Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:14 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So much for anonymity. Illinois terminals

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 6 years ago by cooldude.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10390 Posts
Posted: June 7, 2011, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure but I think that private firm that bought the Illinois lottery might be running things now. Even if not, there's been some changes.

The tickets have a different look to them and are printed on much slicker paper now. Maybe someone in Illinois with a scanner can scan in and ole and new ticket

There are new vido terminals that ahow screens of the jackpots for each game AND PICTURES OF WINNERS. I don't think I like this one bit. This isn't just jackpot winners either. Today it showed a couple who hit 5 + 0 on MM, and someone who woin $500 a week for life on a scratcher.

A few years ago a female pharmacist hired professional make-up people to disguise her before claiming a MM jackpot, not sure how that would work now. Maybe you still could do that. If not I could jujst imagine someone living somewhere like East st Louis or the worst parts of Chicago having their name, picture, and winning posted on every lotto terminal in the state.

I really don't think this is a good idea.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Illinois
    United States
    Member #99771
    October 31, 2010
    1414 Posts
    Posted: June 7, 2011, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Coin, I don't either. How far south of Chicago? I'm about 200 miles south.

United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10390 Posts
      Posted: June 7, 2011, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

shelby50,

I'm a little more than 300, about 105 miles SE of St Louis and 72 miles NW of Paducah, KY.

HS kids from the "Southern Seven" counties pay in state tution if they go to Kentucky colleges.

As often said, "the dog barks in Chicago and wags its tail in Springfield."

Of course, to Chcagoans, "Downstate" is anything south of 183rd Street!

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: June 7, 2011, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Definitely not a good idea.

I hope they give the winners some say in the matter.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2679 Posts
          Posted: June 7, 2011, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

Definitely not a good idea.

I hope they give the winners some say in the matter.

I wouldn't count on it Roll Eyes

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
            Texas
            United States
            Member #92330
            June 5, 2010
            887 Posts
            Posted: June 7, 2011, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

There are new vido terminals that ahow screens of the jackpots for each game AND PICTURES OF WINNERS. I don't think I like this one bit. This isn't just jackpot winners either. Today it showed a couple who hit 5 + 0 on MM, and someone who woin $500 a week for life on a scratcher.

I don't know if y'all had this before online, but here in Texas the site has pictures of people who won as low as $1,000 or a pair of tickets to the Cowboys game. Of course, I'm sure those are people who chose not to ask for minimal publicity (or maybe they just didn't know they could). If you do that they only release your name and what town you're from, no photographs.

http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/default/Winners/Winners_Gallery/index.html

Having the picture on the terminal though would be much more of a concern for me, as not many people will go looking through the winners gallery on the site, but with the terminal it's just right there for people to see, even if they aren't interested in the lottery at all.

Illinois
              United States
              Member #99771
              October 31, 2010
              1414 Posts
              Posted: June 7, 2011, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

Hey coin, I'm about 15 miles nw of effingham Illinois.

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10390 Posts
                Posted: June 8, 2011, 1:24 am - IP Logged

shelby50,

You must have been to the Dixie truckstop!

They even printed winners on today's tickets:

Vicky of Springfield won $500 a week for life.

Granted there's a lot of Vickiys in Springfield but I can just imagone someone in a real small town.....

like ttech10 said, going to the site is one thing, but when everyone can see the names and pics on any lottery terminal, that's quite different.

ttech10,

Yeah, the Illinois site has had winners pictures.

Lep

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10390 Posts
                  Posted: June 8, 2011, 1:42 am - IP Logged

Ut oh.

This is from the Illinois lottery webite FAQ page:

Can I avoid having my name released if I am a winner?

To assure other players that prizes are paid to winners, the Lottery makes public the name, home city and amount won. We will not, however, release the addresses or telephone numbers of winners. Multi-million dollar winners must participate in a one-time news conference, but we'll always respect your wishes of privacy as much as possible.

Lep

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                    Clarksville
                    United States
                    Member #487
                    July 15, 2002
                    17638 Posts
                    Posted: June 8, 2011, 1:49 am - IP Logged

That is still too much information.  A crook can do a look up on the internet or facebook.  that is just too much information.   Their picture?  Oh no!  Peggy struck again!!

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3316 Posts
                      Posted: June 8, 2011, 4:19 am - IP Logged

tell em your in the witness protection program, and publishing your identity wil get them jail time

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                        Member #52345
                        May 21, 2007
                        2679 Posts
                        Posted: June 8, 2011, 6:08 am - IP Logged

tell em your in the witness protection program, and publishing your identity wil get them jail time

Twitch

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: June 8, 2011, 6:23 am - IP Logged

How about the "joy" of living in a small town ... and having a name in common with a large winner? Unhappy

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                            Member #105312
                            January 29, 2011
                            435 Posts
                            Posted: June 8, 2011, 9:17 am - IP Logged

I don't know if y'all had this before online, but here in Texas the site has pictures of people who won as low as $1,000 or a pair of tickets to the Cowboys game. Of course, I'm sure those are people who chose not to ask for minimal publicity (or maybe they just didn't know they could). If you do that they only release your name and what town you're from, no photographs.

http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/default/Winners/Winners_Gallery/index.html

Having the picture on the terminal though would be much more of a concern for me, as not many people will go looking through the winners gallery on the site, but with the terminal it's just right there for people to see, even if they aren't interested in the lottery at all.

ttech10:  Maybe it's good news the terminals in Texas [at least in Kerrville, Texas] are so tempermental and unreliable anyone who's tried to use them once ignores them and does his ticket buying in the convenience stores as God intended.  They could plaster that machine with nekkid pictures, addresses and phone numbers of all the local promiscuous ladies who want company and nobody would notice.

I've never seen any information about winners on the rack/cabinets in the convenience stores.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: June 8, 2011, 9:26 am - IP Logged

Ut oh.

This is from the Illinois lottery webite FAQ page:

Can I avoid having my name released if I am a winner?

To assure other players that prizes are paid to winners, the Lottery makes public the name, home city and amount won. We will not, however, release the addresses or telephone numbers of winners. Multi-million dollar winners must participate in a one-time news conference, but we'll always respect your wishes of privacy as much as possible.

"...must participate in a one-time news conference,...

...we'll always respect your wishes of privacy..."

Huh?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke