Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won the lottery what would you really do with the money?

Topic closed. 76 replies. Last post 5 years ago by markp1950.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
grwurston's avatar - 144
Let's Go Rangers!!!
bel air maryland
United States
Member #90251
April 24, 2010
4882 Posts
Posted: October 20, 2011, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

I'd move to a 2 bedroom apartment. hahaha! It wouldn't matter because no one would know except for a very few well trusted friends / family.  I wouldn't have to keep working but would till I got the first check. I would not want to quit then have to beg to get my job back cause there was an error and I didn't win.

Seriously though, get a nice house, a couple of nice cars, play the pick3. Nothing flashy to make people talk, keep it low key.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

NY
    United States
    Member #103217
    December 31, 2010
    96 Posts
    Posted: October 20, 2011, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I have seen and done enough. Ofcourse you can always see and do more but that won't proportionately bring any more happiness. It will be joy to see folks who haven't had what I have taste a little.

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
      Member #3792
      February 21, 2004
      198 Posts
      Posted: October 20, 2011, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

start my own business, probably open a bar.  also, i'd buy some things, give to some charities, etc.

Baton Rouge, LA
        United States
        Member #4602
        May 7, 2004
        699 Posts
        Posted: October 20, 2011, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

Pay everything off, probably fix up the house we already have.  Not sure if I'd buy a new house or not, the one I have is fine.  My car is only 2 years old so I don't need a new one, but I'd buy one for my wife.

We'd also quit our jobs and put the money into some good accounts and live off the interest.  With MegaMillions coming to Louisiana soon, I'll have another opportunity to win.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Republic of Texas
          United States
          Member #57557
          January 9, 2008
          1095 Posts
          Posted: October 20, 2011, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to think I would be smart enough to listen to some good advisors. Wink Claiming would be through a series of trusts, FLPs, and similar entities to make it as anonymous as possible.

With a smaller jackpot, say less than $30m cash before taxes, I'd keep my job and buy rental properties for investment and income. I'd pay off family debts and pay for family vacations. Nothing spectacular or anything.

With a good sized jackpot, I'd set up a charity foundation or trust and make it my job to manage who gets what and how much through grant applications. I'd also add to it every year from my earnings.  On the more selfish side, I'd of course buy the usual new home, new cars, give to immediate family, etc. I'd also put the money to work buying higher end rental properties (townhomes and condos in upscale areas) and college area apartment buildings, then let my son manage the business.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

United States
            Member #118014
            October 20, 2011
            11 Posts
            Posted: October 21, 2011, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Buy a professional Sports Team?

Wow, jack, that stands in stark contrast to what a government of your choosing would allow, based on your previous posts and blog comment.

Well now, aren't you the incongruous one?

If the people you prefer in government were allowed their druthers, all sports teams would be owned by the government.

And all games would be declared a "tie" just to make it "fair".

Golly Golly, Miss Molly, that would be Nirvana for you and your competition hating friends, wouldn't it, jackie?

Bitter right-wing troll is bitter

I guess you're used to being allowed to drone on and on with useless rants, huh?

DFW, Texas
              United States
              Member #78628
              August 18, 2009
              134 Posts
              Posted: October 21, 2011, 12:55 am - IP Logged

Booze and skirts!  I'd die young.  And drunk.  And worn out.  And happy!

I'd be one of those winners everyone feels sorry for, but secretly envies.

And I'd take rdgrnr with me, in the same state, because he's cool.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49835 Posts
                Posted: October 21, 2011, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

ridgey ole palsey walsey jackfuller has four post and your jumping all over him...Be like tiggs nice and friendly and give the guy a chance....then jump down his throat!!..

What?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
                  Member #115803
                  August 28, 2011
                  127 Posts
                  Posted: October 21, 2011, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, I wouldn't change a whole lot.  We live a pretty decent life right now - nice home in a nice suburb, kids go to an excellent parochial elementary school, I like my job.

There are a few extras that aren't in our budget right now - son wants to play hockey, daughter wants to take dance lessons.  Both of those can really add up expense wise, but I'd definitely get sign the kids up if we won a lottery jackpot. 

I'd set aside money so that my kids could attend the high school and college of their choice.

I'd donate money to certain charitable organizations.

I'd look into the possibility of starting a business and/or investing in existing businesses to assist with job growth in this region.

Otherwise, I'd just be interested in the money for security.

That's about it...I'm pretty boring.  LOL

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                    Nova Scotia
                    Canada
                    Member #9934
                    December 27, 2004
                    885 Posts
                    Posted: October 21, 2011, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Well I have been looking at houses that I would like to move to if I won a decent amount of money. I work at lousy cleaning jobs right now, and want to quit so much, and as soon as I win something good, can finally quit.

I really want to move out of the neighbourhood I am at now, and would have to hire a moving company to move the furniture and household items, also I really want to get a passport and travel to the United States and other countries!

Dance

Set4life's avatar - 2554
                      East Hampton, NY
                      United States
                      Member #41995
                      June 25, 2006
                      1137 Posts
                      Posted: October 21, 2011, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Looking at $148 in the Powerball, If I do win it. I would take care of my family needs for life.  Then buy myself a stable of exotic cars and of course girls, girls lolEmbarassed

$Group Hug$

FOR THE WIN!

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: October 21, 2011, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Hey jackfullofit........pppppfffffff....from tiggs...:/

Pure luck

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: October 21, 2011, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Booze and skirts!  I'd die young.  And drunk.  And worn out.  And happy!

I'd be one of those winners everyone feels sorry for, but secretly envies.

And I'd take rdgrnr with me, in the same state, because he's cool.

Well thank you, Longarm.

Say when and I'll pack the Jack just in case of snakebite or somethin.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                            Mcminnville, Oregon
                            United States
                            Member #3013
                            December 13, 2003
                            3056 Posts
                            Posted: October 21, 2011, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

If I were lucky enough  to win powerball tomorrow night that is $90 million.  I would give $5 million to my mother and $2.5 million to my sister and $2.5 million to my brother in law.  Then with the $80 million left I would buy new underwear,socks,shoes and glasses.  Pay off all my debt and then start to play the lottery more often like all the jackpot games plus pick4 and keno.  Maybe start playing scratch its again too.  I would play video lottery at the mac club and drink my bloody maries and cold beers.  I would enjoy the money yes indeed.-weshar75

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: October 21, 2011, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

If I were lucky enough  to win powerball tomorrow night that is $90 million.  I would give $5 million to my mother and $2.5 million to my sister and $2.5 million to my brother in law.  Then with the $80 million left I would buy new underwear,socks,shoes and glasses.  Pay off all my debt and then start to play the lottery more often like all the jackpot games plus pick4 and keno.  Maybe start playing scratch its again too.  I would play video lottery at the mac club and drink my bloody maries and cold beers.  I would enjoy the money yes indeed.-weshar75

I hope you win weshar.Thumbs Up

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke