Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Birthday threads are cluttering the forum

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 5 years ago by jaggudada.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7314 Posts
Posted: September 16, 2011, 11:21 am - IP Logged

No affense to anyone but I feel these B'day threads are adding lines and cluttering the forum up and pushing lottery related discussions to 2nd or 3rd page. It would be nice to keep lottery related discussions on forum instead of other jargon which makes it difficult to swift through. If you want to wish could you not send them PM? Please think over it. Just a thought.

Birthday threads don't clutter the Discussion Forum; at the worst they only push one thread with no replies in 4 or 5 days back to page 2. I've seen threads in the Pick-3 Forum pushed back to page 2 on the same day they were started. It's not like you have to open every thread and read all the replies before finding the one we're looking for either.

It's really simple, Maddog does all the work by providing a list of members with a birthday for those who are interested in whose birthday it is and members can offer personal birthday greetings in replies.

You must really be bored finding fault in wishing someone a "Happy Birthday!". The holy grail of pick-3 systems could disappear when lots of members start threads saying "these 220 combos are good for all states" and you don't seem to have a problem with that.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5583 Posts
    Posted: September 16, 2011, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Birthdays are super cool!

Party

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: September 16, 2011, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Stack47

" I've seen threads in the Pick-3 Forum pushed back to page 2 on the same day they were started. It's not like you have to open every thread and read all the replies before finding the one we're looking for either."

(This won't be popular here but....)

I've never seen anything pushed back on any board like any attempt at an actual discussion in Mystical being pushed back, no, buried, by the day's millenia of dream number requests. If people starting such threads bothered to do a search just within that forum they would probably find the numbers for the dream they are looking for, even with a one word search.

When I first came to this board I thought it was very curious that there were so many more threads in Mystical than mathematics, considering this is a lottery board. But the number of dream requests is quite a large percentage of that forum.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary.

Todd,

I mentioned this before and you told me I didn't know how to search. That's not it, we can find any thread we posted in. But anyone clikcing on Today's Active Topics isn't going to find much in Mystical other than dream requests.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
        United States
        Member #103217
        December 31, 2010
        96 Posts
        Posted: September 16, 2011, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Just to be on record, I didn't say that you should not wish Birthdays. I said you could PM or find some other way, opening daily new thread is not the only way to wish someone Bday. Someone suggested to have one thread where people can wish birthday. I'm not sure why any well intentioned suggestion takes wrong turn.

Open one thread for each person if that's going to feel you better.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: September 16, 2011, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

Studies show that people who have a lot of birthdays live longer.

Strange but true.

It's just one of those little mysteries of life that nobody can explain.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
            Member #14
            November 9, 2001
            31361 Posts
            Posted: September 17, 2011, 1:21 am - IP Logged

Slow down.

Happy Birthday

Party

love to nibble those micey feet.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7314 Posts
              Posted: September 17, 2011, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

Stack47

" I've seen threads in the Pick-3 Forum pushed back to page 2 on the same day they were started. It's not like you have to open every thread and read all the replies before finding the one we're looking for either."

(This won't be popular here but....)

I've never seen anything pushed back on any board like any attempt at an actual discussion in Mystical being pushed back, no, buried, by the day's millenia of dream number requests. If people starting such threads bothered to do a search just within that forum they would probably find the numbers for the dream they are looking for, even with a one word search.

When I first came to this board I thought it was very curious that there were so many more threads in Mystical than mathematics, considering this is a lottery board. But the number of dream requests is quite a large percentage of that forum.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary.

Todd,

I mentioned this before and you told me I didn't know how to search. That's not it, we can find any thread we posted in. But anyone clikcing on Today's Active Topics isn't going to find much in Mystical other than dream requests.

"When I first came to this board I thought it was very curious that there were so many more threads in Mystical than mathematics, considering this is a lottery board. But the number of dream requests is quite a large percentage of that forum."

I can't remember the last time I even clicked the Mystical Forum button, but today I took a look. Several of the topics were "Dream, dreams, or dream this or dream that which could be found by accessing any online dream book or they could have used the "Words-to-lottery-numbers" feature on this site.

One topics was 121 pages long with 1805 replies, but I counted 309 replies from the same poster on first 30 pages. I can only speculate at the number of other posts by that member in the entire thread, but if they posted at the same percentage as the first 30 pages, their total would be over 1200 post just in one topic. 

"(This won't be popular here but....)"

I don't know what the majority thought when I gave my opinion that Elites status is a much better measure in the "Congrats to the top 25 posters" topic. If someone predicts 20 pick-3 boxes (good for all states) in 20 different replies every day, I'm not going to congratulate them when they predict a box win unless my goal is to be a top 25 poster too.

*edited to take tongue out of cheek.

JAP69's avatar - alas
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #6
                November 4, 2001
                8790 Posts
                Posted: September 17, 2011, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

We sure are going to miss the posting the day no one has a birthday for posting that day. I look every day to see if it is missing.

I may even get depressed about it. At least for a couple minutes.

MAGA

JAP69's avatar - alas
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #6
                  November 4, 2001
                  8790 Posts
                  Posted: September 17, 2011, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

One thing about birthdays postings here is that all those receiving birthday wishes are supposedly lottery players.

MAGA

Zippy's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
                    fenton,michigan
                    United States
                    Member #23352
                    October 11, 2005
                    6028 Posts
                    Posted: September 17, 2011, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

i am thinking the person that originally started this thread is not on facebook,  it is a daily celebration for all friends wising them happy birthday when it comes...:) get a life, and gripe about something that matters, make a difference in the world........

Your hearts on the loose, you roll them sevens with nothin to lose, this ain't no place for the weary kind

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49784 Posts
                      Posted: September 18, 2011, 10:19 am - IP Logged

Just to be on record, I didn't say that you should not wish Birthdays. I said you could PM or find some other way, opening daily new thread is not the only way to wish someone Bday. Someone suggested to have one thread where people can wish birthday. I'm not sure why any well intentioned suggestion takes wrong turn.

Sending Birthday Wishes via Private Message would be like: Being Home Alone: Sitting in front of Your Birthday Cake & Candles and Singing Happy Birthday to Yourself!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        49784 Posts
                        Posted: September 18, 2011, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Studies show that people who have a lot of birthdays live longer.

Strange but true.

It's just one of those little mysteries of life that nobody can explain.

The more Birthday Parties you have: The more Birthday Gifts you receive.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                          Beautiful Florida
                          United States
                          Member #5709
                          July 18, 2004
                          20119 Posts
                          Posted: September 18, 2011, 10:55 am - IP Logged

blowing out candle   

No disrespect, but I think you blew your birthday candle out long ago.

Birthdays should be celebrated no matter who, or how old you are...!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: September 18, 2011, 11:26 am - IP Logged

I wanted to sing Happy Birthday but I didn't want to spend the $5,000.

In 1935, "Happy Birthday to You" was copyrighted as a work for hire by Preston Ware Orem for the Summy Company, the publisher of "Good Morning to All". A new company, Birch Tree Group Limited, was formed to protect and enforce the song's copyright. In 1998,[10] the rights to "Happy Birthday to You" and its assets were sold to The Time-Warner Corporation. In March 2004, Warner Music Group was sold to a group of investors led by Edgar Bronfman Jr. The company continues to insist that one cannot sing the "Happy Birthday to You" lyrics for profit without paying royalties: in 2008, Warner collected about $5000 per day ($2 million per year) in royalties for the song.[1], pp. 4,68 This includes use in film, television, radio, anywhere open to the public, or even among a group where a substantial number of those in attendance are not family or friends of whoever is performing the song. For this reason, most restaurants or other public party venues will not allow their employees to perform the song in public, instead opting for other original songs or cheers in honor of the birthday celebrant

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                              FEMA Region V Camp #21
                              United States
                              Member #520
                              July 27, 2002
                              5699 Posts
                              Posted: September 18, 2011, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Sending Birthday Wishes via Private Message would be like: Being Home Alone: Sitting in front of Your Birthday Cake & Candles and Singing Happy Birthday to Yourself!

...LOL

Re: PM'ing birthday wishes, when you're having a birthday party do you want the guests to show up one at a time and leave before the next guest arrives or do you want them there all at the same time?

I don't find the birthday wishes intrusive at all.  Seems pretty well-managed and usually under a single thread, thanks to Maddog. ---> Cheers

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).