Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where would you invest your winnings?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #64582
September 1, 2008
347 Posts
Posted: August 8, 2011, 10:51 am - IP Logged

I was just thinking about if I won the PB and took home the $118 in cash (before taxes).

With the Dow dropping, our credit rating going down, the recession continuing - not to mention Europe and the financial problems they are having... WHERE would you invest your winnings?

Will it be a Bond for a new high school in your town? Mutual Funds that diversify? Stock in Gold? CD's from the bank? Stuffing it into your mattress?

With everything starting to look so bleak, I'm rethinking my strategy.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: August 8, 2011, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Commodities, Real Estate, something tangible.

I'd want to get rid of the cash quick before the moron at the helm of this country destroys that too.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
      Member #52345
      May 21, 2007
      2679 Posts
      Posted: August 8, 2011, 11:03 am - IP Logged

I was just thinking about if I won the PB and took home the $118 in cash (before taxes).

With the Dow dropping, our credit rating going down, the recession continuing - not to mention Europe and the financial problems they are having... WHERE would you invest your winnings?

Will it be a Bond for a new high school in your town? Mutual Funds that diversify? Stock in Gold? CD's from the bank? Stuffing it into your mattress?

Roll Eyes and your just now having such thoughts !!??.......

personally .... I doubt thars gonna be any such thing as a safe investment

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5755 Posts
        Posted: August 8, 2011, 11:04 am - IP Logged

Funny you should ask!!!

I run a pool at work and I made the comment the other day that if I or we won, I would probably install a fireproof safe in my house and just keep the cash. At least I wouldn't have to worry about somebody else or the government losing my money for me.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          41988 Posts
          Posted: August 8, 2011, 11:08 am - IP Logged

Funny you should ask!!!

I run a pool at work and I made the comment the other day that if I or we won, I would probably install a fireproof safe in my house and just keep the cash. At least I wouldn't have to worry about somebody else or the government losing my money for me.

I Agree! Well said.

HyperBe Happy.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            51064 Posts
            Posted: August 8, 2011, 11:10 am - IP Logged

Don't put the Cart before the Horse: Ya Gotta Win First! LOL

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
              Dallas, TX
              United States
              Member #60284
              April 12, 2008
              3856 Posts
              Posted: August 8, 2011, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Green renewbale energy.

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                51064 Posts
                Posted: August 8, 2011, 11:41 am - IP Logged

Green renewbale energy.

Realistically: It'll be a Cold Day in Hell Before Ya Win: And their seems to be no end to the Government Crooks to Fuel the Fire! LOL

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                  Member #47420
                  November 4, 2006
                  3930 Posts
                  Posted: August 8, 2011, 11:45 am - IP Logged

tiggs will probably hire the biggest crook and biggest tax thief Tim Geithner..After that in the mattress it goes..

Pure luck

New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    51064 Posts
                    Posted: August 8, 2011, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

tiggs will probably hire the biggest crook and biggest tax thief Tim Geithner..After that in the mattress it goes..

LOL

DFW, Texas
                      United States
                      Member #78628
                      August 18, 2009
                      134 Posts
                      Posted: August 8, 2011, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

At my age, I'd be heavily in boring but solid broad-based index funds.  I do not expect economic catastrophe, but I do think recession is coming back.  That's good for me because I'm young and recession makes stocks a better buy (lower prices).  I'd stay away from commodities (oil, gold, corn, etc.) except as a hedge against inflation.  Commodities are physical products, but they're also financial products.  They can make you a lot of money quickly, and can bust you quickly.

Bond funds are more conservative, if you're wanting protection against losses.  Money markets are generally very safe, too.  Bank of New York Mellon is actually going to charge 13 basis points on deposits over 50 million soon.  Right now, even straight bank deposits aren't always free.

You want to invest in things you understand.  Exotic things like foreign currencies and derivatives, and really even commodities, are games for professionals.  The professionals make a lot of money from people like you and me, who play games they don't understand.

You also want to invest based on your objectives.  Do you need money to live on for potentially 80 or 90 more years, or are you more likely to have only 20 or 30 more years?

With lottery-jackpot kind of money, I'd be interested more in preservation than in high return.  I'd go with boring, conservative investments: index funds, bond funds, and maybe 5% in gold as a hedge.

I spend only a few dollars a week on lottery tickets.  I'm not big on gambling.  You'd have to find the level of risk you're comfortable with.  But this is what I would do.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                        California
                        United States
                        Member #112364
                        June 17, 2011
                        661 Posts
                        Posted: August 8, 2011, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Probably with a 5 year CD with a minimum 2% interest or with a US Treasury Bond. I would probably take a class on how to invest before investing at a higher risk like the stock market. With CD and Treasury Bond, at least I get to keep the principal guaranteed (up to 250K per bank for CD). With other investments, I run the risks of losing the principal.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                          Connecticut
                          United States
                          Member #61623
                          May 29, 2008
                          20581 Posts
                          Posted: August 8, 2011, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Don't need a million to invest for this penny stock.

Keep your eyes peeled on CBIS(cannabis sciences)..once the feds buckle in 2012 and finally admit it has medical applications,this biotech firm will make some wealthy folks.Hopefully they can keep the money flowing till then.

Particularly now that it has been found to inhibit cancer cell growth(even flat out kill it with certain types)

..and no I don't smoke pot ,..but if you follow the trends we are out of things to tax to death and this issue is massive and has been for quite a while.

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            41988 Posts
                            Posted: August 8, 2011, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

Yep , might as well hire the pros.

HyperBe Happy.

greencobra7's avatar - box avatar.gif
                              belfast
                              United Kingdom
                              Member #68815
                              December 31, 2008
                              10 Posts
                              Posted: August 8, 2011, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

I could keep it for you..........Banana

All great accomplishments of mankind were realized by the fight of the few against the many.

I am choosing to be amongst the few!