Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where would you invest your winnings?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
Republic of Texas
United States
Member #57557
January 9, 2008
1095 Posts
Posted: August 9, 2011, 12:35 am - IP Logged

I'd hire the best pros I could find for the vast majority, let them grow it. That will take some research to find the best. I'm not sure I'd put all with one pro. The whole thing would scare the crap outta me, so I'd have to have full confidence in whoever I chose.

Other than that, I'd also put some in properties like multi family (esp near colleges), and maybe some commercial, & let my son manage the properties. And for sure some gold for a hedge. I'd be tempted to put some actual gold bullion in a safe.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Milwaukee, WI
    United States
    Member #3131
    December 27, 2003
    665 Posts
    Posted: August 9, 2011, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Years ago it was just investing it somewhere and sitting on the beach.

Now it's about protecting enough to live on. Fortunatly with $67 mil after taxes I can lose a lot and still have enough.

Nowdays though you can't be sure that the USA will be there. So gold is the universal currency. USA dollars might be come worthless.

You could lose 75% of your gold holdings. But you would have 25%  and not all of it. But they CAN come into your house and rob you too.

I like Iowa farmland. And a bunch of it in regular market investments. (Trading not holding).

A whole bunch of it would be  donated anyway.

And one of the first investments is still a rural, off the grid place to live. A real survival house and lifestyle  is number 1.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #99032
      October 18, 2010
      1439 Posts
      Posted: August 9, 2011, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Not really sure.  I'm expecting Gold to keep it's climb going for a little longer, but I don't know how long, (I think around 1950) before falling back down.

Silver's down, which is strange because gold has been skyrocketing.  If I won tonight, I might throw a lot of into silver.  I've got no risk of absolute ruin, because even if the dollar collapsed I'd have silver, and if it doesn't silver and gold have never been value-less, so I wouldn't lose all of it, even if all of our ecnomic policies reversed, and the dollar started growing in value.

I'd have way too much considering.  I'd probably throw most of it into commodities, and some into a house or some other property.

addai1516's avatar - lib
        Newyork City NY / westland michigan
        United States
        Member #93153
        June 23, 2010
        4087 Posts
        Posted: August 10, 2011, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

oil companies (BP and shell)  also mcdonads and burger king hehehe i will not work again lol

< God bless all  ,family, love, happiness > 

Sunny California
          United States
          Member #40295
          May 31, 2006
          7712 Posts
          Posted: August 10, 2011, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

In today's world? Ha! In a sock under my mattress is where it would go,lol.

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
            Florida
            United States
            Member #77815
            August 1, 2009
            3460 Posts
            Posted: August 10, 2011, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

I would join the cast of Shark Tank and invest in new start-up companies with a strong branding idea.

Guess Who's Back?

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Chicago
              United States
              Member #70678
              February 8, 2009
              889 Posts
              Posted: August 12, 2011, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

This is a really good question and honestly I have no idea. Not sure what's safe and secure anymore.

Just get me thru this so called life......

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                40564 Posts
                Posted: August 13, 2011, 6:24 am - IP Logged

In today's world? Ha! In a sock under my mattress is where it would go,lol.

Yep

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #115341
                  August 18, 2011
                  8 Posts
                  Posted: August 18, 2011, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

When I was younger, I would have taken the Annuity.  If I won a jackpot, I would not be obsessed with getting rich, as I would ALREADY be rich.  All I would have to do is avoid disaster and stupidity.

These days, I'm torn, although I would love to have the opportunity to agonize over the decision!

Why I like the annuity:  1)  A PB jackpot is guaranteed by the member states, so even if the underlying annuity investment failed, they would fulfill the contract.  More than that, the investments used are obligations of the US government, and they will not default unless the world and the country has come to an end.  Even more, state lotteries are cash cows, and if they stopped paying, people would stop playing:  It won't happen, even if the state defaults on some of its' other obligations.  2)  With the annuity, I would never have to even think about money, as I know exactly when and how much my minimum income will be for the next 29 years.  And I wouldn't spend it all so I could still invest the excess.

Why I dislike the cash option:  1)  When you take the annuity, the state takes the Cash jackpot and invests it before taxes.  When you take the cash option, you will be left with the Cash jackpot AFTER taxes, leaving much less to invest.  2)  When you take the cash payout, you have to put it somewhere.  If I'm already rich, I wouldn't want to take the risk.  Envision the scenario:  You get the cash and invest it broadly, and the next day terrorists explode dirty bombs in financial centers around the world.  Stocks crash, companies go broke and can't pay on their bonds, and the $100,000,000 you've put into CDs are over the insured limits because you can't find enough banks to split it up.  3)  If you hide it; not really practical for safety reasons.  And imagine $100 mill in $100 dollar bills, or gold, etc..  And how much of your time and energy do you want to spend guarding a pile of money?!!!  4)  If you need the income to live on and invest it, you will be watching the market every day, spending your life managing your money.  What a WASTE of a life that could be filled with adventure!

FOR ME, I want to spend my wealthy days living, not managing my money.  I don't even want to waste a moment thinking about money.  The annuity is safe and easy.

One wild analogy:  Say you were in a spacecraft, and the systems on board provided twice as much oxygen as you would ever need.  Then your companion on board says they can modify the system to provide 10 times that amount of oxygen, but there is a .002% chance the system will be destroyed and never work again.  Would you be willing to take that chance?

I can only drive one car, sleep in one house, or play one golf course at a time.  I don't need more more, more.  The minimum MM or PB annuity would provide me with more than I need, so I would be unwilling to take even the smallest investment risk.

Your dreams (or paranoia) may be different, so your choice might be different, but the annuity is a reasonable choice.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                    Member #47420
                    November 4, 2006
                    3930 Posts
                    Posted: August 19, 2011, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

tiggs would build a liquor store at the bottom of the hill on ridge runners road..Sales would be booming there tiggs hears...

Pure luck

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: August 19, 2011, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

tiggs would build a liquor store at the bottom of the hill on ridge runners road..Sales would be booming there tiggs hears...

Dadgum straight and you'd only have to carry one kinda whiskey (Jack) and one kinda beer (Bud) and maybe some spittin' tabacca.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: August 19, 2011, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

Dadgum straight and you'd only have to carry one kinda whiskey (Jack) and one kinda beer (Bud) and maybe some spittin' tabacca.

Senior day will be the 1st weds of every month..But for tiggs palsey walsey ridge senior will be everyday cause he'd be in the store beveryday....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Pure luck

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40564 Posts
                          Posted: August 19, 2011, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

Senior day will be the 1st weds of every month..But for tiggs palsey walsey ridge senior will be everyday cause he'd be in the store beveryday....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Watch out for the Mcnutts, I hear their crazy.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
                            Member #47420
                            November 4, 2006
                            3930 Posts
                            Posted: August 19, 2011, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

Watch out for the Mcnutts, I hear their crazy.

Probably runs in the neighborhood...

Pure luck

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: August 19, 2011, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Probably runs in the neighborhood...

Ain't nothin' runs in this neighborhood like a vehicle with Kentucky tags when we open up with the squirrel guns.

Don't let the sun set on ya here, boy.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke