Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball tickets will be raised to 2 dollars next year

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 5 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
South Dakota
United States
Member #24149
October 19, 2005
23 Posts
Posted: July 15, 2011, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

I was at the local news website for where I live and there was a news report that the price for powerball tickets will go up to 2 bucks next year. That's a bummer. So instead of spending 5 bucks on a whole sheet of 5 powerball tickets. Now we have to pay 10 bucks for a whole 5 sheeter

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: July 15, 2011, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

I was at the local news website for where I live and there was a news report that the price for powerball tickets will go up to 2 bucks next year. That's a bummer. So instead of spending 5 bucks on a whole sheet of 5 powerball tickets. Now we have to pay 10 bucks for a whole 5 sheeter

did they report on the new odds ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: July 15, 2011, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

That was reported here on Lottery Post last month in the News Forum.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/233316

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3854 Posts
        Posted: July 15, 2011, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

That was reported here on Lottery Post last month in the News Forum.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/233316

thanks for the link.that story reported that the odds are just slightly better than MM. what? for double the$ i want much better oddsNo Nod

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2657 Posts
          Posted: July 15, 2011, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

thanks for the link.that story reported that the odds are just slightly better than MM. what? for double the$ i want much better oddsNo Nod

Skeptical bout the better odds ..... more how much faster they can empty the wallet

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23260 Posts
            Posted: July 16, 2011, 9:27 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
              Harbinger
              D.C./MD.
              United States
              Member #44103
              July 30, 2006
              5583 Posts
              Posted: July 16, 2011, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

I hope the players unite and stop playing and send a message.  I for one will no longer play.

Smash

United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3854 Posts
                Posted: July 16, 2011, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

I hope the players unite and stop playing and send a message.  I for one will no longer play.

Smash

only play now when the JP is much bigger than MM.due to odds .

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: July 17, 2011, 1:42 am - IP Logged

did they report on the new odds ?

Seriously: does it matter?

Folks STILL simply do not understand I could give you odds of 1 in 20 and I doubt you pick the number I am thinking of.

One in 200 million, one in 195 million, one in 100 million, one in 10 million, one in a million, odds don't matter when you get beyond 1 in 10. Period.

No, I don't mean if you go buy 10 tickets that one of them will win, my point is they would need to lower the odds to about 1 in 50 million~, and that's not going to happen.

I promise you I will play LESS games when the price goes up.

United States
                    Member #106134
                    February 13, 2011
                    806 Posts
                    Posted: July 17, 2011, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Greedy ba$tards lol

At least it's only going from $1 to $2.

My state's lottery is toying with the idea of releasing $50 and $100 scratch-offs LOL

NYSlugger 777's avatar - 777
                      NY
                      United States
                      Member #54513
                      August 21, 2007
                      6371 Posts
                      Posted: July 24, 2011, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Odds of winning the Jackpot in MM are 1 in 175,711,536

Odds of winning the Jackpot on PB are 1 in 195,249,054

Powerball is the tougher game according to those odds.. The $2 price for one Powerball ticket means that if you match ALL five winning white ball numbers WITHOUT the powerball you will automatically win $1,000,000.00. It makes no sense to me though they had to hike the ticket prices, Since I usually play with the powerplay option anyway so I always end up spending $2 per game anyway.

What I now don't understand is whats the deal with the powerplay option? Does the $2 per ticket change  mean powerplay option will automatically be added on each ticket play? Or do we still have to pay extra to add the powerplay option and if so how much extra? Will it also be $2 extra to add powerplay option to each ticket? If so that means If I want to play only one game of Powerball with the powerplay option i'd have to spend $4 for one ticket which is absolutely ridiculous. Even if the powerplay option is only $1 more i'd still have to spend $3 on one game if i'm playing with powerplay which is still expensive. Or are they getting rid of the powerplay option completely?

Powerball's reason for hiking the tickets is that they will  restart the jackpot at $40 Million each time after the jackpot is won, &  it gives the players a better chance to win $1 Million since you only have to match all five Whiteballs without the powerball to win $1 Million, but it's the same thing with the powerplay option. If I add $1 extra to each ticket I win $1 Million if I match all five white ball numbers and not the powerball.

The $40 Million starting point is good BUT how much money will be added each  time the jackpot is NOT hit? With the Powerball game getting more expensive, odds are a lot fewer  players will play  than before and the money added to the jackpot after each drawing will probaly be the same or less. THe only one who profits is Powerball. ALso if fewer tickets are sold, it will take longer for the jackpot to be hit  and when the Jackpot Eventually hits $250 Million -  $300 Million Powerball will rake in a lot of Money from players. Lottery games are really a voluntary tax and this is a hidden tax increase. If they were interested in making people go for the extra dollar they should Make All Winnings including the jackpot TAX FREE.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: July 24, 2011, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

Powerball is the tougher game according to those odds.. The $2 price for one Powerball ticket means that if you match ALL five winning white ball numbers WITHOUT the powerball you will automatically win $1,000,000.00. It makes no sense to me though they had to hike the ticket prices, Since I usually play with the powerplay option anyway so I always end up spending $2 per game anyway.

What I now don't understand is whats the deal with the powerplay option? Does the $2 per ticket change  mean powerplay option will automatically be added on each ticket play? Or do we still have to pay extra to add the powerplay option and if so how much extra? Will it also be $2 extra to add powerplay option to each ticket? If so that means If I want to play only one game of Powerball with the powerplay option i'd have to spend $4 for one ticket which is absolutely ridiculous. Even if the powerplay option is only $1 more i'd still have to spend $3 on one game if i'm playing with powerplay which is still expensive. Or are they getting rid of the powerplay option completely?

Powerball's reason for hiking the tickets is that they will  restart the jackpot at $40 Million each time after the jackpot is won, &  it gives the players a better chance to win $1 Million since you only have to match all five Whiteballs without the powerball to win $1 Million, but it's the same thing with the powerplay option. If I add $1 extra to each ticket I win $1 Million if I match all five white ball numbers and not the powerball.

The $40 Million starting point is good BUT how much money will be added each  time the jackpot is NOT hit? With the Powerball game getting more expensive, odds are a lot fewer  players will play  than before and the money added to the jackpot after each drawing will probaly be the same or less. THe only one who profits is Powerball. ALso if fewer tickets are sold, it will take longer for the jackpot to be hit  and when the Jackpot Eventually hits $250 Million -  $300 Million Powerball will rake in a lot of Money from players. Lottery games are really a voluntary tax and this is a hidden tax increase. If they were interested in making people go for the extra dollar they should Make All Winnings including the jackpot TAX FREE.

A ticket will cost $2 and you get $1 million for 5+0. 

A ticket with Powerplay will cost $3 and you get $2 million if you get 5+0.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                          Member #61296
                          May 17, 2008
                          187 Posts
                          Posted: July 24, 2011, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

I'm wondering what the payoits will be too. Prob same structure as as before. If you didn't get the PB number right, you'll need at least 3 out of 5 to win anything.. Pretty tough, but I've gotten it a few times.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                            Winning makes me smile.
                            bel air maryland
                            United States
                            Member #90251
                            April 24, 2010
                            4853 Posts
                            Posted: July 24, 2011, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

ONLY 195 million to one odds. Heck, there's only 307 million people in the whole U.S.of A. Good Luck...

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                              Harbinger
                              D.C./MD.
                              United States
                              Member #44103
                              July 30, 2006
                              5583 Posts
                              Posted: July 24, 2011, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Seriously: does it matter?

Folks STILL simply do not understand I could give you odds of 1 in 20 and I doubt you pick the number I am thinking of.

One in 200 million, one in 195 million, one in 100 million, one in 10 million, one in a million, odds don't matter when you get beyond 1 in 10. Period.

No, I don't mean if you go buy 10 tickets that one of them will win, my point is they would need to lower the odds to about 1 in 50 million~, and that's not going to happen.

I promise you I will play LESS games when the price goes up.

Exactly.  Most players  look at the prize and think they are getting a proportional bigger payout for more cost per ticket like it is worth it or something.   It is the counting yer chickens before they are hatched form of thinking.