Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Any close, I mean really close at winning the Mega Millions?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 5 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
Member #91718
May 23, 2010
690 Posts
Posted: September 12, 2011, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Does one number count???? If not, the answer is NO!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19817 Posts
    Posted: September 13, 2011, 6:16 am - IP Logged

I matched 5 numbers in 1984 and I thought it paid $862 but I think it was under $700 because I remember whining not only about the low payoff but having to pay taxes on an amount barely over $600. I'm pretty sure the lotto was 6/44 then and the jackpot that night was an all time record. I can't remember if it was before or after they raised the ticket price from 50 cents to a dollar. A few years later they added numbers and made matching 5 numbers a fixed $1000 payoff.

I do remember how I picked the numbers; put each number on a piece of paper, mixed them up, and pulled out 6 at a time.

I felt the same way when I won $1500 for matching 5of6 in 2002.  Even though I had spent nearly $3000 on lottery tickets that year, I could only deduct up to the amount I won.  As it turn out it didn't matter because my $1500 and other loses didn't exceed the standard deduction of $3500 and I ended up paying about $280 more in federal taxes and $20 more in state taxes.  If I won today I would also have to pay city taxes since lottery winnings was added to the city tax list a couple of years ago.

I picked those numbers using an earlier version of the program I still use today. The improved version hasn't done as well yet.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Milwaukee, WI
      United States
      Member #3131
      December 27, 2003
      665 Posts
      Posted: September 13, 2011, 9:32 am - IP Logged

In Sept 2006 I matched PB + 4 for $10,000.

Prize that day was $200,000,000 so I would have won $100,000,000. Sniff......

13 times I have missed by one.

Besides the Powerball ($10,000). 6 times on Wis Badger 5.($50)  Once on Wis SuperCash. ($500) Once On Wisconsin Megabucks.($500) 3 times on Illinois Little Lotto, ($100) Once On Illinois Lotto.($1,590)

Latest was Last week Friday when the Badger 5 Jackpot was $308,000. 2 winners, I would have won $102,000. Cudda shudda woulda.....  The  whole $50 I won went towards a carton of cigs for my wife...

Yes it is really scary when you miss on a huge one.....

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19817 Posts
        Posted: September 13, 2011, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

In Sept 2006 I matched PB + 4 for $10,000.

Prize that day was $200,000,000 so I would have won $100,000,000. Sniff......

13 times I have missed by one.

Besides the Powerball ($10,000). 6 times on Wis Badger 5.($50)  Once on Wis SuperCash. ($500) Once On Wisconsin Megabucks.($500) 3 times on Illinois Little Lotto, ($100) Once On Illinois Lotto.($1,590)

Latest was Last week Friday when the Badger 5 Jackpot was $308,000. 2 winners, I would have won $102,000. Cudda shudda woulda.....  The  whole $50 I won went towards a carton of cigs for my wife...

Yes it is really scary when you miss on a huge one.....

How much do you normally spend in a year to get those kinds of results?

Evil Looking       

Milwaukee, WI
          United States
          Member #3131
          December 27, 2003
          665 Posts
          Posted: September 13, 2011, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

How much do you normally spend in a year to get those kinds of results?

Hard to say. I have a 2 gallon bag full of losers for 2011.

I have  $11 for the next 2 days + $7 for $1 every day on supercash.

myrtle beach
            United States
            Member #108757
            March 30, 2011
            3 Posts
            Posted: September 14, 2011, 4:24 am - IP Logged

I have an awesome story to share but I want to hear of others first. Were you ever really that close that you almost  cried? I will share a ticket and my story later when I post my ticket.

I wanted to get back earlier but life happens, I have to work and family calls. I need a day or two in paradise, I'm dreaming of that.  Heres the story, I chose numbers and one number that I didnt choose is the one that hit it big, would have been the Million dollars or the all the pot  mega millions ( the biggest ever at over $380 million  remember that one) if that number would have moved over!  That one number kept going off in my head but didnt play it was the 47!!!!! This was the very first time I ever played this Mega Lottery. Ive played Powerball only a handful of time before.   Anyway, I play more now and hope for the best.   Do you guys play the same numbers all the time and  for how long?  Just need some good numbers to stick with and whats hot. I switch around alot and maybe thats bad, I dont know.    Now its time for sleep and dreamin of numbers! Everyone have a Dreamy Night!Bed

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7297 Posts
              Posted: September 14, 2011, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Had you played 47 and used it for the bonus number, the result would be the same, but since it would mean matching all six number on the same ticket, I suppose the feeling would be much worse than matching 5 in a lotto game. Maybe even a "where can I find a tall building to jump off of" kind of feeling. The good news is you played the Megaplier so you collected more than a player that had the same matches but played 8 $1 tickets.

"Do you guys play the same numbers all the time and  for how long?"

There are stories of players keeping the same numbers for over 25 years and finally winning a jackpot and those numbers do have the same chance as hitting the jackpot as any of the other millions of combos.

Welcome to Lottery Post!

*A sort of unrelated question, matching 4 numbers pays $150 and if the Megaplier is 5, does the player get a W-2 and pay taxes on the $750 winnings?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19817 Posts
                Posted: September 14, 2011, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

Had you played 47 and used it for the bonus number, the result would be the same, but since it would mean matching all six number on the same ticket, I suppose the feeling would be much worse than matching 5 in a lotto game. Maybe even a "where can I find a tall building to jump off of" kind of feeling. The good news is you played the Megaplier so you collected more than a player that had the same matches but played 8 $1 tickets.

"Do you guys play the same numbers all the time and  for how long?"

There are stories of players keeping the same numbers for over 25 years and finally winning a jackpot and those numbers do have the same chance as hitting the jackpot as any of the other millions of combos.

Welcome to Lottery Post!

*A sort of unrelated question, matching 4 numbers pays $150 and if the Megaplier is 5, does the player get a W-2 and pay taxes on the $750 winnings?

The Megaplier only goes up to 4, it's the PowerPlay that goes up to 5.

Evil Looking