Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ethical Question

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 5 years ago by BaristaExpress.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: September 27, 2011, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

It also could be that the library was being plagued by an employee stealing things and it was all a setup and recorded just to see who the thief was.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
    Member #47420
    November 4, 2006
    3930 Posts
    Posted: September 27, 2011, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

It also could be that the library was being plagued by an employee stealing things and it was all a setup and recorded just to see who the thief was.

ridger babe amazing just amazing...Joe Friday has nothing on you and could learn from someone like you..Nice going ridger babe..tiggs is empressed..

Pure luck

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
      Tx
      United States
      Member #4570
      May 4, 2004
      5180 Posts
      Posted: September 27, 2011, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

A winning ticket that you found claim the prize as soon as possible.

When you claim a jackpot if the previous owner of the ticket knows what numbers were on the lost ticket and checks he or she might think that there might be a chance that the ticket used for the claim might have been the lost ticket and he or she might tell the state lottery that the lottery prize might be his or hers.

The state lottery might then do an investigation.

On the ticket there is the number of the retailer so they would ask each of them where they bought the ticket, the time etc.

Whoever gives the right answers would be the owner of the ticket.

The store where the ticket was bought might have a video camera and they might keep the videos for at least a few days, but if not, no big thing.

You have to claim the jackpot prize before the owner can stake his or her own claim to it.

So if a lower prize maybe the prize is yours unless the person who lost the ticket checks to see if any prize was won by the ticket and if the state lottery checks and investigates all the tickets and winners of the particular prize range, which could be from just a few to thousands.

But my point is that the owner of the ticket can't get his or her prize money unless you first claim the prize.

If you claim and get the money and there are no other claims then or later on your prize then the money stays yours otherwise you give the money back or it is taken from you and given to the other person.

But the one thing that you should not do is going around telling everybody that you found a winning ticket and that you are looking for its owner and neither should you tell the state lottery either, let the owner make his or her claim.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
        Magnolia, Delaware
        United States
        Member #18795
        July 20, 2005
        789 Posts
        Posted: September 28, 2011, 10:39 am - IP Logged

I have a friend who works at the library. Someone had used a lottery ticket as a bookmark in a book they returned. Whomever had found it had already checked in the book, so the person's name was unattainable.

Now, this lottery ticket was for THAT night's lottery.

The ticket sat around on the countertop, where many librarians, pages, and volunteers go by. At the end of the night, it was still sitting on the counter, so my friend decided to take the ticket home.

Her ethical dilemma: what if the lottery ticket was a big winner? [Note: By big winner, she means one that is large, but not large enough to pay to do an LLC.]

What should she do? Should she wait a few months to see if anyone comes to the library claiming it before claiming it herself? Should she claim it immediately herself, since it's "finders keepers"? But what if a patron came in afterwards, claiming it was their ticket (they play the same numbers every time) - they could possibly sue her for the money. Yet... how would she know if that person wasn't set up by someone else from the library who had seen the ticket and knew it's circumstances?

This is now inconsequential as the lottery ticket didn't even win $1. However, she wanted me to post this on Lottery Post because she wanted to know your viewpoints.

First off people most state lottery tickets are "BEARER INSTRUMENTS". That in it self "BY LAW" makes that lost lottery ticket "MINE" if it "WASN'T SIGNED".

I'm only going by the law and the law will always win out in a court of law! The Law is The Law and any judge will state that fact to you when you break it!! And the judge will also make that same statement when the law is on your side and the other party loses their case!! So all of this BULLSH*T about being ETHICAL is just that BULLSH*T!!!!!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Delaware
          United States
          Member #93503
          July 1, 2010
          453 Posts
          Posted: September 28, 2011, 10:42 am - IP Logged

This is why you sign the back of your tickets!

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: September 28, 2011, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

First off people most state lottery tickets are "BEARER INSTRUMENTS". That in it self "BY LAW" makes that lost lottery ticket "MINE" if it "WASN'T SIGNED".

I'm only going by the law and the law will always win out in a court of law! The Law is The Law and any judge will state that fact to you when you break it!! And the judge will also make that same statement when the law is on your side and the other party loses their case!! So all of this BULLSH*T about being ETHICAL is just that BULLSH*T!!!!!

Cash is also a bearer instrument. Do you think that lost cash belongs to whoever finds it?

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
              Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: September 28, 2011, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

Cash is also a bearer instrument. Do you think that lost cash belongs to whoever finds it?

"YES I DO"

As long as it wasn't attached to a wallet or a bank bag with the daily receipts from a business!!! And I will point out to a person if I saw them drop the money out of their pocket in front of me at the counter while paying for something! Now other than that if I find a 5, 10, 20 and so on in the parking lot or on the floor of a store then it's "GAME ON" and I will lay claim to it!

There are some things that just go unsaid and then there are others that's a given! And as always there are some people like KY Floyd, who try to blurr/lump everything together. So KY Floyd go bark up another tree to preach your holier than thou sh*t to someone else!!!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up