Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

This Cracks Lotto pick 5, I need your Help

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 5 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
homeland security
United States
Member #82523
November 15, 2009
98 Posts
Posted: September 20, 2011, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

If someone could help me with this problem in excel, then the lottery would be solved!

Look at the below example as this is as simple as I can explain it! Please don’t over think this problem or you will get stuck like me!

Take the three words for example, Cake, Lace, Tape:

In the above three words, the common string letters in each word is “ae”

I am trying to develop a macro that can look at per say these three words for simplicity and find the common string letters amongst the words and tell me how many times the common strings appeared in a list of words- in the above example, the macro would tell me strings “ae” appeared in three words.

I know this sounds easy but what if the words were say 100   letters long?  This is my dilemma!  Lets say I need the macro to find me a 20 string length of common letters among 6,000 (100 letter length words) .

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10344 Posts
    Posted: September 20, 2011, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

think tank,

It sounds like you're trying to apply some Bible Code type approach here.

The a/e's in cake, lace, and tape are string vowels interrupted by consonants.

Are you trying to substitute letters for nnumbders, or actuall trying to find 100 leter words?

The only such word I can think of is the name of a town in Wales, but I'm not even sure that it is 100 letters long.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49618 Posts
      Posted: September 20, 2011, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

If someone could help me with this problem in excel, then the lottery would be solved!

Look at the below example as this is as simple as I can explain it! Please don’t over think this problem or you will get stuck like me!

I am trying to develop a macro that can look at per say these three words for simplicity and find the common string letters amongst the words and tell me how many times the common strings appeared in a list of words- in the above example, the macro would tell me strings “ae” appeared in three words.

I know this sounds easy but what if the words were say 100   letters long?  This is my dilemma!  Lets say I need the macro to find me a 20 string length of common letters among 6,000 (100 letter length words) .

Don't waste our time: If you can't give an actual example: That's exactly what your doing!

Happy Trails to You!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

homeland security
        United States
        Member #82523
        November 15, 2009
        98 Posts
        Posted: September 20, 2011, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Raven u must have time to waist by making that pesimistic statement, go troll somewhere else! U haven't even given me time to explain my concept. Better yet, so I can cease mockery from u and other trolls, if anyone is interested where I'm going with this concept pm me! I'm not going to discuss it here anymore due to trolls lurking

United States
          Member #92933
          June 17, 2010
          651 Posts
          Posted: September 20, 2011, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like a good idea, but No clue on how to do anything with excel. I like paper and pen! ! 

I do this with the daily 3. I use the letters on my phone keypad and try to help it make more sense to me. I've had some nice hits but I think it may have been random.. for example, the last 7 draws of the PA midday. Read from bottom up starting with 634.

393 Not a good system either when we see a 1 or 0, or doubles. Other than that, I will wait and see what midday tomorrow is and try to explain this on the pick3 forum. I caught that 165 below, and it made sense to me but right now you are probably thinking wth.

119 We see 119, and when 1 is involved this really isn't gonna work. I look for more doubles the next draw once doubles are pulled, but that's as far as it goes.

165 so here is the 5, now for the other numbers I would look for something to give us a five, but not a five. Such as 1-6=5 or 4+1=5. This day, I was looking for 165 or 415. 165 HIT. So 165 gives us nothing for the number 1 on my keypad, so I don't use it. I go then with mno for 6 and jkl for 5. I'd be looking for another run on either end, which meant to me to look for 4 or 7. As you can see the next draw was 119 and this made no sense to use this for this draw. SO (go up)

634 m,n,o d,e,f g,h,i-- since we saw d,e,f,g,h,i in a row, and m,n,o I would look for a jkl to run with mno which means look for a 5, but not a 5 itself.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49618 Posts
            Posted: September 20, 2011, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Raven u must have time to waist by making that pesimistic statement, go troll somewhere else! U haven't even given me time to explain my concept. Better yet, so I can cease mockery from u and other trolls, if anyone is interested where I'm going with this concept pm me! I'm not going to discuss it here anymore due to trolls lurking

What? It seems that you are unsuccessful at conveying what you're trying to accomplish and you're unwilling to try! Good Luck with your pursuit! See Ya!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

FL
              United States
              Member #93841
              July 8, 2010
              576 Posts
              Posted: September 20, 2011, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

Post this in the mathematics section, make subject excel macro help or assistance. The right people should see this there.......interesting concept.

good luck!!!

"It's evolve or die, really, you have to evolve, you have to move on otherwise it just becomes stagnant."

homeland security
                United States
                Member #82523
                November 15, 2009
                98 Posts
                Posted: September 21, 2011, 7:09 am - IP Logged

Post this in the mathematics section, make subject excel macro help or assistance. The right people should see this there.......interesting concept.

good luck!!!

thanks Teamprofit and Malie, at least you guys are optimistic, I will post this in the right forum before the trolls come and start planting their seeds of doubt

homeland security
                  United States
                  Member #82523
                  November 15, 2009
                  98 Posts
                  Posted: September 21, 2011, 9:23 am - IP Logged

Look at the following words for a   more complex, yet another  simple example.   Don’t limit yourselves to traditional words:

Abxdfg

Ltrad

Dad

Ltm

As you can see the macro would tell me string “ad” is the common strings and it appeared in three words. The macro would have told me also that string “lt” appeared was a common string and it appeared in 2 words, but the reason why it wouldn’t tell this information is because I had specified only find a 2 letter length common string that appeared in at least 3 words or more.

I can easily right a macro with this subroutine logic for 6,000 words with 5 or less letter lengths long.. but keep reading..

I know this sounds easy but what if the word length is 100 letters long?  This is my dilemma!  Lets say I need the macro to find me a 20 string length of common letters among 6,000 words, which are each 100 letter length. This is where it gets challenging because each letter in a 100 length word can be chosen from A-Z. When I run the macro, according to my calculations it will take centuries to scan 6000(100 letter length words) and find a 25 common string amongst the words.  Any thoughts?

Maybe it's the control logic that I wrote in the macro to decipher each word, which causes the lengthy cross examinamination. I have a quad core processor desktop and it's still taking the calculations a long time to do.  Excel tells me it will take 800 years to complete the examinations Unhappy

it's like technology haven't caught up with expressions I would like a program to do.. Maybe I lack enginuity, but nevertheless, maybe you guys can pitch in

bgonçalves
                    Brasil
                    Member #92564
                    June 9, 2010
                    2122 Posts
                    Posted: September 21, 2011, 10:11 am - IP Logged

Hello, thinktank, then your work, go to the end no matter gives or does not result. This is just my suggestion example of a lottery = 39 / 5 02 15 23 31 36 pp i.i p.i i.i i.p where pp = 02 front of the digit is even and the final digit is even = i.i both digits are odd p.i = digit pair and the front end odd i.p = odd and even four conditions are more then these filters = caption = digits O = odd E = pairs L = low (0,1,2,3,4) H = high (5,6,7,8,9) 1,7,2,3,4 = LHLLL 00EOE 3,1,4,8,2 = LLLHL 00EEE 5,6,2,4,9 = HHLLH OEEEO 7,2,3,4,2 = HLLLL OEOEE   tends to see in five vertical and horizontal positions

homeland security
                      United States
                      Member #82523
                      November 15, 2009
                      98 Posts
                      Posted: September 21, 2011, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Thanks so much Dr.San for your input and I will note advice, as it breaks a two digit number down to a simple 4 condition number.  I see what you are doing, however, my process gets way involved than two digit numbers, and to explain it, would bore you to death. Maybe I can apply your concept if I sit and think about how to adapt it over into a 100 letter length word- maybe encoding every 5 letters into a one digit number.  The letter length word is important to maintain in its entirety.

Peter00's avatar - 82895 253-infinity-gauntlet_super.jpg
                        ny,ny
                        United States
                        Member #111563
                        May 28, 2011
                        747 Posts
                        Posted: October 4, 2011, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

learn java programming. you do that and you can do any thing to an input file or database . in one year i'd say you can master  it. one year of learning will last forever to lotto people like us.

plus java is free. works on any computer.

atlas shrugged.

homeland security
                          United States
                          Member #82523
                          November 15, 2009
                          98 Posts
                          Posted: October 6, 2011, 11:44 am - IP Logged

learn java programming. you do that and you can do any thing to an input file or database . in one year i'd say you can master  it. one year of learning will last forever to lotto people like us.

plus java is free. works on any computer.

Do java programs, run faster than macros? If so, can you make a table, or array as easy as microsoft excel?  This is paramount for the success of my idea!  Excel does a superb job, but it's just too slow!

paurths's avatar - underground
                            Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
                            Belgium
                            Member #19287
                            July 29, 2005
                            2254 Posts
                            Posted: October 6, 2011, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Look at the following words for a   more complex, yet another  simple example.   Don’t limit yourselves to traditional words:

Abxdfg

Ltrad

Dad

Ltm

As you can see the macro would tell me string “ad” is the common strings and it appeared in three words. The macro would have told me also that string “lt” appeared was a common string and it appeared in 2 words, but the reason why it wouldn’t tell this information is because I had specified only find a 2 letter length common string that appeared in at least 3 words or more.

I can easily right a macro with this subroutine logic for 6,000 words with 5 or less letter lengths long.. but keep reading..

I know this sounds easy but what if the word length is 100 letters long?  This is my dilemma!  Lets say I need the macro to find me a 20 string length of common letters among 6,000 words, which are each 100 letter length. This is where it gets challenging because each letter in a 100 length word can be chosen from A-Z. When I run the macro, according to my calculations it will take centuries to scan 6000(100 letter length words) and find a 25 common string amongst the words.  Any thoughts?

Maybe it's the control logic that I wrote in the macro to decipher each word, which causes the lengthy cross examinamination. I have a quad core processor desktop and it's still taking the calculations a long time to do.  Excel tells me it will take 800 years to complete the examinations Unhappy

it's like technology haven't caught up with expressions I would like a program to do.. Maybe I lack enginuity, but nevertheless, maybe you guys can pitch in

Show the algorithm you are using for this calculation.

We might start from there to enhance it.

lasas3

An onion a day keeps everyone away!!!

paurths's avatar - underground
                              Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
                              Belgium
                              Member #19287
                              July 29, 2005
                              2254 Posts
                              Posted: October 6, 2011, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

Do java programs, run faster than macros? If so, can you make a table, or array as easy as microsoft excel?  This is paramount for the success of my idea!  Excel does a superb job, but it's just too slow!

Yes, it is faster, way faster. (ofcourse, it always depends on how you costructed your code, algorithm)

There is no user interface involved, that alone makes it faster.

In Excel, VBA for that matter, you can not use threading, while in java (or c++ or c#, and others) you can use threading which allows different tasks to be performed concurrently. (you'll need to study this in dept, because in java, or a dot.net language) you'll be using objects created from classes (instances) and they exist on their own, without knowledge of the existance of each other), however the good news is that within one process you can use multi-threading which means the threads share the same address space.

etcetera...

In short: excel has its functionalities, but for the real work, you use a real language. And within this language, you can still call and use excel-functions (because it does certain things fast, very fast, true)

lasas3

An onion a day keeps everyone away!!!