Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Commonalities among PB winning combinations

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 5 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19831 Posts
Posted: October 29, 2011, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Do PB winning combinations share similarities and commonalities?  Are there rules to follow that are more likely to forecast the next PB winning combination?  If there are what are they? 

This is the kind of knowledge many come to LP hoping someone has and is willing to share.   This kind of information would come in handy now that the PB jackpot is $200M+ and climbing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10354 Posts
    Posted: October 29, 2011, 10:44 am - IP Logged

RJOh,

"Are there rules to follow that are more likely to forecast the next PB winning combination?"

I'd say no. There may be rules that a certain number often gets paired with another number, but two of five pays nothing. Any 5 + 1 game is actually two games, even if you have the 5 of 5, you still have to have the right botom matrix number.

No rule or rules can predict one combination of over 195,000,000 + combinations.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
      The Ville, FL
      United States
      Member #95879
      August 19, 2010
      1708 Posts
      Posted: October 29, 2011, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

RJOh,

"Are there rules to follow that are more likely to forecast the next PB winning combination?"

I'd say no. There may be rules that a certain number often gets paired with another number, but two of five pays nothing. Any 5 + 1 game is actually two games, even if you have the 5 of 5, you still have to have the right botom matrix number.

No rule or rules can predict one combination of over 195,000,000 + combinations.

Coin Toss I agree. For the smaller matrix games its more possible to follow patterns, # combo's, "due #'s, etc etc...When we get to PowerBall, there is just too many combo's to to the game.

Powerball all boils down to luck. The possibilities are so endless thats the only thing that will help a player win. I play Quick Picks on PowerBall 99% of the time because there really is no way to manipulate the game itself

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7322 Posts
        Posted: October 29, 2011, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Do PB winning combinations share similarities and commonalities?  Are there rules to follow that are more likely to forecast the next PB winning combination?  If there are what are they? 

This is the kind of knowledge many come to LP hoping someone has and is willing to share.   This kind of information would come in handy now that the PB jackpot is $200M+ and climbing.

I used similar strategies on Rolling Cash 5 using only the combinations that produced jackpots and over time the results were close to the expected probability. Brad Duke used frequency of the last 50 drawings to hit his jackpot and I've matched 5 numbers on RC5 wheeling 15 numbers but I never had a 5 number match on one line because I used abbreviated wheels. Unless a full number wheel is used, the order the numbers are placed into the wheel are the most important factor.

The average player can't use a full 15 number wheel because of the cost ($3003 a drawing) and it would be very difficult to continue playing on the secondary prize winnings unless the 15 number group consistently produced 3 and 4 number matches. Most players are looking for the holy grail of systems where they can click a button and the winning numbers will appear. The only way that would be possible is if spreads between numbers were used and one of the five numbers was correct. I suppose all the bonus numbers could be used with that one combo but that too could become expensive if multiple combos were used.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: October 31, 2011, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

There were some commonalities between the previous PB combinations and the one drawn 10/29 and they were useful for eliminating combinations if you were playing 20 lines or less.

For example when comparing all 293 combinations with each other 95% of them had:

matched:         digits      sums      gaps      ranges
          0 = 161-204      4-8         88-226    1-29      17-57
          1 = 75-116
          2 = 7-23
          3 = 0-2
          4 = 0
          5 = 0

The winning combination 11-16-40-51-56 +38 matched the previous 293 drawings:

matched:         digits      sum       gaps       range
          0 = 188          5           174       5-24       46
          1 = 89
          2 = 15
          3 = 1
          4 = 0
          5 = 0

None of the combinations had ever repeated and PB #38 was from one of the top 15 PB repeating positions #23.  When comparing the now 294 combinations with each others those parameters won't change much if any.  Good luck if you're playing PB this Wednesday.

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: October 31, 2011, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

The most glaring commonality prevalent in winning PB combinations is that they aren't in my repertoire.

I find intuition to be my most consistent modality and that has been ranging in the 100% wrong range for a few decades now.

That being said, it's time to drink my lunch.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10354 Posts
              Posted: October 31, 2011, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

Let's think about this.

PB and MM are drawn twice a week, so depending on the first day of the year being a drawing day or not let's call it about 104 drawings a year.

Of those 104 drawings, 8 to 12 result in a jackpot being paid.

Of those 8 to 12 jackpots, 70 -80 %, or 5 to 8 go to (UT-OH!) QPs. There is the only coinsistent commonality.

Most of any other commonalities, if they even produce winners in the lowest prizes range, only go towards the purchase of more tickets.

Let's face it, if anyone ever did find anything that paid huge prizes consistently, the game would change.

No matter what you try, the lottery is many steps ahead of you.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7322 Posts
                Posted: October 31, 2011, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

Let's think about this.

PB and MM are drawn twice a week, so depending on the first day of the year being a drawing day or not let's call it about 104 drawings a year.

Of those 104 drawings, 8 to 12 result in a jackpot being paid.

Of those 8 to 12 jackpots, 70 -80 %, or 5 to 8 go to (UT-OH!) QPs. There is the only coinsistent commonality.

Most of any other commonalities, if they even produce winners in the lowest prizes range, only go towards the purchase of more tickets.

Let's face it, if anyone ever did find anything that paid huge prizes consistently, the game would change.

No matter what you try, the lottery is many steps ahead of you.

Makes you wonder how random the QPs really are. I don't check every drawing but in the few I've checked, the ratio of 5 number matches is pretty close to the expected matches based on the number of tickets sold. Every once in a while a player should expect to get a QP with 1-2-3-4-5 or 23-24-25-26-27 but I've never read where one LP member one of those tickets or never talked to anybody that did.

If the drawings are really random, shouldn't some drawings have a much higher or lower percentage of 5 number matches?

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                  Member #5599
                  July 13, 2004
                  1185 Posts
                  Posted: October 31, 2011, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

Do I detect a little fustrastation? The standard models and filters aren't working to expectations? Yet your stats show that you are doing something right. Aside from what I suggested in the mathematics and the lottery post (math section), you might want to consider this. Track how many games it takes to use all the lottery numbers...how long for 75% of them to be used.... etc. It's not a silver bullet but....

Good luck

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7322 Posts
                    Posted: November 1, 2011, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Makes you wonder how random the QPs really are. I don't check every drawing but in the few I've checked, the ratio of 5 number matches is pretty close to the expected matches based on the number of tickets sold. Every once in a while a player should expect to get a QP with 1-2-3-4-5 or 23-24-25-26-27 but I've never read where one LP member one of those tickets or never talked to anybody that did.

If the drawings are really random, shouldn't some drawings have a much higher or lower percentage of 5 number matches?

I forgot to edit after I posted. The questions should read:

If QPs are really random, shouldn't some drawings have a much higher or lower percentage of 5 number matches?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: November 1, 2011, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

I forgot to edit after I posted. The questions should read:

If QPs are really random, shouldn't some drawings have a much higher or lower percentage of 5 number matches?

Since only one combination of 5 of 5,006,386 can be correct, how wide would you expect the range of match5 to be?

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8364 Posts
                        Posted: November 1, 2011, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

I think there are commonalities with the same ball sets over time.  But we never get to know what ball set is in play next or last for that matter, i use the same group of numbers in a wheel for the MDogs challenges only changing one or two numbers for every draw and every 6 to 8 draws i get a 3 number win a lot of times. Could this be an attempt to pull off a commonality? I think so.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                          bobby623's avatar - abstract
                          San Angelo, Texas
                          United States
                          Member #1097
                          January 31, 2003
                          1394 Posts
                          Posted: November 2, 2011, 10:40 am - IP Logged

There were some commonalities between the previous PB combinations and the one drawn 10/29 and they were useful for eliminating combinations if you were playing 20 lines or less.

For example when comparing all 293 combinations with each other 95% of them had:

matched:         digits      sums      gaps      ranges
                          0 = 161-204      4-8         88-226    1-29      17-57
                          1 = 75-116
                          2 = 7-23
                          3 = 0-2
                          4 = 0
                          5 = 0

The winning combination 11-16-40-51-56 +38 matched the previous 293 drawings:

matched:         digits      sum       gaps       range
                          0 = 188          5           174       5-24       46
                          1 = 89
                          2 = 15
                          3 = 1
                          4 = 0
                          5 = 0

None of the combinations had ever repeated and PB #38 was from one of the top 15 PB repeating positions #23.  When comparing the now 294 combinations with each others those parameters won't change much if any.  Good luck if you're playing PB this Wednesday.

In my humble opinion, there are No commonalities.

Unless a system, workout, set of statistics, or whatever, includes clearly definable 'triggers' regarding what might  happen next, what's
                          the point.

Although I'm not really sure what the data shows, I don't see anything in these stats that would help me choose numbers for tonight's Powerball drawing.

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                            North Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #64582
                            September 1, 2008
                            347 Posts
                            Posted: November 2, 2011, 11:26 am - IP Logged

I have a Quickpick my husband bought 2 years ago for Powerball: 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 - 50. PB: 30

Didn't win a thing, of course.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7322 Posts
                              Posted: November 2, 2011, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Since only one combination of 5 of 5,006,386 can be correct, how wide would you expect the range of match5 to be?

The range should be proportional if each combo was sold for every $5 million in sales but if QPs are truly random, ten or more tickets could match 5 numbers or none. When we buy a QP are we getting a combo that hasn't already been sold or a random combo from the 5,006,386 combos?