Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have self-serve lottery machines, but can't pay out any tickets? (Rite-Aid in Ohio)

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 5 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #115803
August 28, 2011
127 Posts
Posted: October 12, 2011, 2:42 am - IP Logged

All of the Rite-Aids in my area have the self-service lottery machines for both online games and scratch-offs.

For those of you not familiar with Ohio's machines, you can also check your ticket.  If you have a winner, you can take credit in the machine, or else you can turn in the ticket for cash with a clerk.

Normally if its just a few dollars, I take credit in the machine and use it to buy my tickets for the next drawing.

Recently I won $70 in the Classic Lotto drawing.  The machine won't let you take credit for that amount.  (Not that I'd want to anyhow!)

I took it up to the clerk.  He checked with the manager, and they both said that they don't have any way to cash out lottery tickets of any amount.  (Even if my win had been $5 and not $70.)  I don't understand how they can be a licensed lottery retailer, but not have any way to cash in a ticket with a live clerk?

Anyone else encounter this?  I've only ever seen it at Rite-Aid.  Any other retailer with a self-serve machine also has a clerk who will cash out your ticket if necessary, in my observation.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
    Member #32537
    February 12, 2006
    698 Posts
    Posted: October 12, 2011, 5:56 am - IP Logged

its up to ever state on who a lottery seller. and what rules they have for their sellers

a email to your state asking wtf going on with that stuff do, is your best option.

sounds like your rite aid is jsut stupid thro

in tn, the rules is if they agree to be a lottery retailer, They must  if requested, pay out all amounts below whatever that 500ish mark  before you have to go to a Lottery Office to claim it. even via  money order , check etc.

i look at rules of being a lotter seller in your state if you want more info.

http://www.ohiolottery.com/Retailers/

ether the rite aid not doing their job, or your state sucks at making sure people get their money and just have machines do it rofl.

thro if your state sells lottery tickets in grocery stores like mine

that's where i cash all my tickets anyway,"they got the cash" so i remb form now on you save big winners for when your buying food.

,  as  if i ever get line,  they don't have the money or can't cash x amount , "yet to happen to me,  "thro if it did,  i point to all cash Registers and say, Go fetch the money.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
      Clarksville
      United States
      Member #487
      July 15, 2002
      17638 Posts
      Posted: October 12, 2011, 6:14 am - IP Logged

All of the Rite-Aids in my area have the self-service lottery machines for both online games and scratch-offs.

For those of you not familiar with Ohio's machines, you can also check your ticket.  If you have a winner, you can take credit in the machine, or else you can turn in the ticket for cash with a clerk.

Normally if its just a few dollars, I take credit in the machine and use it to buy my tickets for the next drawing.

Recently I won $70 in the Classic Lotto drawing.  The machine won't let you take credit for that amount.  (Not that I'd want to anyhow!)

I took it up to the clerk.  He checked with the manager, and they both said that they don't have any way to cash out lottery tickets of any amount.  (Even if my win had been $5 and not $70.)  I don't understand how they can be a licensed lottery retailer, but not have any way to cash in a ticket with a live clerk?

Anyone else encounter this?  I've only ever seen it at Rite-Aid.  Any other retailer with a self-serve machine also has a clerk who will cash out your ticket if necessary, in my observation.

You should send this email of yours to your lottery as a complaint or send it to your governor.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40293 Posts
        Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:53 am - IP Logged

I would give someone else my business, thats just wrong.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
          Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: October 12, 2011, 9:08 am - IP Logged

I would report them as fast as possible! If they sell lottery tickets they have to cash them since they are winning tickets! I'd report them and then take my business some where else for good measure!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7295 Posts
            Posted: October 12, 2011, 9:41 am - IP Logged

We have similar vending machines in KY, but I've only seen them in stores that also have the regular lottery terminals. If your Rite-Aid store doesn't have a terminal too, they can't cash your ticket.

I had a problem with the playslip reader in one of those machines and had to buy scratch-offs because the store couldn't refund the money I put in the machine. Those machines are fine if you're buying scratch-offs, but I won't be putting $10 in one of them to buy any online game tickets.

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49619 Posts
              Posted: October 12, 2011, 11:33 am - IP Logged

You should send this email of yours to your lottery as a complaint or send it to your governor.

I Agree! The Ohio Lottery Commissioner & the Ohio Governor may not read Lottery Post: Contacting the Ohio Lottery Commission directly is the only way to get action on your concern! Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: October 12, 2011, 11:52 am - IP Logged

Contact the Ohio Lottery. Complain and ask how they will remedy the problem.

Tell Rite-Aid you are taking your business elsewhere.

Let us know what happens.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10344 Posts
                  Posted: October 12, 2011, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

It's no mystery that the lotteries are very well aware that most lower prizes go right back into buying more tickets but this is kind of forcing that to be the case.

The best that could come out of this though is that such machines will have to have signs posted about only being able to pay out prizes or give credit under a certain amount.

Once again, these stores are groceries, drug stores, convenience marts, liquor stores, gas stations, etc...

They are not in the lottery business, they are not lottery stores. Lottery is just a sideline.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19816 Posts
                    Posted: October 12, 2011, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

These are the rules for cashing in your tickets posted on the Ohio Lottery website:

If you win up to $599, proceed to any retailer location for immediate payment of your prize.

If you win between $600 and $5,000, take your winning ticket to a retailer location, where you will receive a Pay to Bearer ticket. At this point, you have two options: Obtain a claim form from the agent retailer, or download one. Follow the instructions carefully. Your retailer will have a list of bank-cashing locations in your area where you may receive payment by presenting proper identification.

Rite-Aid stores aren't following these rules and probably don't have a terminal so they can verify tickets for payment by them or a bank.  They should at least post a sign letting ticket buyers know that in advance. 

I've never brought a ticket at Rite-Aid but I have brought winning tickets at Mom and Pop stores that claimed they didn't carry enough cash to pay them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10344 Posts
                      Posted: October 12, 2011, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Is it just Rite-Aid's fault?

Isn't the lottey aware of any outlet selling tickets that has a dispensing machine and not a terminal?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                        Member #115803
                        August 28, 2011
                        127 Posts
                        Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for all the input everyone.

It does sound like its just a weird Rite Aid machine quirk.  Hmmn...I wonder if its all Rite Aids or just the one closest to my house?  (I buy tickets there frequently, because I like using the self-serve machines for the most part.)

I wouldn't have necessarily expected them to have a lot of cash on hand to pay out winners, but from what the clerk told me he wouldn't even be able to pay out a $2 winner.  Seemed odd to me.

My winning ticket was only $70, so I wouldn't even think that amount should be unreasonable to most lottery retailers.

BTW - there is a gas station across the street from the Rite Aid, so I just took it over there.

I may ask the lottery commission if that is typical or not to have a machine but not a terminal.  First, I'd like to see if it is all local Rite Aids, or just that specific one.

Part of me is wondering if the clerk and manager on duty were just clueless too?

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7295 Posts
                          Posted: October 12, 2011, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

Is it just Rite-Aid's fault?

Isn't the lottey aware of any outlet selling tickets that has a dispensing machine and not a terminal?

It sounds like the Ohio Lottery is putting self-service vending machines in stores without regular lottery terminals. KY has similar vending machines and instructions on the machine are simple; the machines only give credits for purchases. The idea is obvious, it's for scratch-off players. The machines do have online games, but it's either buy QPs or use playslips.

If the machine only gives credits for future play, why would anyone go there to cash a $70 winner?

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7295 Posts
                            Posted: October 12, 2011, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for all the input everyone.

It does sound like its just a weird Rite Aid machine quirk.  Hmmn...I wonder if its all Rite Aids or just the one closest to my house?  (I buy tickets there frequently, because I like using the self-serve machines for the most part.)

I wouldn't have necessarily expected them to have a lot of cash on hand to pay out winners, but from what the clerk told me he wouldn't even be able to pay out a $2 winner.  Seemed odd to me.

My winning ticket was only $70, so I wouldn't even think that amount should be unreasonable to most lottery retailers.

BTW - there is a gas station across the street from the Rite Aid, so I just took it over there.

I may ask the lottery commission if that is typical or not to have a machine but not a terminal.  First, I'd like to see if it is all local Rite Aids, or just that specific one.

Part of me is wondering if the clerk and manager on duty were just clueless too?

"Part of me is wondering if the clerk and manager on duty were just clueless too?"

It's no different than any store with vending machines that are not responsible for the machines. In this case the Ohio Lottery is the vendor and I'm betting there are instructions on the machine for cashing tickets.

"BTW - there is a gas station across the street from the Rite Aid, so I just took it over there."

Problem solved!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19816 Posts
                              Posted: October 12, 2011, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

"Part of me is wondering if the clerk and manager on duty were just clueless too?"

It's no different than any store with vending machines that are not responsible for the machines. In this case the Ohio Lottery is the vendor and I'm betting there are instructions on the machine for cashing tickets.

"BTW - there is a gas station across the street from the Rite Aid, so I just took it over there."

Problem solved!

I wonder who's getting the 5% commission for selling the tickets.  It seems to me the retailers cashing those tickets should get something or they'll start putting up signs like ones I saw in some Kentucky stores - "Only cash lottery tickets bought here".

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking