Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:08 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Retailers don't have to pay you for a winning scratch off

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Littleoldlady.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19826 Posts
Posted: August 24, 2011, 8:25 am - IP Logged

A few years ago I was driving to West Virgina through Kentucky and noticed stores and gas stations had signs in their windows that read they would only cash lottery tickets bought there.  I think they had trouble with players on that highway stealing tickets at one place and cashing them at the next one before the system knew they were stolen.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
    Magnolia, Delaware
    United States
    Member #18795
    July 20, 2005
    789 Posts
    Posted: August 25, 2011, 7:30 am - IP Logged

I bought a $10.00 scratch off the other day and won $100.00.  The next day I took the ticket back to the same station where I bought the ticket and was told that he could'nt cash it because he no longer get a commission on a scratch.  I ask how in the he_ _ you accept my money when i'm buying the ticket but you won't cash it in if I win.  He said he don't have to and the rep from georgia lottery told him since they no longer get paid a commission on the scratch off he don't have to.  Just wondering if anyone else have ran into this problem.  Yes I got my money after I showed out but I will no longer buy a scratch off.  I'm going to email georgia lottery and see if they will respond to see if in fact the guy is telling the truth.

They get their commission on the "SALE" of the scratch ticket! Yes, they also get a commission on the big winning (grand prize) tickets that are redeemed for that game, but on the smaller (10,20,40,50,100 dollar wins) they don't! I'd find another place to do business and get away from that oneway money hungry dork!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

GEORGIA
      United States
      Member #64238
      August 22, 2008
      9534 Posts
      Posted: August 25, 2011, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

They get their commission on the "SALE" of the scratch ticket! Yes, they also get a commission on the big winning (grand prize) tickets that are redeemed for that game, but on the smaller (10,20,40,50,100 dollar wins) they don't! I'd find another place to do business and get away from that oneway money hungry dork!

I don't go to that store anymore and I told him I was telling everybody that I come in contact with not to buy any lottery tickets there because they won't get paid if they win.  I also emailed georgia lottery and i'm waiting for their response.  When I get their response, I will post it.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
        The Ville, FL
        United States
        Member #95879
        August 19, 2010
        1708 Posts
        Posted: August 26, 2011, 9:09 am - IP Logged

This particular retailer probably just didn't have the cash to cash it. This used to happen every week to me here in FL. I definitely did not get upset about it at all. After I kinda got tired of hearing about it, I started to  just go to a grocery store as james stated on the first page.

Although the retailer should have handled it differently (said he didn't have the cash), Its no reason to get all bent out of shape. Don't you have a grocery store close by you or no?

Side note - even if he did have the cash, many smaller stores & gas stations are on time released safes also, so that could have played a part

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19826 Posts
          Posted: August 26, 2011, 9:36 am - IP Logged

Most states require retailers to sell a minimum amount of tickets monthly, I would think any retailer who wanted to continue selling tickets would at least do what he could to keep lottery customers coming back.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #74096
            May 2, 2009
            22926 Posts
            Posted: August 26, 2011, 10:05 am - IP Logged

I bought a $10.00 scratch off the other day and won $100.00.  The next day I took the ticket back to the same station where I bought the ticket and was told that he could'nt cash it because he no longer get a commission on a scratch.  I ask how in the he_ _ you accept my money when i'm buying the ticket but you won't cash it in if I win.  He said he don't have to and the rep from georgia lottery told him since they no longer get paid a commission on the scratch off he don't have to.  Just wondering if anyone else have ran into this problem.  Yes I got my money after I showed out but I will no longer buy a scratch off.  I'm going to email georgia lottery and see if they will respond to see if in fact the guy is telling the truth.

I understand your frustration and agree with your feelings on the matter.

If he had said, I don't have the cash right now that would have been fine. Some retailers do not keep a lot of cash in the drawer to pay higher

winners because of the drops they need to make frequently. I would have said thank you and took it to a supermarket (which btw, depending

on the time of day may not have it on hand either)

Your retailer made a choice against cashing it because of what a rep supposedly told him, I think it was more of a personal choice rather than

a rep leaving the retailer to decide.

In PA the signs posted in windows where lottery is sold read: Play here...we pay here.

If they 'can't' pay here (low cash), I would understand more willingly than we 'won't' pay here (inconvenience).

I hope you get the lowdown on things from GA Lottery, it will be interesting to see what they say.

I'd go back in and tell the guy you're not buying tickets there anymore and are spending your money elsewhere. If he keeps that up, I doubt he

will have many people playing there..instants anyway.

It really is not difficult cashing tickets, most places do not give you a hard time and by hard time I mean not having the cash on-hand.

Don't let one stooge turn you off.

I never had anyone tell me the won't cash a ticket. I'd be on the phone in a hurry.

ChaosX's avatar - dnf
              Morris County, NJ
              United States
              Member #114357
              July 29, 2011
              656 Posts
              Posted: August 26, 2011, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

State to state varies, but in respect to NJ, retailers make money off sales of all tickets and make money off of any prizes cashed in that are under $600.

Obviously other states may not include a bonus for paying out prizes.  Perhaps they should.  It would definitely be an incentive to not only sell tickets, but pay out prizes too.

From the NJ Lottery site directly:

5% sales plus 1.25% for payout of prizes up to $600.00

$750 Bonus for each top prize winning Jersey Cash 5 ticket sold

$2,000 Bonus for each top prize winning Pick 6 Lotto ticket sold

$10,000 Bonus for each top prize winning Mega Millions ticket sold

$500 Bonus for each second prize winning Mega Millions ticket sold

$10,000 Bonus for each top prize winning POWERBALL ticket sold

$500 Bonus for each second prize winning POWERBALL ticket sold

2.5% Bonus Commission for selling a top Instant Win Cash Prize

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                rekjavik
                Iceland
                Member #99537
                October 27, 2010
                177 Posts
                Posted: August 26, 2011, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

The truth is that when shops open they have a minimal amount of cash on hand from 100$ or more depending on the size of the shop.

So if you win 100$ or more they can not break the Reg to pay you, and they will ask you to come back later or take it to the lottery office.

This also happens when they change shifts....

So if you have a big payout go to a larger store or go after lunch or around 5 or 8 when they have had a good flow of traffic...

Just an FYI...

GEORGIA
                  United States
                  Member #64238
                  August 22, 2008
                  9534 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2011, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Thank you RJOh-Mr-Smith-ChaosX-dr65 and others for your input.  B$Rizzle I sure in the he_ _ did get bent out of shape.  The clerk did'nt say he could'nt redeem the ticket, he said he's not redeeming the ticket because he longer get a commission.  That's what pi_ _ed me off.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                    Clarksville
                    United States
                    Member #487
                    July 15, 2002
                    17638 Posts
                    Posted: September 4, 2011, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

A few years ago I was driving to West Virgina through Kentucky and noticed stores and gas stations had signs in their windows that read they would only cash lottery tickets bought there.  I think they had trouble with players on that highway stealing tickets at one place and cashing them at the next one before the system knew they were stolen.

That was "everywhere"  in Ky and it drove all of the players crazy.  they even did it for P3 , P4 and any other games.  It was as if they were "protecting" their money.  If you won on P3, you HAD to take your ticket to the place that sold it to you.  I am not kidding..they even checked the numbers on the tickets to make sure they were from their stores!!  It was A CRAZY TIME!!

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.