing commies behind every tree you think every one has a commie behind it.  There aren't any "folks of my bent".  I don't like the government, I don't trust the government, I don't like either political party.  I just happen to recognize the people on Wall Street, the people in Washington, and the people down on the street are all the same species:  greedy, opportunistic scum.  They'll mug you on the streets, they'll mug you in the governments and they'll mug you on Wall Street.  Some just use more finesse than others, but they're all the same people.

You've never met anyone of my bent.

SE PA
                United States
                Member #93582
                July 3, 2010
                1866 Posts
                Posted: April 27, 2011, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

You're so used to seeing commies behind every tree you think every one has a commie behind it.  There aren't any "folks of my bent".  I don't like the government, I don't trust the government, I don't like either political party.  I just happen to recognize the people on Wall Street, the people in Washington, and the people down on the street are all the same species:  greedy, opportunistic scum.  They'll mug you on the streets, they'll mug you in the governments and they'll mug you on Wall Street.  Some just use more finesse than others, but they're all the same people.

I'm never going to see eye to eye with rgdrnr, so I'm dropping it now. I will say that corporations have so many tax loopholes that some even don't record any tax. I'll gladly focus on the Lottery here, but I'll go to Democratic Underground for political discussion, thank you.

The argument could go on forever with him, so I'll just agree to disagree now.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: April 27, 2011, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

The commies are all gone, JM. Not really gone, per se, they just don't call themselves communists openly anymore or operate independently.

They've joined up with one of the two major political parties who have the same goals and agenda.

Which one do you think the communists joined up with, JM?

Take a wild guess.

Never mind, I don't want to put you on the spot.

Welp, it's afternoon, time to start slammin' Jack and divining digits!

Good luck in the PB tonight, JM!

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: April 27, 2011, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

I'm never going to see eye to eye with rgdrnr, so I'm dropping it now. I will say that corporations have so many tax loopholes that some even don't record any tax. I'll gladly focus on the Lottery here, but I'll go to Democratic Underground for political discussion, thank you.

The argument could go on forever with him, so I'll just agree to disagree now.

You're right, Matt. General Electric doesn't pay a dime in taxes. Their chairman, Mr Immelt, is one of our President's closest friends and contributes heavily to his party and his political campaign. So GE has it made. GE is a good big business.

They're not like the bad big businesses that don't contribute. They need to be taxed more to make up for what GE doesn't have to pay.

BTW, I hope you enjoy the talking points mantra and slogan recital at that disgruntled lib site. Underground is very apropos for it's name btw - that's where garbage goes!

Good luck in the PB tonight!

--Edmund Burke

Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #22395
                      September 24, 2005
                      1583 Posts
                      Posted: April 27, 2011, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

So you support the ACLU, that kids should be allowed to remain seated and silent or turn their backs on the flag when the Pledge is recited?

Do you feel the same about immigrants when they want to become American citizens?

The flag should be respected.  It shouldn't be burned.  It shouldn't be worn as clothing.  Kids in class should stand, even if they don't recite words out loud. Immigrants, everyone, should stand.  If I visit another country, whatever custom they have for their flag, I would follow. Respect.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: April 27, 2011, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

The flag should be respected.  It shouldn't be burned.  It shouldn't be worn as clothing.  Kids in class should stand, even if they don't recite words out loud. Immigrants, everyone, should stand.  If I visit another country, whatever custom they have for their flag, I would follow. Respect.

I agree with some of that.

I personally think that kids who don't want to show respect for our country by reciting the Pledge aloud with their hands over their hearts and hats off, standing at attention should be sent to live in Boston or San Francisco  because they're going to grow up to be anti-American libs like their parents anyway. They might as well be with more of their own kind.

--Edmund Burke

Virginia Beach, Virginia
                          United States
                          Member #110060
                          April 25, 2011
                          115 Posts
                          Posted: April 27, 2011, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

We as a nation have managed fairly well to separate church from state. We now need to reclassify the definition of corporations to keep those quasi human entities out of government. They are gutting the nation. They have trickled on us.

And about "regime change." It is like when my wife accuses you of something that I didn't do. Just because she say it, or stations like Fox, broadcast it, delivering the information doesn't make it true. The eight year regime drove the economy into the 90 foot ditch and continue to blame the passenger. When the passenger attempts to get the GM car out of the ditch, you kick the passenger in the cajones.

Citizen in a democracy have a duty to be educated. You must be able to ferret out the truth and protest unjust laws and policies. It is our duty to be the gadfly in the room until the fun game of playing the lottery is tipped towards the suffering citizen of the USofA. Call your state Executive Director to the lottery. As citizens it is your right to demand a recalibration of the lottery.

It is time to join the LOTTERY PARTY. Our weapons will be stacks of failed lottery tickets and scratch cards. We have stockpiles ready for the battle. J

Never forget citizens, it is our $1.00

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

We as a nation have managed fairly well to separate church from state. We now need to reclassify the definition of corporations to keep those quasi human entities out of government. They are gutting the nation. They have trickled on us.

And about "regime change." It is like when my wife accuses you of something that I didn't do. Just because she say it, or stations like Fox, broadcast it, delivering the information doesn't make it true. The eight year regime drove the economy into the 90 foot ditch and continue to blame the passenger. When the passenger attempts to get the GM car out of the ditch, you kick the passenger in the cajones.

Citizen in a democracy have a duty to be educated. You must be able to ferret out the truth and protest unjust laws and policies. It is our duty to be the gadfly in the room until the fun game of playing the lottery is tipped towards the suffering citizen of the USofA. Call your state Executive Director to the lottery. As citizens it is your right to demand a recalibration of the lottery.

It is time to join the LOTTERY PARTY. Our weapons will be stacks of failed lottery tickets and scratch cards. We have stockpiles ready for the battle. J

Never forget citizens, it is our $1.00

I think maybe you should try out the DLU (Disgruntled Lib Underground) with Matt, Googly.

I think you would probably be in the mainstream there.

I wouldn't even rule out leadership potential.

Maybe a Spokesman.

Good Luck in the Powerball, Googly!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
                              United States
                              Member #110060
                              April 25, 2011
                              115 Posts
                              Posted: April 28, 2011, 11:59 am - IP Logged

I think maybe you should try out the DLU (Disgruntled Lib Underground) with Matt, Googly.

I think you would probably be in the mainstream there.

I wouldn't even rule out leadership potential.

Maybe a Spokesman.

Good Luck in the Powerball, Googly!

Googly!, that is funny. I'm a conservative. Conserving our nation should supercede party loyalties. Thanks for passing along the good luck on my Powerball plays. Join the Lottery Party today.