Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Retailers don't have to pay you for a winning scratch off

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Littleoldlady.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
GEORGIA
United States
Member #64238
August 22, 2008
9553 Posts
Posted: August 23, 2011, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

I bought a $10.00 scratch off the other day and won $100.00.  The next day I took the ticket back to the same station where I bought the ticket and was told that he could'nt cash it because he no longer get a commission on a scratch.  I ask how in the he_ _ you accept my money when i'm buying the ticket but you won't cash it in if I win.  He said he don't have to and the rep from georgia lottery told him since they no longer get paid a commission on the scratch off he don't have to.  Just wondering if anyone else have ran into this problem.  Yes I got my money after I showed out but I will no longer buy a scratch off.  I'm going to email georgia lottery and see if they will respond to see if in fact the guy is telling the truth.

shirbird's avatar - oliana
    spout spring va.
    United States
    Member #73235
    April 9, 2009
    1296 Posts
    Posted: August 23, 2011, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

i never had that problem here in va. you can buy at one store and cash in at another i always thought if you  sell them you have to payout on them to a limit.

GEORGIA
      United States
      Member #64238
      August 22, 2008
      9553 Posts
      Posted: August 23, 2011, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

i never had that problem here in va. you can buy at one store and cash in at another i always thought if you  sell them you have to payout on them to a limit.

I thought the same thing, shirbird, but I had to do some serious loud talking and getting other customers in the store to chime in before he paid me.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5615 Posts
        Posted: August 23, 2011, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

I bought a $10.00 scratch off the other day and won $100.00.  The next day I took the ticket back to the same station where I bought the ticket and was told that he could'nt cash it because he no longer get a commission on a scratch.  I ask how in the he_ _ you accept my money when i'm buying the ticket but you won't cash it in if I win.  He said he don't have to and the rep from georgia lottery told him since they no longer get paid a commission on the scratch off he don't have to.  Just wondering if anyone else have ran into this problem.  Yes I got my money after I showed out but I will no longer buy a scratch off.  I'm going to email georgia lottery and see if they will respond to see if in fact the guy is telling the truth.

I had a similar situation when I won on a Pick 3 ticket a few years ago. The convenience store I bought the ticket couldn't pay me because they don't keep a lot of cash. She told me to come back in a few hours and she would have the money. She did, but now if I have a winner I just go to the grocery store to cash in because they keep more cash on hand.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #99032
          October 18, 2010
          1439 Posts
          Posted: August 23, 2011, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

I had a similar situation when I won on a Pick 3 ticket a few years ago. The convenience store I bought the ticket couldn't pay me because they don't keep a lot of cash. She told me to come back in a few hours and she would have the money. She did, but now if I have a winner I just go to the grocery store to cash in because they keep more cash on hand.

That's a little different - as in - a bit more reasonable.

But it also makes sense that they shouldn't HAVE to cash in the ticket, it's just that they SHOULD cash it if their going to sell them.

This type of thing probably wouldn't happen if they didn't take away commissions, because honestly, that commission is the main incentive for Lottery - even though it's tiny.

Monkey Butt, USA
            United States
            Member #54569
            August 23, 2007
            1124 Posts
            Posted: August 23, 2011, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Nowhere did I see where the retailer did not have to honor the ticket. If this is true then the GA Lottery need to clearly state that so the GA Lottery players can make an informed decision on if they will purchase a ticket or not.

Taken from the GA Lottery website...

http://www.galottery.com/help/faqs

Q. How do I claim a prize?

A. There are many ways for players to claim Georgia Lottery prizes. A player must present a valid winning ticket, along with proof of current address and a social security card. Prizes of $600 or less can be claimed at one of the more than 8,000 Georgia Lottery retailer locations. All prizes, including jackpot prizes, can be claimed at any Georgia Lottery district office or the Georgia Lottery's headquarters in Atlanta.

Q. What is the acceptable form of prize payment from a retailer?

A. A retailer can make payment in the form of cash, check or money order. Before a player cashes a winning ticket at a retailer location, it is a good idea to ask the retailer the form of payment to be given. This way the player knows the form of payment before the ticket is cashed.

How to Collect     http://www.galottery.com/help/how-to-collect

All prizes up to and including $600 may be claimed at any Lottery retailer or from a Lottery District Office the following business day.

All prizes can be claimed at any Lottery District Office.

Winning tickets for on-line games (Powerball, Win for Life, Mega Millions, Fantasy 5, Georgia FIVE, CASH 4, CASH 3, KENO! and Sit & Win games) must be claimed within 180 days after the draw date. For Instant Games, players will have 90 days from End of Game date to redeem or claim Instant Game prizes for an individual Instant Game; thereafter, no claims shall be honored by the GLC.

If you wish to claim your prize by mail, please send a completed claim form supplied by any Lottery retailer, district office or by requesting one from a Player Information Representative, along with your signed ticket, to:

Georgia Lottery Corporation
            P.O. Box 56966
            Atlanta, GA 30343

The Georgia Lottery Corporation is not responsible for tickets which are lost by the U.S. Postal Service or any other carrier.

For prizes over $600, winners must fill out a claim form and present two forms of valid identification. The GLC must be able to verify the winner's identity and Social Security Number (SSN), therefore; at least one form of identification must specifically identify the SSN. The preferred forms of acceptable identification are a valid driver's license with current address and a Social Security card. Please contact a Player Information Representative for other forms of acceptable identification.

Prizes of $600 or less can be claimed at a Georgia Lottery retailer or by simply filling out the back of the ticket and mailing it to the above GLC P.O. Box address.

For more information, call:

770-GA-LUCKY (770-425-8259) Metro Atlanta Only

1-800-GA-LUCKY (1-800-425-8259) In Georgia

1-800-255-0056 (Hearing Impaired-Georgia Relay Center)

1-770-GA -LUCKY (1-770-425-8259) Outside Georgia

Taken from the TX Lottery website.

This is what the rules in TX  says....

Can I cash my ticket at the store? I tried recently and the retailer refused to pay my winning ticket. What can be done? 

All retailers are authorized, but not required, to pay prizes of $599 or less. Retailers are not required to keep cash on hand to pay all tickets. They have the option of paying by check or money order. If they choose to pay by money order, they may not charge the player any fee for the money order.

You may also take the ticket directly to the Texas Lottery Claim Center nearest you, Claim Center locations.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
              Florida
              United States
              Member #104435
              January 14, 2011
              2244 Posts
              Posted: August 23, 2011, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

some small gas stations in fla dont cash winner above $50, only if you buy the same amount of tickets. i guess they dont carry enough cash on hand but at least those places will have a sign up by the tickets that states this. i like to cash my winners at grocery stores anyway, much safer.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

United States
                Member #75358
                June 1, 2009
                5345 Posts
                Posted: August 24, 2011, 12:09 am - IP Logged

That's a little different - as in - a bit more reasonable.

But it also makes sense that they shouldn't HAVE to cash in the ticket, it's just that they SHOULD cash it if their going to sell them.

This type of thing probably wouldn't happen if they didn't take away commissions, because honestly, that commission is the main incentive for Lottery - even though it's tiny.

The know it all speaks again out of his ass. You see, you don't know that much do you? You talk a good game but you lack insight. The reason stores offer lottery is NOT because of the tiny commission. They do it to lure customers in so that the customer may purchase other goods from them. That's where they make their money.

Back to the drawing board for you...again !

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #99032
                  October 18, 2010
                  1439 Posts
                  Posted: August 24, 2011, 12:17 am - IP Logged

The know it all speaks again out of his ass. You see, you don't know that much do you? You talk a good game but you lack insight. The reason stores offer lottery is NOT because of the tiny commission. They do it to lure customers in so that the customer may purchase other goods from them. That's where they make their money.

Back to the drawing board for you...again !

OK buddy stop harrassing me.  Just because we disagree on whether the lottery is random.

I know plenty of convenience store owners.  You're not wrong but some regularly customers play enough for them to make money off of.

And BTW - I meant that without the commission there really isn't enough reason for all stores to cash in the tickets.

You're exetremely immature, just because I tried having a debate with you about why the Lottery is random doens't mean you should go all around and harrass me, you immature..... I don't know what to call you because I don't like calling people names.

United States
                    Member #75358
                    June 1, 2009
                    5345 Posts
                    Posted: August 24, 2011, 12:42 am - IP Logged

OK buddy stop harrassing me.  Just because we disagree on whether the lottery is random.

I know plenty of convenience store owners.  You're not wrong but some regularly customers play enough for them to make money off of.

And BTW - I meant that without the commission there really isn't enough reason for all stores to cash in the tickets.

You're exetremely immature, just because I tried having a debate with you about why the Lottery is random doens't mean you should go all around and harrass me, you immature..... I don't know what to call you because I don't like calling people names.

Just because we disagree whether the lottery is random? Who said the lottery isn't random? You see...this is what I mean, you don't understand what I'm writing here. Just forget it. You believe what you want, who cares....

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #99032
                      October 18, 2010
                      1439 Posts
                      Posted: August 24, 2011, 12:47 am - IP Logged

I honestly don't care at this point what you believe - I tried to explain some amount of math to you, and you end up harrassing me.  Apparently you care enough to come to a random thread I posted in to call me names.  Grow up.  Somebody told me not to bother debating with you - that it'd end up driving you crazy and that you can't admit you're wrong in any situation.

Well now I don't care if you're right or wrong.  I'm going to believe what science and math tells me, and you're going to believe whatever the hell you want - something you've spent time evading, because apparently you're incapable of reasonable debate.  You're whole debate with me was about whether the lottery and other such things are random.

At this point I don't care, just don't be an immature child and follow me around just so you can call me an a**.

United States
                        Member #75358
                        June 1, 2009
                        5345 Posts
                        Posted: August 24, 2011, 1:02 am - IP Logged

I honestly don't care at this point what you believe - I tried to explain some amount of math to you, and you end up harrassing me.  Apparently you care enough to come to a random thread I posted in to call me names.  Grow up.  Somebody told me not to bother debating with you - that it'd end up driving you crazy and that you can't admit you're wrong in any situation.

Well now I don't care if you're right or wrong.  I'm going to believe what science and math tells me, and you're going to believe whatever the hell you want - something you've spent time evading, because apparently you're incapable of reasonable debate.  You're whole debate with me was about whether the lottery and other such things are random.

At this point I don't care, just don't be an immature child and follow me around just so you can call me an a**.

What science and math tells you is subject to change. Don't you get it? Science is a never ending ordeal. No one in the scientific community ever said....That's it folks, there's nothing more we can learn.  You will never get it...I can tell.

New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #99032
                          October 18, 2010
                          1439 Posts
                          Posted: August 24, 2011, 1:26 am - IP Logged

I understand that, but this whole time I've been saying that math and science are subject to change upon proof, not subjective evidence.  Anyway I'm not posting in this thread anymore, it's not about this.  If you want to continue in the other thread without resorting to name calling, I will continue the conversation.

Wooddrive's avatar - Lottery-046.jpg
                            Delco PA
                            United States
                            Member #80104
                            September 16, 2009
                            194 Posts
                            Posted: August 24, 2011, 1:31 am - IP Logged

B O L O G N A !  retailer makes commission when they sell the tickets, not when they cash it. reasons why they wont cash it,  they don't have the cash, saving it for other big winners, you're not a regular customer, etc... I tend to cash my winners at high volume locations where I know they have the cash on hand.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                              Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              40611 Posts
                              Posted: August 24, 2011, 8:00 am - IP Logged

If a retailer didn't honor the tickets he sold I would gently remind him , that I wouldn't be back and that I would alert everyone I know to shop elsewhere.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"