Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have self-serve lottery machines, but can't pay out any tickets? (Rite-Aid in Ohio)

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 5 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: October 12, 2011, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

nsv314,

"Part of me is wondering if the clerk and manager on duty were just clueless too?"

If there's no terminal, thus no provision - or reason - for paying lottery tickets and they paid them it would look like someone had their hand in the till when it's time to do the daily tally.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7295 Posts
    Posted: October 13, 2011, 11:02 am - IP Logged

I wonder who's getting the 5% commission for selling the tickets.  It seems to me the retailers cashing those tickets should get something or they'll start putting up signs like ones I saw in some Kentucky stores - "Only cash lottery tickets bought here".

It's the same as any large chain selling lottery tickets; the parent company gets the commission. Having self-service scratch-off vending machines that sell online games too in stores without regular terminals is a bad idea for a number of reasons. The machines in KY scan the tickets and gives credits for the amount of the winnings so we'll probably see some players taking the scanmed tickets to other machines or to regular terminals and trying to cash them again. The waste baskets next to these machines have scanned winners in them.

Buying tickets at one store and having to cash them in another doesn't make any sense either. The machines I saw in KY are in stores that have terminals so players can cash the larger scratch-off prizes and/or whatever online game winning tickets they have.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19816 Posts
      Posted: October 13, 2011, 11:33 am - IP Logged

It's the same as any large chain selling lottery tickets; the parent company gets the commission. Having self-service scratch-off vending machines that sell online games too in stores without regular terminals is a bad idea for a number of reasons. The machines in KY scan the tickets and gives credits for the amount of the winnings so we'll probably see some players taking the scanmed tickets to other machines or to regular terminals and trying to cash them again. The waste baskets next to these machines have scanned winners in them.

Buying tickets at one store and having to cash them in another doesn't make any sense either. The machines I saw in KY are in stores that have terminals so players can cash the larger scratch-off prizes and/or whatever online game winning tickets they have.

Sounds like a case of "buyers beware", I avoid buying tickets at any stores that don't carry enough cash to pay for the winners they sell.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: October 13, 2011, 11:41 am - IP Logged

I better stay away from those lottery machines if I ever see them.

I have no tolerance for anybody or anything not holding up their end of a bargain.

If I give a person or machine money in exchange for a product or a service, I expect to get it.

I'm sure the winning tickets bought from that machine tell you that you won MONEY - not CREDITS to buy more tickets.

I have sent a number of newspaper vending machines and payphones to meet their maker for ripping me off in the past.

I'd better avoid those lottery machines.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
          Ohio
          United States
          Member #49980
          February 21, 2007
          34096 Posts
          Posted: October 13, 2011, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

You can go to any Lottery Retailer and Cash your ticket up to 599 if they have the Funds.  Some stores don't have all that money especially if they got a few winners already.  I have took my winning tickets to several stores before anyone would cash my ticket it happens like that sometimes. They have a lot of those self-serve in many stores, I didn't know Rite-aid had them.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

United States
            Member #115803
            August 28, 2011
            127 Posts
            Posted: October 13, 2011, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

"Part of me is wondering if the clerk and manager on duty were just clueless too?"

It's no different than any store with vending machines that are not responsible for the machines. In this case the Ohio Lottery is the vendor and I'm betting there are instructions on the machine for cashing tickets.

"BTW - there is a gas station across the street from the Rite Aid, so I just took it over there."

Problem solved!

No, there are not instructions posted on the machine.

When you scan a winning ticket, a message pops up on the screen that says "Congratulations!  $X winner.  To receive credit in this machine, scan ticket again.  To receive cash, present ticket to clerk."

United States
              Member #115803
              August 28, 2011
              127 Posts
              Posted: October 13, 2011, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

You can go to any Lottery Retailer and Cash your ticket up to 599 if they have the Funds.  Some stores don't have all that money especially if they got a few winners already.  I have took my winning tickets to several stores before anyone would cash my ticket it happens like that sometimes. They have a lot of those self-serve in many stores, I didn't know Rite-aid had them.

Not sure what part of the state you're in Marcie, but all of the Rite Aids the Toledo area have them.

The Kroger, Giant Eagle, and Meijer grocery stores around Toledo do as well.l.  However, those stores also have terminals at their customer service desks.

Methinks that if I want to use a self-serve machine, I'll stick to one of those stores.

Thanks for all the input folks!

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7295 Posts
                Posted: October 15, 2011, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Sounds like a case of "buyers beware", I avoid buying tickets at any stores that don't carry enough cash to pay for the winners they sell.

Or "read the fine print" because we have to buy a ticket to find out how to cash winners and then we have to find out which lottery retailers have enough money. If retailers have the option to only cash winners sold in their store than all stores should have the means to cash the winners they sold.

Ohio tried self-serve lottery terminals over 20 years ago and proved to be a bad idea so it looks like they recycled another bad idea.

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  699 Posts
                  Posted: October 15, 2011, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

My state(LA) doesn't have self service machines.  However, when the lottery first started up here 20 years ago, there was a chain of convenience stores that wouldn't redeem winning tickets.  They would only exchange winners for more tickets but not give cash.  I should have filed a complaint on them, but did not do so.   Instead, I just stopped buying tickets from any branch of that convenience store chain.

When it comes to redeeming tickets, and it's a larger amount, I will go to a larger place, like a  supermarket, to redeem it since many of the smaller convenience stores don't have large amounts of cash lying around.  Smaller amounts or just getting more tickets I do at a convenience store.  One time I did redeem a $400 winner in a convenience store.  My plan was to use it to buy money orders, and I was willing to pay the money order fee but I found out I didn't have to.  The clerk had to call her district manager to figure out how to do it, and I had to sign for them, but they did give me 2 free $200 money orders for my ticket.

In Louisiana, the retailer gets a 5% commission on every ticket they sell and 2% on every ticket they cash.  This encourages the retailers to cash winning tickets.  I wonder if Ohio has such an incentive. 

I recommend if a retailer doesn't want to redeem tickets and there are other lottery retailers available, take your business elsewhere.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"