Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ticket number order and preferences?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Jon D.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2011, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone else notice stores and machines sometimes dispense scratch tickets in reverse order? Like 099,098...000 instead of 000,001...099?

Does this matter to you? Do you have a preference or belief in better hits at the beginning or end of rolls, or certain parts of the roll?

United States
    Member #111186
    May 20, 2011
    344 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2011, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

I've seen them dispensed both ways and I really don't mind either way.

I usually just buy whatever I feel like at the time, regardless of the # available.

As far as where the hits are, I don't scratch often enough to be legit on that.

Of course at times when I'm looking at the tickets, I get a feeling about this, that & the other and base my picks on that.

mt zion illinois
      United States
      Member #110549
      May 6, 2011
      351 Posts
      Posted: July 21, 2011, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

Same here I have seen them dispensed both ways... I usally don't like real high numbers like 299 298 etc.. or real low like 005 004 etc... Because most of the bigger winners seem to be in the middle of the rolls here in Illinois

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
        California
        United States
        Member #112364
        June 17, 2011
        661 Posts
        Posted: July 21, 2011, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone else notice stores and machines sometimes dispense scratch tickets in reverse order? Like 099,098...000 instead of 000,001...099?

Does this matter to you? Do you have a preference or belief in better hits at the beginning or end of rolls, or certain parts of the roll?

Yes, happens to me all the time. It doesn't bother me because I don't think you can predict where in the roll are the winning tickets.

Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: July 21, 2011, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

Same here I have seen them dispensed both ways... I usally don't like real high numbers like 299 298 etc.. or real low like 005 004 etc... Because most of the bigger winners seem to be in the middle of the rolls here in Illinois

Yeah, I prefer to play the middle also.

I used to not mind as much seeing 000 or 079.(our top $5 ticket in CA has 80 tickets) But now I try to avoid them. The big winners seem to show up in the middle 20% to 80% range, and hardly anything good with the few tickets at the ends.

Think about it: If the big winner was claimed at the beginning of the roll, then the clerk or friends of the clerk would know that the roll is now "cold" and would stop playing. Only the suckers would play the remainder of a cold roll. But since the rolls are sometimes loaded reverse, the "beginning" of the roll could be on both ends, so better to hide the prize in the middle. But if it's exactly in the middle, the clerk or friends of the clerk would just have to wait until the middle of the roll when it is "hot" and buy it out. So you would need to spread out the big winner around the middle ticket ranges, say between 1/4 to 3/4 of the roll. Anyway, that is my theory.

Of course, this could all be another deception. Anyone ever seen a top prize winning ticket that stores like to display, with the ticket number being at the end of roll?

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: July 23, 2011, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

It use to bother me at first when the rolls were backwards.... then I won $100.00 on ticket #75 on Bonus Break the Bank now it doesen't bother me...LOL...

California
              United States
              Member #112364
              June 17, 2011
              661 Posts
              Posted: July 23, 2011, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

It use to bother me at first when the rolls were backwards.... then I won $100.00 on ticket #75 on Bonus Break the Bank now it doesen't bother me...LOL...

How many tickets are there in a roll of the ticket?

Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: July 23, 2011, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

How many tickets are there in a roll of the ticket?

Other states may be different, but in CA:

$5 - 80 (000-079)

$3 - 100 (000-099)

$2 - 100 (000-099)

I don't play $1 scratchers, but I think those are 300.

The beginning/ending numbers have a black boxprinted next to them.

California
                  United States
                  Member #112364
                  June 17, 2011
                  661 Posts
                  Posted: July 23, 2011, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

Other states may be different, but in CA:

$5 - 80 (000-079)

$3 - 100 (000-099)

$2 - 100 (000-099)

I don't play $1 scratchers, but I think those are 300.

The beginning/ending numbers have a black boxprinted next to them.

Thanks for enlighten me. I didn't know that the number of tickets per roll depends on the price of each ticket.

Fl3winner's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                    Hallandale.Fl
                    United States
                    Member #63766
                    August 7, 2008
                    13 Posts
                    Posted: July 27, 2011, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

I don't care about what number the ticket is on I've won on high numbers and low numbers,but when I buy the tickets it is usually when I have a feeling on the game I want to play sometimes I win and sometimes i lose. My luck is running really good this month so i really can't complain. I play for the fun of it and when I win it is a nice feeling. I only play with money I don't need for life essentials it is money I can afford to lose.

follow your Dreams and the world will follow youParty

Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #103813
                      January 5, 2011
                      1530 Posts
                      Posted: July 27, 2011, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

I don't care about what number the ticket is on I've won on high numbers and low numbers,but when I buy the tickets it is usually when I have a feeling on the game I want to play sometimes I win and sometimes i lose. My luck is running really good this month so i really can't complain. I play for the fun of it and when I win it is a nice feeling. I only play with money I don't need for life essentials it is money I can afford to lose.

Yeah, that's the ticket! Play at a level you feel comfortable with losing, and let the wins come to you.

I generally take whatever ticket numbers are available, but If I see a few from the end of a roll sitting there for a while, I'll avoid that. Figure it might be sitting there for a reason...

Kensington, Ct
                        United States
                        Member #111581
                        May 28, 2011
                        19 Posts
                        Posted: July 27, 2011, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

Here in connecticut, they go as followed:

$1- 200

$2- 100

$3- 100

$5- 100

$10- 100

$20- 50

$30- 50

My personal preference is that it does not matter. I like some in the middle, but numbers like #98 are good, due to the fact that I won $200 on a #98 a few years back.

mt zion illinois
                          United States
                          Member #110549
                          May 6, 2011
                          351 Posts
                          Posted: July 27, 2011, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Here in Illinois, the rolls have this many tickets on them

$1- 300 = $300

$2 -150= $300

$3- 100= $300

$5- 120= $600

$10  60= $600

$20  30= $600

$30  30= $900

Miami, Florida
                            United States
                            Member #111795
                            June 2, 2011
                            581 Posts
                            Posted: July 28, 2011, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

I remember, early on, only buying tickets in a certain range--but over time I've come to realize that the winners are COMPLETELY random.... I've hit $200 on the first one off the roll (#000).. I've hit a hundred on all kinds of tickets... I hit $200 on a twenty dollar Monopoly on #17,  forty and fifty bucks on different numbers...for the longest time I HATED #22----and then in April I hit $500 on a Gold Rush #22.  It's completely, completely random......

Los Angeles, California
                              United States
                              Member #103813
                              January 5, 2011
                              1530 Posts
                              Posted: July 29, 2011, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

I remember, early on, only buying tickets in a certain range--but over time I've come to realize that the winners are COMPLETELY random.... I've hit $200 on the first one off the roll (#000).. I've hit a hundred on all kinds of tickets... I hit $200 on a twenty dollar Monopoly on #17,  forty and fifty bucks on different numbers...for the longest time I HATED #22----and then in April I hit $500 on a Gold Rush #22.  It's completely, completely random......

I agree that big winners can happen on any ticket.

But I'll avoid the last few tickets of a roll whether it's 097,098,099 or 002,001,000 if they loaded it backwards. One reason is that the roll may have already had big wins on it, and the clerk and the regulars know it. So they just wait for a sucker to finish the last few tickets. I'll skip those and buy another game instead, thank you. But I don't mind buying the first few tickets of a new roll, regardless of them being high or low numbers.

I also don't think the top prizes insertion into the manufacturing and distribution is totally random. That leaves them open for lost profits if the big winners are not evenly spaced throughout the millions of tickets released for that game. There must be some pseudo-random algorithm for the big prize insertions. And as for the spacing of winners within rolls, I wouldn't put it past them to put some trickery in there as well. They obviously like to play mind games in the games themselves, trying to make you think you are close to a win or just missed it. So I would not be surprized if they manipulated the spacing and concentration of winners within rolls to have wide variances and long strings of losers. That would make it more addictive.