Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Memorial Day Originally Known As Decoration Day

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Harve$t Moon.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Empress-N's avatar - voodoo
Have At It Then...Go Ahead!!!
United States
Member #73903
April 28, 2009
1433 Posts
Posted: May 29, 2011, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

Army Emblem                  Flag                    Navy Emblem

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 30 in 2011). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. Service Members who died while in the military service. First enacted by former enslaved Africans to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War – it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars.

Memorial Day often marks the start of the summer vacation season, and Labor Day its end.

Begun as a ritual of remembrance and reconciliation after the Civil War, by the early 20th century, Memorial Day was an occasion for more general expressions of memory, as ordinary people visited the graves of their deceased relatives, whether they had served in the military or not. It also became a long weekend increasingly devoted to shopping, family get-togethers, fireworks, trips to the beach, and national media events such as the Indianapolis 500 auto race, held since 1911 on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.

Air Force Emblem      Coast Guard Emblem       Marine Corps Emblem

$1 Billion

Touch The Money For Luck!!!

"Claim It! Believe It! Receive It!"

I am who I am,   Not because of who I am,   But because the Great I AM,   Made me who I am.

Power Numbers   Where Is The Courtesy ??  Universal Dreams  Empress-N Hot Triads  All States P4 - Triads
Lotto Losers Lounge  WV - P3   WV - P4  Harve$t Moon Billionaires Club - Members Only  H$M - Holiday Music TRIADS All States P4  Lottery Bible 

United States
    Member #73903
    April 28, 2009
    1433 Posts
    Posted: May 29, 2011, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

Pick 3:

257, 500, 530, 505, 630, 747, 687, 991, 822

397, 175, 440, 781, 573, 278, 891, 975, 817

183, 27X, 336, 100, 000, 300, 426, 63X, 10X

425, 628, 736, 993, 524, 600

Pick 4:

1865, 1911, 1866, 1868, 1424, 1182, 1095

1049, 1645, 1278, 1039, 1647, 1487, 1869

1871, 1890, 1870, 1950, 1865, 2800,1866

1916, 1890, 1913, 1882, 1968, 1967,1971

2002, 1987

Best of Luck with your Memorial Weekend Lottery Play!!!

$1 Billion

I am who I am,   Not because of who I am,   But because the Great I AM,   Made me who I am.

Power Numbers   Where Is The Courtesy ??  Universal Dreams  Empress-N Hot Triads  All States P4 - Triads
    Lotto Losers Lounge  WV - P3   WV - P4  Harve$t Moon Billionaires Club - Members Only  H$M - Holiday Music TRIADS All States P4  Lottery Bible 

United States
      Member #73903
      April 28, 2009
      1433 Posts
      Posted: May 29, 2011, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

History

The first known observance of Memorial Day was in Charleston, South Carolina in 1865; freedmen (freed enslaved Africans) celebrated at the Washington Race Course, today the location of Hampton Park, and each year there after. African Americans founded Decoration Day, now referred to as Memorial Day, at the graveyard of 257 Union soldiers and labeled the gravesite "Martyrs of the Race Course" on May 1, 1865. Black Charlestonians created this American tradition.

In the North in Waterloo, New York on May 5, 1866. The friendship between General John Murray, a distinguished citizen of Waterloo, and General John A. Logan, who helped bring attention to the event nationwide, was likely a factor in the holiday's growth. On May 5, 1868, in his capacity as commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic – the organization for Northern Civil War veterans – Logan issued a proclamation that "Decoration Day" should be observed nationwide. It was observed for the first time on May 30 of the same year; the date was chosen because it was not the anniversary of a battle.

There were events in 183 cemeteries in 27 states in 1868, and 336 in 1869. The northern states quickly adopted the holiday; Michigan made "Decoration Day" an official state holiday in 1871 and by 1890 every northern state followed suit. The ceremonies were sponsored by the Women's Relief Corps, which had 100,000 members. By 1870, the remains of nearly 300,000 Union dead had been buried in 73 national cemeteries, located mostly in the South, near the battlefields. The most famous are Gettysburg National Cemetery in Pennsylvania and Arlington National Cemetery, near Washington.

The Memorial Day speech became an occasion for veterans, politicians and ministers to commemorate the war – and at first to rehash the atrocities of the enemy. They mixed religion and celebratory nationalism and provided a means for the people to make sense of their history in terms of sacrifice for a better nation, one closer to God. People of all religious beliefs joined together, and the point was often made that the German and Irish soldiers had become true Americans in the "baptism of blood" on the battlefield. By the end of the 1870s the rancor was gone and the speeches praised the brave soldiers both Blue and Gray. By the 1950s, the theme was American exceptionalism and duty to uphold freedom in the world.

Ironton, Ohio lays claim to the nation's oldest continuously running Memorial Day parade, it has been a tradition since 1868. The first parade was held May 5, 1868.

Navy  Black Union Army

$1 Billion

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
        LAS VEGAS
        United States
        Member #47729
        November 22, 2006
        4581 Posts
        Posted: May 29, 2011, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 30 in 2011). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. Service Members who died while in the military service. First enacted by former enslaved Africans to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War – it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars.

Memorial Day often marks the start of the summer vacation season, and Labor Day its end.

Begun as a ritual of remembrance and reconciliation after the Civil War, by the early 20th century, Memorial Day was an occasion for more general expressions of memory, as ordinary people visited the graves of their deceased relatives, whether they had served in the military or not. It also became a long weekend increasingly devoted to shopping, family get-togethers, fireworks, trips to the beach, and national media events such as the Indianapolis 500 auto race, held since 1911 on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.

Great Sacred Remembernace Empress, for America's Largest Debt Holder,

Have a blessed Memorial Day.

R.I.P. NoteNote TAPS

EddessaKnight

Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
          Member #76986
          July 10, 2009
          8068 Posts
          Posted: May 30, 2011, 12:59 am - IP Logged

Thanks, Empress-N!  This is wonderful!  My heartfelt thanks and gratitude

goes to all who gave of themselves to serve our country at home and

abroad.  My husband, father, many relatives and friends served in the armed

forces.  A few of my friends never came home.  A relative suffers permanent

anguish from the war.  We must, also, remember the families that support our

service people during their tour of duty and when they come home!  Our

government must provide much better care for our returning soldiers and

address all of their needs!!!

US Flag  God Bless America!!!

296   116   301   105   610   134   718

addai1516's avatar - lib
            Newyork City NY / westland michigan
            United States
            Member #93153
            June 23, 2010
            4087 Posts
            Posted: May 30, 2011, 1:50 am - IP Logged

Thank you Empress and harvest moon , this material is educational you will be suprised that lots of people do not know what memorial day means . Frankly i was one of them now i know.Green laughGreen laugh

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              41926 Posts
              Posted: May 30, 2011, 7:49 am - IP Logged

Thank you Empress-N , My Family also has a long Military History, I have an Uncle who died in Italy at Anzio, he is buried in Florence, My Father was 7 years old when his oldest brother died, My Father was a Vietnam Vet, my brother, Honduras, my Many Nephews, Gulf War, Iraq, Now we have one in Japan.

To all our Men and Women we give Thanks.

God Bless America US Flag

HyperBe Happy.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                Beautiful Florida
                United States
                Member #5709
                July 18, 2004
                20228 Posts
                Posted: May 30, 2011, 8:03 am - IP Logged

memorial

Let us not forget the Men and Woman in the Armed Forces who have sacrificed, and have given the ultimate sacrifice for all.                    Thank You...! 

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

United States
                  Member #73903
                  April 28, 2009
                  1433 Posts
                  Posted: May 30, 2011, 11:52 am - IP Logged

Rememberance                       

Traditional Observance

Many people observe Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries and memorials. A national moment of remembrance takes place at 3 p.m. local time. Another tradition is to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff from dawn until noon local time. Volunteers often place American flags on each grave site at National Cemeteries.

One of the longest-standing traditions is the running of the Indianapolis 500, an auto race which has been held in conjunction with Memorial Day since 1911. It runs on the Sunday preceding the Memorial Day holiday. The Coca-Cola 600 stock car race has been held later the same day since 1961. The Memorial Tournament golf event has been held on or close to the Memorial Day weekend since 1976.

The National Memorial Day Concert takes place on the west lawn of the United States Capitol. The concert is broadcast on PBS and NPR. Music is performed, and respect is paid to the men and women who gave their lives for their country.

wall 1wall 2wall 3

$1 Billion

__________________________________________________________________

LAS VEGAS
                    United States
                    Member #47729
                    November 22, 2006
                    4581 Posts
                    Posted: May 30, 2011, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Empress-N Red rose

No greater love hath anyone then to give their life.....

I join you in saluting the honored dead & the sons & daughters of the Republic who are brevely serving in forward positions

Sempri Fedlis

EddessaKnight Note

Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
                      Member #76986
                      July 10, 2009
                      8068 Posts
                      Posted: May 30, 2011, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

Mon, May 30, 2011ArkansasCash 3 Midday4-3-1

Good Luck!  Patriot

US Flag

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10389 Posts
                        Posted: May 30, 2011, 7:53 pm - IP Logged
                        "General Order No. 11" handed down by Gen. John A. Logan in 1868.

Headquarters, Grand Army of the Republic
                        Washington, D.C., May 5, 1868

I. The 30th day of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form or ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.

We are organized, comrades, as our regulations tell us, for the purpose, among other things, "of preserving and strengthening those kind and fraternal feelings which have bound together the soldiers, sailors, and marines who united to suppress the late rebellion." What can aid more to assure this result than by cherishing tenderly the memory of our heroic dead, who made their breasts a barricade between our country and its foe? Their soldier lives were the reveille of freedom to a race in chains, and their death a tattoo of rebellious tyranny in arms. We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. All that the consecrated wealth and taste of the Nation can add to their adornment and security is but a fitting tribute to the memory of her slain defenders. Let no wanton foot tread rudely on such hallowed grounds. Let pleasant paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and found mourners. Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten, as a people, the cost of free and undivided republic.

If other eyes grow dull and other hands slack, and other hearts cold in the solemn trust, ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remain in us.

Let us, then, at the time appointed, gather around their sacred remains and garland the passionless mounds above them with choicest flowers of springtime; let us raise above them the dear old flag they saved from dishonor; let us in this solemn presence renew our pledges to aid and assist those whom they have left among us as sacred charges upon the Nation's gratitude,--the soldier's and sailor's widow and orphan.

II. It is the purpose of the Commander-in-Chief to inaugurate this observance with the hope it will be kept up from year to year, while a survivor of the war remains to honor the memory of his departed comrades. He earnestly desires the public press to call attention to this Order, and lend its friendly aid in bringing it to the notice of comrades in all parts of the country in time for simultaneous compliance therewith.

III. Department commanders will use every effort to make this order effective.

By command of:
                        JOHN A. LOGAN,
                        Commander-in-Chief.

N. P. CHIPMAN,
                        Adjutant-General.

http://suvcw.org/logan.htm

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2011, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

US FlagSome gave All.

God Bless Them.

Every One.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: May 30, 2011, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

History

The first known observance of Memorial Day was in Charleston, South Carolina in 1865; freedmen (freed enslaved Africans) celebrated at the Washington Race Course, today the location of Hampton Park, and each year there after. African Americans founded Decoration Day, now referred to as Memorial Day, at the graveyard of 257 Union soldiers and labeled the gravesite "Martyrs of the Race Course" on May 1, 1865. Black Charlestonians created this American tradition.

In the North in Waterloo, New York on May 5, 1866. The friendship between General John Murray, a distinguished citizen of Waterloo, and General John A. Logan, who helped bring attention to the event nationwide, was likely a factor in the holiday's growth. On May 5, 1868, in his capacity as commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic – the organization for Northern Civil War veterans – Logan issued a proclamation that "Decoration Day" should be observed nationwide. It was observed for the first time on May 30 of the same year; the date was chosen because it was not the anniversary of a battle.

There were events in 183 cemeteries in 27 states in 1868, and 336 in 1869. The northern states quickly adopted the holiday; Michigan made "Decoration Day" an official state holiday in 1871 and by 1890 every northern state followed suit. The ceremonies were sponsored by the Women's Relief Corps, which had 100,000 members. By 1870, the remains of nearly 300,000 Union dead had been buried in 73 national cemeteries, located mostly in the South, near the battlefields. The most famous are Gettysburg National Cemetery in Pennsylvania and Arlington National Cemetery, near Washington.

The Memorial Day speech became an occasion for veterans, politicians and ministers to commemorate the war – and at first to rehash the atrocities of the enemy. They mixed religion and celebratory nationalism and provided a means for the people to make sense of their history in terms of sacrifice for a better nation, one closer to God. People of all religious beliefs joined together, and the point was often made that the German and Irish soldiers had become true Americans in the "baptism of blood" on the battlefield. By the end of the 1870s the rancor was gone and the speeches praised the brave soldiers both Blue and Gray. By the 1950s, the theme was American exceptionalism and duty to uphold freedom in the world.

Ironton, Ohio lays claim to the nation's oldest continuously running Memorial Day parade, it has been a tradition since 1868. The first parade was held May 5, 1868.

Navy  Black Union Army

Thank you for this thread Empress-N.

I didn't realize that I didn't know the full history with the freed slaves and all.

God Bless 'em.

And God Bless You for doing this.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

LAS VEGAS
                              United States
                              Member #47729
                              November 22, 2006
                              4581 Posts
                              Posted: May 31, 2011, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Empress-N Red rose

No greater love hath anyone then to give their life.....

I join you in saluting the honored dead & the sons & daughters of the Republic who are brevely serving in forward positions

Sempri Fedlis

EddessaKnight Note

Empress-N, et al

God will not likely forgive us if we forget the debt we owe to our honored dead.

Again appreciation to Empress & all who remembered.....

EddessaKnight US Flag