Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

how to handle this?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
tyedyegoddess's avatar - stargirl
ALBUQUERQUE, NM
United States
Member #115992
September 2, 2011
14 Posts
Posted: September 9, 2011, 12:46 am - IP Logged

Draw was 154. 354 was on my ticket. So I'm proud of that, but because there's $5 on that ticket it complicates things.

The lady messed up my ticket. For one, instead of 618 Str/Box she gave me 616 Straight. Not much one can do about that. But then, she gave me 355 Str/Box TWICE. On the same ticket. I was charged $5 and only got $4 worth. 

I tried to go back and bring it up, and before I could even show the other lady that I was charged twice for the same number, the lady interrupted me to tell me they can't refund lottery tickets and all sales are final. 

That doesn't mean you can charge me for something you didn't give me.

How should I handle this? We're going to talk to a manager in the morning, and it's not about the $1... if I was that broke, I wouldn't spend money on lotto tickets... but that can't be legal, can it? I at least want to file a formal complaint and be able to show the ticket. I didn't cash it in because I want to show it to someone. Part of me wants to just let it go, but I can't just let someone take my money and not even make a stink about it.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

Lurking

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: September 9, 2011, 12:57 am - IP Logged

It's not about the money, it's about the principle.  I think certain tickets can't be refunded like JP games, but I believe daily games can be, and the person didn't know what they were doing. Just wait to talk to the manager, I'm pretty sure the manager will clear things up.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40561 Posts
      Posted: September 9, 2011, 12:59 am - IP Logged

Fill out a playslip, the only errors will be yours.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49791 Posts
        Posted: September 9, 2011, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Draw was 154. 354 was on my ticket. So I'm proud of that, but because there's $5 on that ticket it complicates things.

The lady messed up my ticket. For one, instead of 618 Str/Box she gave me 616 Straight. Not much one can do about that. But then, she gave me 355 Str/Box TWICE. On the same ticket. I was charged $5 and only got $4 worth. 

I tried to go back and bring it up, and before I could even show the other lady that I was charged twice for the same number, the lady interrupted me to tell me they can't refund lottery tickets and all sales are final. 

How should I handle this? We're going to talk to a manager in the morning, and it's not about the $1... if I was that broke, I wouldn't spend money on lotto tickets... but that can't be legal, can it? I at least want to file a formal complaint and be able to show the ticket. I didn't cash it in because I want to show it to someone. Part of me wants to just let it go, but I can't just let someone take my money and not even make a stink about it.

Avoid Clerk Errors: Complete and Use a Bet Slip for All Lottery Play (Even Quick Picks)!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
          California
          United States
          Member #112364
          June 17, 2011
          661 Posts
          Posted: September 9, 2011, 2:01 am - IP Logged

Fill out a playslip, the only errors will be yours.

or use a self service lottery machine. Such machines never give you a dirty look or say something like: no, no, I already count them up.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3104 Posts
            Posted: September 9, 2011, 5:35 am - IP Logged

Clerks make mistakes, the terminal doesn't.

Check the ticket again, maybe one of the numbers is for two draws. 

Let us know how it turns out.

BobP

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              22947 Posts
              Posted: September 9, 2011, 8:52 am - IP Logged

What they might tell you is that you are responsible for making sure what you ordered, is what you got. Check your tickets they say.

Clerks are able to cancel out daily's and pick 4's, either they were lazy...didn't know how to or just didn't want to be bothered. If this is something

they are telling everyone, that is wrong. Why should you have to pay for a clerks error? Most of them do things correctly but then you have the ones

that are too busy to bother with more than what's on their plate at the moment or just cop an attitude and make you think you are in the wrong.

In PA, there is a window of 10 minutes where tickets (daily's and pick 4's) can be refunded/cancelled. They do not do it for jackpot games - MM, PB.

A question..are you saying that you win something for 154 having 354 on your ticket? Is that some kind of back pair play? Or did you want to play

154 and were given 354?

If you get nowhere with the store manager, call Lottery Headquarters. Don't expect much to be done though, seems once clerks get into a slug

mode..they stay there...and LH's sometimes hires from the same slug pool.

Best thing to do might be avoid that store, fill in playslips or use a machine where you are in charge of what you put in and what comes out.

Good luck.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                The Ville, FL
                United States
                Member #95879
                August 19, 2010
                1708 Posts
                Posted: September 9, 2011, 9:41 am - IP Logged

So are you saying you told her you wanted 154 and she gave you 354 instead? Thus meaning you should have won the prize 5 x on that ticket?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: September 9, 2011, 11:34 am - IP Logged

The best thing you can do is learn from this situation.

Never give a lottery clerk numbers orally - always fill out playslips.

Pretend you are dealing with a child because sometimes their IQ is comparable.

Hand them one slip at a time and don't let them rush you.

The same if you have tickets to cash in - one at a time, and sign them or mark them in some way that you can identify them in case they switch them on you.

Don't cash tickets where you can't see the readout on the machine that says what you've won.

Go to a larger retailer or lottery office to play if possible because their employees are usually a little more intelligent and a little more attentive.

And don't let anyone distract you while conducting your lottery transactions - stay focused.

Good luck!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

surimaribo24's avatar - photo11 zpsfffd70be.jpg
                    NEW YORK. RIVERHEAD
                    United States
                    Member #106371
                    February 17, 2011
                    9703 Posts
                    Posted: September 9, 2011, 11:46 am - IP Logged

like other said the gm might tell you a lot of bs . they always say down here in ny check your tickets before you leave the store where you played . if you catch any errors they can basicly canceld it right away .

always check your tickets to make sure thats the number you played before you leave the spot.

tyedyegoddess's avatar - stargirl
                      ALBUQUERQUE, NM
                      United States
                      Member #115992
                      September 2, 2011
                      14 Posts
                      Posted: September 9, 2011, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Thanks all. I had picked 354, and got 354. Back pair gets $5. I'm glad that wasn't one of the ones she messed up. I filled out the slip but their machine wasn't working so she had to enter it in manually, and messed it up. 

When the wind dies down we're going to go talk to the manager. The lady that messed things up is usually really nice, but just kind of... not so bright. I wanted to let it go, but the fact that the machine will let you put two of the same number on a ticket needs to be communicated, and I need to let the manager know about the other lady (who's always rude to me) that was being so rude when I was being polite. Don't interrupt an Irish girl who's being nice. Not a good idea.

We spend a good $300 a month at that gas station, you'd think they could at least be polite in return...

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

Lurking

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                        The Ville, FL
                        United States
                        Member #95879
                        August 19, 2010
                        1708 Posts
                        Posted: September 9, 2011, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Thanks all. I had picked 354, and got 354. Back pair gets $5. I'm glad that wasn't one of the ones she messed up. I filled out the slip but their machine wasn't working so she had to enter it in manually, and messed it up. 

When the wind dies down we're going to go talk to the manager. The lady that messed things up is usually really nice, but just kind of... not so bright. I wanted to let it go, but the fact that the machine will let you put two of the same number on a ticket needs to be communicated, and I need to let the manager know about the other lady (who's always rude to me) that was being so rude when I was being polite. Don't interrupt an Irish girl who's being nice. Not a good idea.

We spend a good $300 a month at that gas station, you'd think they could at least be polite in return...

So at the end of the day did she make you miss out on any $$? From what I can tell you got the back pair which you played and she typed in correctly right?

If thats the case, from now on just fill out your own cards and I wouldnt stress about it. If she did make you miss out on $$ then Id be upset

Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #74096
                          May 2, 2009
                          22947 Posts
                          Posted: September 9, 2011, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

Wait one minute here...you played 354, she messed it up and gave you 154 and you won $5 for your x54 when you should have won STRAIGHT!?!

NO WAY. Is that what you're saying...that you got $5 for playing 354 and hitting 154 because of her mistake....I'd be livid!!

If the clerk is stupid and the management rude, I'd take my business elsewhere. Stupid never gets smarter and rude never gets courteous...even

when 'rude' has a good day, they are only nice for about 5 minutes of it. Who wants to deal with that?

Find a place where they are nice to you, appreciate your business, makes it a point to get your tickets right and show no signs of frustration

when they have to fix something, then keep going there. I have a store where the clerk is practically a mind reader...he knows what I want and

is always happy...I don't know how he does it, he's a mastermind and needs to be awarded lottery clerk of the century.

Good luck!

rhonda69's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                            louisville,ky
                            United States
                            Member #72809
                            March 28, 2009
                            9316 Posts
                            Posted: September 9, 2011, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

dr65  they are suppose to cancel out slips ....a clerk had accidentally hit all tripples and didnt suppose too and she cancelled it or rather voided out ...so u can do that... i do understand ur complaint.

"I am a mere student wanting to be taught"

Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #74096
                              May 2, 2009
                              22947 Posts
                              Posted: September 9, 2011, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

dr65  they are suppose to cancel out slips ....a clerk had accidentally hit all tripples and didnt suppose too and she cancelled it or rather voided out ...so u can do that... i do understand ur complaint.

Oh yeah rhonda, that's what they do for us in PA too...you have 10 minutes to do it. I'm mad because the OP said hers didn't....that's not right.

That's laziness on their part or they don't want to be bothered..or just didn't know how to do it.

That's a real shame that was the excuse used. I know even here they don't do it for PB or MM.