Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tipping

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 5 years ago by sully16.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
United States
Member #112968
June 29, 2011
3854 Posts
Posted: July 3, 2011, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

How do I know for a fact that you're not a manager from Publix supermarket in Florida, in the Pelican landing Plaza who's spying on me to find out whether I truly gave a customer service rep 50 bucks for picking out the correct STRAIGHT p-3 number for me about 11 years ago?...... HUH?......... How do I know this?...ROFL

I just moved to Florida and a few months later I decided to play all or most of the area codes. As the observant cashier in front of me fanned through the tickets, she noticed the type of numbers I was playing which was about 6 or 7 of the local area codes. She quickly informed me that I forgot one. It was 949, and  happened to be a straight winning number that night. 500 bucks BABY ! The next day I saw her again and told her what happened. I offered her 50 bucks but she was afraid to take it. Understanding why she felt that way, I crumbled it up into the smallest ball I could, and inconspicously handed it to her. I had to, I couldn't live with myself If I didn't do it.

She was so greatful, it was worth every second just to see the joy on her face....

If I was truly thankful, I would've given her half. Oh the tough calls we have to make......

Think about it. Even though it was my idea about the area codes, it was her single area code that enabled me to win.

What would you do?.....Eek

thats cool,but i had a small win when i was down in lantana once and the cashier at starvin marvins had the nerve to ask for a tip so i gave her $2 and said"sterling halo in the 7th at hialeah" and walked out w/out explaining.

Wooddrive's avatar - Lottery-046.jpg
    Delco PA
    United States
    Member #80104
    September 16, 2009
    194 Posts
    Posted: July 3, 2011, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

Selling lottery tickets is a business not a service, stores get 5-6% of sales as their commission and additional credit when they cash winning tickets.  The average lottery player wins back about 2% of what he spends so why should he pay the clerks for good karma out of his winnings?  Thud

i didnt say you have to tip. i've been on both sides of the terminal so i dont  have any preference. everything is a business with service. if they bring you food , service ( business) ,  they cut your hair , service ( business) , atm macines, service fee ( business).  Store OWNER gets 5% on sales, no credit when cashing tixs (PA). players win back 2% ( wish i was that lucky) no one forces them to play. to me good karma is either you can hangout with the a-hole who always belittle your ideas or you can hang with people who say GO for it. besides if i didnt felt comfortable buying tickets from a certain establishment, they get none of my business. "sometimes" sharing small happiness goes a long way.

United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3854 Posts
      Posted: July 3, 2011, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

LOL, I wouldnt know a Publix if I was shopping in one. I'm from the Philly area and we have  ACMEs. anyway great story, I love reading about the little twists and inklings that make or break us in life. the "What Ifs" are truly what gives us hope and persistence in being "at the right place at the right time". good job with the $50, very gracious of you.

wooddrive, from 5th & OLNEY,whats the weather like? just had to sign on 3 times in last 10 min. cause power keeps going out.i think publix is a smaller type of store than acme, but w/ more locs. does acme sell lottery?

United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3854 Posts
        Posted: July 3, 2011, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

i didnt say you have to tip. i've been on both sides of the terminal so i dont  have any preference. everything is a business with service. if they bring you food , service ( business) ,  they cut your hair , service ( business) , atm macines, service fee ( business).  Store OWNER gets 5% on sales, no credit when cashing tixs (PA). players win back 2% ( wish i was that lucky) no one forces them to play. to me good karma is either you can hangout with the a-hole who always belittle your ideas or you can hang with people who say GO for it. besides if i didnt felt comfortable buying tickets from a certain establishment, they get none of my business. "sometimes" sharing small happiness goes a long way.

also i think they used to have some in cinnaminson and delran.along rt 130.

tkr333's avatar - Lottery-058.jpg

United States
          Member #17209
          June 13, 2005
          609 Posts
          Posted: July 3, 2011, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Good things happen to people who think of others! Helping others is what keep's america turning,someone might keep their electric on or feed children,or buy medicine! I dont have no trouble tipping on my winnings!

Good Luck to those who tip on their winnings!!!!

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
            Northern Virginia
            United States
            Member #83350
            December 5, 2009
            1313 Posts
            Posted: July 4, 2011, 9:05 am - IP Logged

I have not heard of this practice.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

United States
              Member #111186
              May 20, 2011
              344 Posts
              Posted: July 4, 2011, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Good things happen to people who think of others! Helping others is what keep's america turning,someone might keep their electric on or feed children,or buy medicine! I dont have no trouble tipping on my winnings!

Good Luck to those who tip on their winnings!!!!

Well said!

Plus, tipping makes me feel good!! Smiley

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6290 Posts
                Posted: July 4, 2011, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Never Tip anyone named Patel, They have already tipped themselves.

LOL....ROFLROFLROFL

Wooddrive's avatar - Lottery-046.jpg
                  Delco PA
                  United States
                  Member #80104
                  September 16, 2009
                  194 Posts
                  Posted: July 5, 2011, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

sorry haymaker, i'm from the philly burbs. yes, acme does sell lottery tickets. actually i think all grocery stores sell lottery if i'm not mistaken. Acme, Giant, Superfresh,Genaurdis,Wegmans, etc...?

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                    Dallas, TX
                    United States
                    Member #60284
                    April 12, 2008
                    3856 Posts
                    Posted: July 5, 2011, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

The store prohibit cashiers from getting tips because they can't get a piece of the slice. Usually I tip them by paying for my tickets with extra and say "keep the change" it's for you. Then it's up to the cashier to take that out from the register later on the day or let their boss have it.

United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3854 Posts
                      Posted: July 5, 2011, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

sorry haymaker, i'm from the philly burbs. yes, acme does sell lottery tickets. actually i think all grocery stores sell lottery if i'm not mistaken. Acme, Giant, Superfresh,Genaurdis,Wegmans, etc...?

down here the only one i could say for sure is shop rite they have 2 terminals, and a vending machine for scratchers.the others we don't have in fact when genaurdis opened it forced the superfresh to close

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                        Member #75358
                        June 1, 2009
                        5345 Posts
                        Posted: July 5, 2011, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Never Tip anyone named Patel, They have already tipped themselves.

ROFL

Green laugh

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: July 5, 2011, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

I have not heard of this practice.

You don't have to practice.

It's pretty easy.

Just say "Here" and hand them some money.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                            Member #47420
                            November 4, 2006
                            3930 Posts
                            Posted: July 5, 2011, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

If the clerk'et has big boobs tiggs tips with a smile..

Pure luck

United States
                              Member #112968
                              June 29, 2011
                              3854 Posts
                              Posted: July 5, 2011, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

If the clerk'et has big boobs tiggs tips with a smile..

now theres something i'd like to "practice"

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.