Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The odds say 1:397...so you

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 6 years ago by ohhhnoomrbill.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Toledo, Ohio
United States
Member #111029
May 17, 2011
8 Posts
Posted: May 17, 2011, 11:55 am - IP Logged

So you buy #4 tickets and get a winner right?   Not!   The odds appear as pecentages....so a $100.00 winner can cause 5--7 losers in a row!  Hit a winner walk away.   trouble is the last guy may have done the same thing----so typically buy two tickets and you'll up yer odds.   Anyone else feel this way????

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
    The Ville, FL
    United States
    Member #95879
    August 19, 2010
    1708 Posts
    Posted: May 17, 2011, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

So you buy #4 tickets and get a winner right?   Not!   The odds appear as pecentages....so a $100.00 winner can cause 5--7 losers in a row!  Hit a winner walk away.   trouble is the last guy may have done the same thing----so typically buy two tickets and you'll up yer odds.   Anyone else feel this way????

That is a very very common misconception about lottery odds. Many people think that since the odds are example 1 in 4, that if they buy 4 tickets they WILL have a winner. That is completely untrue. I have seen rolls with 10-12 losers in a row, however there could also be 4 winners in a row later on in that roll. Also there could be some rolls of 30 tickets that only have 4 winners total. Then there could be another "hot" roll that has 15 winners.

The odds posted are total odds for the entire games. For example, if you take all of the tickets printed for any game (that has odds of 1 in 4), divided by the total # of winners, that equals 1 out of every 4 as a whole.

Toledo, Ohio
      United States
      Member #111029
      May 17, 2011
      8 Posts
      Posted: May 18, 2011, 9:30 am - IP Logged

You must be a real-shooter to buy a rolls-at-a-time; I haven’t been that gutsy yet.   Still kind of a hit and run player here. So if I run across a string of 12 losers---I go back to betting on the ponies. I wish I could get a handle on a simple system for finding the winners, but it still eludes me. I get frustrated to find all the bigger winners in the states bigger cities—the lottery states simply more sales----then more winners to a given area. Questionable----but partly logical.   Seemly random computer-shuffling doesn’t equate to centralized big-payoffs. I still struggle with the numbers and stats! Winners lists are never complete.

The Ville, FL
        United States
        Member #95879
        August 19, 2010
        1708 Posts
        Posted: May 18, 2011, 9:59 am - IP Logged

You must be a real-shooter to buy a rolls-at-a-time; I haven’t been that gutsy yet.   Still kind of a hit and run player here. So if I run across a string of 12 losers---I go back to betting on the ponies. I wish I could get a handle on a simple system for finding the winners, but it still eludes me. I get frustrated to find all the bigger winners in the states bigger cities—the lottery states simply more sales----then more winners to a given area. Questionable----but partly logical.   Seemly random computer-shuffling doesn’t equate to centralized big-payoffs. I still struggle with the numbers and stats! Winners lists are never complete.

Nah actually I never buy rolls. I know plenty of people who have over the years. I stick to instinct and buy 1-2 here and there. Ive always thought of it like this: If you buy a roll, you know you are gauranteed some losers (if not most) on that roll. If I pick and choose 1-2 here and there off instint, I know I exclude the feeling that some of them are gauranteed losers. To me, buying 1-2 means that they could both be winners or losers, but doesnt garauntee them losers right off the bat.

Ive done decent on playing this way and other players have their own strategies as well that work for them. I know some peeps on here who buy a decent amount of rolls and it has paid off for them. All it takes is getting that one decent win off a roll and you are good. No matter how you slice and dice it, its still a gamble

I just buy a couple and hope for the best!

Good luck to you ohhhnoomrbill & welcome to LP

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #104435
          January 14, 2011
          2244 Posts
          Posted: May 18, 2011, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I think the opposite, you are guaranteed multiple winners on a roll. you can go to the store and buy 10 straight of any game and they could all lose.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

The Ville, FL
            United States
            Member #95879
            August 19, 2010
            1708 Posts
            Posted: May 19, 2011, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

I think the opposite, you are guaranteed multiple winners on a roll. you can go to the store and buy 10 straight of any game and they could all lose.

Very true indeed James. But in hindsight, buying a roll you WILL buy some losers.;)

Toledo, Ohio
              United States
              Member #111029
              May 17, 2011
              8 Posts
              Posted: May 20, 2011, 11:48 am - IP Logged

I don't know James ....from the posts here....79% (a percentage out of the air), seems to come up short on the payoffs!   The same principle could apply to 3-different rolls---with overall better results.  Still a random gamble...