Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ethical Question

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 5 years ago by BaristaExpress.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #64582
September 1, 2008
347 Posts
Posted: September 25, 2011, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

I have a friend who works at the library. Someone had used a lottery ticket as a bookmark in a book they returned. Whomever had found it had already checked in the book, so the person's name was unattainable.

Now, this lottery ticket was for THAT night's lottery.

The ticket sat around on the countertop, where many librarians, pages, and volunteers go by. At the end of the night, it was still sitting on the counter, so my friend decided to take the ticket home.

Her ethical dilemma: what if the lottery ticket was a big winner? [Note: By big winner, she means one that is large, but not large enough to pay to do an LLC.]

What should she do? Should she wait a few months to see if anyone comes to the library claiming it before claiming it herself? Should she claim it immediately herself, since it's "finders keepers"? But what if a patron came in afterwards, claiming it was their ticket (they play the same numbers every time) - they could possibly sue her for the money. Yet... how would she know if that person wasn't set up by someone else from the library who had seen the ticket and knew it's circumstances?

This is now inconsequential as the lottery ticket didn't even win $1. However, she wanted me to post this on Lottery Post because she wanted to know your viewpoints.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    22893 Posts
    Posted: September 25, 2011, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Well...had the ticket been a big winner..the ethical thing to do would be to track down who had the book

last...since that piece of information would be easily attainable.

I don't really understand how it was not possible to know who had the book last or prior to the last

person who had it.

Anyway..I think ethics wouldn't play as much a part as conscience would. What if it was a big winner?

There are no ethics concerning an unsigned, unclaimed, lost/misplaced lottery ticket...only if a name

can be possibly be put to the lost item...ie: in a wallet, in an item dropped off at the cleaners or in a

library book.

The right thing to do wouldn't matter as much as the question: 'Oh great, now what'? would...for

certain people if it turned out to be a big winner.

Like a $20 bill laying on the floor somewhere..if you're going to wonder who is watching you pick it up,

wondering who will approach you later and say it's theirs or wonder if you are being set-up...then

you better just keep on walking and act like you didn't see it at all. Same goes for a lottery ticket.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: September 25, 2011, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

That's a tough one!

She couldn't put up a notice saying a winning ticket was found and the owner had to describe it because anybody could just get the winning numbers and come in for it.

I guess it would come down to intent and dealing with the karma from that and what she did with the money.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49725 Posts
        Posted: September 26, 2011, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

I have a friend who works at the library. Someone had used a lottery ticket as a bookmark in a book they returned. Whomever had found it had already checked in the book, so the person's name was unattainable.

Now, this lottery ticket was for THAT night's lottery.

The ticket sat around on the countertop, where many librarians, pages, and volunteers go by. At the end of the night, it was still sitting on the counter, so my friend decided to take the ticket home.

Her ethical dilemma: what if the lottery ticket was a big winner? [Note: By big winner, she means one that is large, but not large enough to pay to do an LLC.]

What should she do? Should she wait a few months to see if anyone comes to the library claiming it before claiming it herself? Should she claim it immediately herself, since it's "finders keepers"? But what if a patron came in afterwards, claiming it was their ticket (they play the same numbers every time) - they could possibly sue her for the money. Yet... how would she know if that person wasn't set up by someone else from the library who had seen the ticket and knew it's circumstances?

This is now inconsequential as the lottery ticket didn't even win $1. However, she wanted me to post this on Lottery Post because she wanted to know your viewpoints.

Finder Keepers is a Childhood Myth: In the adult world: Lost things of value are returned to their owners!

In cases like this: Follow the Golden Rule: If you lost something of value: You'd want the finder to return the item to you.

PS: In Modern Libraries: The librarian can pull up the Title of a Book and tell who checked out the book.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40422 Posts
          Posted: September 26, 2011, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Do the right thing, it will come back to you times 3.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
            Connecticut
            United States
            Member #61623
            May 29, 2008
            20581 Posts
            Posted: September 26, 2011, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

if it's a QP,I'd keep it....but if they were picked numbers,chances are the person would realise it and step foreward.

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19825 Posts
              Posted: September 26, 2011, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

I would wait to see if it won first, because chances are it won't win anything like 95% of all lottery tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                North Carolina
                United States
                Member #64582
                September 1, 2008
                347 Posts
                Posted: September 26, 2011, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Finder Keepers is a Childhood Myth: In the adult world: Lost things of value are returned to their owners!

In cases like this: Follow the Golden Rule: If you lost something of value: You'd want the finder to return the item to you.

PS: In Modern Libraries: The librarian can pull up the Title of a Book and tell who checked out the book.

Actually, no. There is a limit of 5 minutes at most where they can see who checked the book out. After that, it's automatically deleted due to privacy laws.

And they didn't discover the lottery ticket until after the time period was gone.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7309 Posts
                  Posted: September 27, 2011, 10:49 am - IP Logged

It's a little bit different than finding a Twenty dollar bill book mark because somebody knows they bought the ticket and where. I'd give them a month to come back and claim the ticket but I wouldn't put up a "Found lottery ticket used as bookmark" message on the Library bulletin board.

New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49725 Posts
                    Posted: September 27, 2011, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Actually, no. There is a limit of 5 minutes at most where they can see who checked the book out. After that, it's automatically deleted due to privacy laws.

And they didn't discover the lottery ticket until after the time period was gone.

Someone with higher Library System Authority could/can View the Book Records after 5 minutes!

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                      The Ville, FL
                      United States
                      Member #95879
                      August 19, 2010
                      1708 Posts
                      Posted: September 27, 2011, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

If it was a big winner, I'd def try and track down the rightfull owner. You have to think about this for a second. What if it was a big winner and someone else claimed it? Then that person would always have to remember that at any given time, the rightfull owner could come looking for that winning ticket. It opens a whole can or worms down the road, like lawsuits, hatred, etc.

Who knows, the rightfull owner could end up rewarding the finder if they are honest.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: September 27, 2011, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

There are supposed to be records kept for Obama's Patriot Act.

He wants to know what books everybody checks out of the library.

Bush had the Patriot Act expire after his term.

But Obama extended it.

--Edmund Burke

New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #17843
                          June 28, 2005
                          49725 Posts
                          Posted: September 27, 2011, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

There are supposed to be records kept for Obama's Patriot Act.

He wants to know what books everybody checks out of the library.

Bush had the Patriot Act expire after his term.

But Obama extended it.

When was the last time you heard about any Government Run Agency care about anyones Right to Privacy?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: September 27, 2011, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

When was the last time you heard about any Government Run Agency care about anyones Right to Privacy?

Last time?

I ain't never heard about no time!

--Edmund Burke

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                              Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #94283
                              July 17, 2010
                              2284 Posts
                              Posted: September 27, 2011, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

I don't believe that Finders Keepers is a widely recognized legal concept.

I'd find a lawyer.  Hopefully you could tell the lottery commission you found it and they could look for the owner.  They know where the ticket was purchased and what day and time, so if someone came forward knowing that info, along with the title of the book it was found in, they're probably the rightful owner.  I'd use a lawyer because if no one did come forward, I'd want an agreement in place that ownership was transferred to me as the Finder before the time to claim the ticket had expired.